BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 vs...    M5 CS vs Taycan Turbo Variants

10-03-2022, 03:38 PM   #1
APARSHr35
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M / 2016 M5

M5 CS vs Taycan Turbo Variants

Hey guys,
I test drove an M5 CS last week and really liked it.
About a year ago i test drove the Taycan Turbo S Sedan and loved it as well. And now the Taycan series has the Sport Turismo and Cross Turismo Wagons that look pretty cool (IMO).

If i were to order a brand new Taycan Turbo S of any variant, it would be a lot more money than the slightly used M5 CS's that are out there. But slightly used Taycan Turbo S's seem to be in the general ballpark of same price which got me thinking about the Taycan again.

here are the Pros / Cons I think of, would love to hear some opinions out there about the 2 cars.

M5 CS
-Better sound (V8TT vs electric)
-Modifiable
-I like the matte colors. obv can wrap anything
-I like the gold accent wheels/trim
-I like the look of the race seats both front and back
-Faster in rolls
-I like the interior slightly better than the taycan
-Less expensive if comparing to a new custom ordered taycan turbo s

Taycan
-Faster off the line if turbo s (turbo non-s seems similar)
-Should hold it's value better. This is a big bullet point for me. M5's have a clear history of extreme devaluation. Plenty of speculators out there think the CS is going to hold it's value differently...but as someone that owned an F10 M5 Pure Metal, i have a hard time believing that. But both cars could devalue a lot. Panameras are known for devaluing as well.
-I like the body style slightly better than the m5 cs
-3 versions (Sedan, Cross Turismo, Sport Turismo)
-Tons of options
-More tech? Hard to say how true this is, but definitely has more screens
-Ventilated front seats (I'm in San Diego area and this is great to have here)
-More comfortable seats (trade off though as the m5 cs carbon buckets look amazing)
-Panoramic roof (Again, San Diego, love opening roof if possible)
-3 seats in back bench. This is a trade off. The m5 CS back buckets are the coolest looking beack seats i've ever seen. You can get buckets in the taycan as well but with little kids sometimes it's nice to have the middle seat for friends.

I guess i feel like on paper the taycan make a huge argument to the M5 CS but emotion/feel for me tends to favor the CS. Maybe i'm just not ready to let go of combustion engines? Hard to make up my mind on this one.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 04:41 PM   #2
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Good comparison.

A few more things to consider:

- Track use - M5 CS is far better suited for the track than the Taycan.
- Utility use - The Taycan Cross Tourismo is very well suited for driving in mixed terrain and likely through the seasons. Check out the latest video from Harry's Garage.

Also - I think the Taycan will depreciate worse than the M5 CS.
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7837.00
      10-03-2022, 06:12 PM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I agree depreciation on electric cars from new makers remains to be seen. There will be a lot of progress and competition and early cars like the Taycan may end up being outdated pretty quickly. The Tesla Model S is 13 years old now. Whatever Tesla comes up with next should be a dramatic improvement. And other makers are bringing high end electrics to the market.

We also don’t know reliability or cost of repairs.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2022, 12:57 AM   #4
APARSHr35
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune7 View Post
Good comparison.

A few more things to consider:

- Track use - M5 CS is far better suited for the track than the Taycan.
- Utility use - The Taycan Cross Tourismo is very well suited for driving in mixed terrain and likely through the seasons. Check out the latest video from Harry's Garage.

Also - I think the Taycan will depreciate worse than the M5 CS.
That is a good point, but I have literally never been to a track. I've owned a GT3 RS, GT-R, RS6 Avant, GT500, F10 M5, e90 M3, z4 M Coupe, z06, etc and as much as i've always wanted to go, running a business and being a good dad/husband have always been higher on my priority list. But i do seem to like cars that were made for track driving. Hopefully as time goes by i'll have more people to do what i do to run my company so i can spend more time doing things like track days.

As far as utility goes, i have an F150 Raptor and my wife has an SUV so i don't think i'd ever get much use out of a cross turismo for actual off road use. I noticed today that the Sport turismo is only in GTS form right now, which i think is really odd. Why would the off road version have a Turbo S but not the street version?

I'm now thinking about test driving a regular 2018-2022 m5 to see how much better the CS feels. Maybe i should just get an older used one and mod it? That way i can have ventilated seats, sunroof, better sound system, good power, and some of the depreciation will have already been done. From reviews i've watched/read it seems like everyone says the CS feels completely different than a standard F90 M5 though.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 04:50 AM   #5
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

All electric cars will depreciate due to the high cost of battery replacement. With an ICE, you may or may not have to pay for a massive repair bill but an EV is guaranteed to have a battery replacement at some point if you keep it long enough. No one is going to pay top dollar for a used EV that has a $40k battery replacement coming up soon. Also, EV tech is going to be improving quickly so the value of an old EV will be quickly overshadowed by new tech being introduced on new models. I don't think they will hold value well. Just my opinion as I see it.
Appreciate 4
Maverik2594140.00
Aronis2273.00
AlexFL7837.00
      10-04-2022, 01:37 PM   #6
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
All electric cars will depreciate due to the high cost of battery replacement. With an ICE, you may or may not have to pay for a massive repair bill but an EV is guaranteed to have a battery replacement at some point if you keep it long enough. No one is going to pay top dollar for a used EV that has a $40k battery replacement coming up soon. Also, EV tech is going to be improving quickly so the value of an old EV will be quickly overshadowed by new tech being introduced on new models. I don't think they will hold value well. Just my opinion as I see it.
This. I would stay away from electric cars if your thought process is resale or depreciation. Tesla owners are learning the hard way right now and Porsche/Audi isn't any better. Watch some reviews of real life with an electric taycan and it will quickly turn you off from going full ev just yet.

And personally I would go comp over CS if you are concerned with tech or features at all. Car is designed to be a track car that can also be a daily. Comp sounds better suited to what you're looking for.

Either way, get one before they go hybrid and get a glued on dash screen.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2022, 01:45 PM   #7
APARSHr35
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for chiming in subter.

I'm pretty set on going with an M5 now and have ruled out the Taycan. I was thinking about how my wife's Rivian R1S should be here soon and will probably be so similar to a taycan in some ways that it might be redundant. Also my cybertruck should be showing up at some point in the next few years too. I decided to give into my gut feeling on this one and go for the M5. I do want to test drive a regular M5 or M5 Comp and see how much better the CS feels. Maybe i'll even keep my GT500 and just sell my e90 M3 to move up to an F90 m5. Decisions Decisions...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 06:02 PM   #8
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by APARSHr35 View Post
Hey guys,
I test drove an M5 CS last week and really liked it.
About a year ago i test drove the Taycan Turbo S Sedan and loved it as well. And now the Taycan series has the Sport Turismo and Cross Turismo Wagons that look pretty cool (IMO).

If i were to order a brand new Taycan Turbo S of any variant, it would be a lot more money than the slightly used M5 CS's that are out there. But slightly used Taycan Turbo S's seem to be in the general ballpark of same price which got me thinking about the Taycan again.

here are the Pros / Cons I think of, would love to hear some opinions out there about the 2 cars.

M5 CS
-Better sound (V8TT vs electric)
-Modifiable
-I like the matte colors. obv can wrap anything
-I like the gold accent wheels/trim
-I like the look of the race seats both front and back
-Faster in rolls
-I like the interior slightly better than the taycan
-Less expensive if comparing to a new custom ordered taycan turbo s

Taycan
-Faster off the line if turbo s (turbo non-s seems similar)
-Should hold it's value better. This is a big bullet point for me. M5's have a clear history of extreme devaluation. Plenty of speculators out there think the CS is going to hold it's value differently...but as someone that owned an F10 M5 Pure Metal, i have a hard time believing that. But both cars could devalue a lot. Panameras are known for devaluing as well.
-I like the body style slightly better than the m5 cs
-3 versions (Sedan, Cross Turismo, Sport Turismo)
-Tons of options
-More tech? Hard to say how true this is, but definitely has more screens
-Ventilated front seats (I'm in San Diego area and this is great to have here)
-More comfortable seats (trade off though as the m5 cs carbon buckets look amazing)
-Panoramic roof (Again, San Diego, love opening roof if possible)
-3 seats in back bench. This is a trade off. The m5 CS back buckets are the coolest looking beack seats i've ever seen. You can get buckets in the taycan as well but with little kids sometimes it's nice to have the middle seat for friends.

I guess i feel like on paper the taycan make a huge argument to the M5 CS but emotion/feel for me tends to favor the CS. Maybe i'm just not ready to let go of combustion engines? Hard to make up my mind on this one.

Thoughts?
Seems to me you already have an obvious winner. Go get a Taycan.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 07:45 PM   #9
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5 CS

Quote:

I'm pretty set on going with an M5 now and have ruled out the Taycan. I was thinking about how my wife's Rivian R1S should be here soon and will probably be so similar to a taycan in some ways that it might be redundant. Also my cybertruck should be showing up at some point in the next few years too. I decided to give into my gut feeling on this one and go for the M5. I do want to test drive a regular M5 or M5 Comp and see how much better the CS feels. Maybe i'll even keep my GT500 and just sell my e90 M3 to move up to an F90 m5. Decisions Decisions...

Are you the YouTube guy who has the gt500 and a blue e90?
You should drive a CS, not a non CS M5.
The seats and steering feel (due to the stiffer engine mounts) make for a very different experience. I’ve had an e9x for 10 years and can feel more through the CS rack than the hydraulic rack of my old m3.
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7837.00
      10-04-2022, 07:50 PM   #10
Kstoff125
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

M5cs is a special car today and will be 5, 10, 30 years from now. A Taycan, while a very nice car, is just that…a nice car.

In 5 years the Taycan will be a fossil, simply because the tech will advance so fast. The m5cs will most likely increase in uniqueness and might possibly increase in value (or atleast Hold it). I would argue it is timeless, both in function and design.

Both are awesome and you really can't make a bad choice.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2022, 04:04 AM   #11
APARSHr35
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malrash View Post
The seats and steering feel (due to the stiffer engine mounts) make for a very different experience. I’ve had an e9x for 10 years and can feel more through the CS rack than the hydraulic rack of my old m3.
Yes that is me.
I already did drive one. I just have not driven a base/Comp version M5.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 05:54 AM   #12
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes that is me.
I already did drive one. I just have not driven a base/Comp version M5.

Ah yes, I think you mentioned driving one at 5 or 10k over.
I do believe there won’t be better ICE M5, however there will be generations of better Taycans
As to your point about depreciation, once the recession is over, and economy rebounds and hybrid heavier M5s are all over the place, well maintained and relatively low mile CS examples will still trade at fairly good prices. No guarantees but that’s what I expect.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 06:48 AM   #13
Kponti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8C comp

Quote:
People keep saying this, yet model S Tesla's from a decade ago are still holding on to their values very well! Just cos.it makes sense in your mind doesn't translate to what happens in the real world usually

Using the tech changing rapidly logic, it would also mean more aftermarket companies will eventually make replacement batteries for these cars for much much cheaper as time.goes on, negating that point.

M5 will cost a lot more than a Tesla to maintain to 200k miles. Battery replacement costs included.
Prove me wrong!
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2022, 06:51 AM   #14
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by malrash View Post
Quote:

Umm, Engine mounts are the same as the Comp bruh.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 01:00 PM   #15
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Umm, Engine mounts are the same as the Comp bruh.
Should have clarified…. Stiffer than ‘non comp’ M5
Happy bruh ?
Doesn’t change what I said….
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 09:31 AM   #16
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Very good write up. Only thing I don't agree with is the Taycan holding value better. Nothing limited or special about a Taycan Turbo S. It will most certainly depreciate much more than the M5 CS.

Cheers!

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 02:31 AM   #17
APARSHr35
Rep

Just an update.
I drove a base M5 a few days ago and did not like it that much. Great car, but feels more "tank-ish." The CS feels a lot more agile and fun. I really was hoping i'd like the Base/Comp a lot so i could talk myself into getting one and saving a lot of money but now i'm definitely going to hold out for a CS. I may wait longer, i dont think they will hold their value that well compared the vehicles i would consider selling for the CS.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 08:39 AM   #18
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Just an update.
I drove a base M5 a few days ago and did not like it that much. Great car, but feels more "tank-ish." The CS feels a lot more agile and fun. I really was hoping i'd like the Base/Comp a lot so i could talk myself into getting one and saving a lot of money but now i'm definitely going to hold out for a CS. I may wait longer, i dont think they will hold their value that well compared the vehicles i would consider selling for the CS.
Hello,

What type of test drive did you perform to compare the cars? Were these drives on highways, roads around the dealership with speed limits less than 50 mph, twisty roads?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 07:22 PM   #19
Kstoff125
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Quote:
Just an update.
Hello,

What type of test drive did you perform to compare the cars? Were these drives on highways, roads around the dealership with speed limits less than 50 mph, twisty roads?
I can relate to the feel. I owned a 997.3 911 Turbo S…car was amazing and felt like something that came straight off a track. Sold it for a 997.2 911 GT2, after a 20 min test drive in the GT2 the Turbo felt like a minivan. Crazy how much of the feel/opinion is driven by perspective.

I think all m5s are awesome, but when making comparisons I would agree, after driving a cs there will be noticeable differences when driving a base. But again, both cars are awesome.

I will also note, you can drive a 911 Turbo S all day…the 997 GT2 is good for about an hour
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 08:32 PM   #20
M5Neededi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5, Ram 1500

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [0.00]
Taycan is a much heavier car (1000 lbs more?) so it would be more tank-ish even with all the insane torque from the electric motors.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 06:56 AM   #21
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

My brother has a Plaid. Despite the torque, it feels like driving a lead weight. M5 feels far more nimble.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 03:26 AM   #22
APARSHr35
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Hello,

Twisty roads for both. Did not take the CS on the freeway, was lucky enough to be near some backroads where you can push the car a bit. I took the M5 Base on both twisty backroads and the freeway.

Just in case it matters.

I test drove a 992 Turbo S about 8 months ago. Did not like it. It felt slow for regular driving as funny as that sounds. No character. I think if it had an aftermarket exaust i would have liked it better. I had just sold my 991.2 GT3 RS so i suppose i prefer the track feel even in my daily. I LOVED my GT3 RS. I'm not sad i sold it though.

I also drove the Taycan Turbo S on both sideroads and freeway. I've gotta admit, it was impressive. Really great feeling car all around.
Appreciate 0