BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 vs...    Pre-LCI F90 M5 AWD vs G80 M3 Comp AWD

06-02-2022, 08:16 AM   #1
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' F90 M5c

Pre-LCI F90 M5 AWD vs G80 M3 Comp AWD

So I have searched and came across a few threads comparing the f90 and g80 but I am 2 weeks out from taking delivery on my new G80 comp xdrive and I keep coming back to the f90. The LCI is a little out of my price range in this market so I would have to opt for a 2019 M5 most likely the competition.

Every time I see the LCI M5 I drool because it is by far my favorite BMW and going for the pre LCI hurts a little because in my opinion it looks a little outdated comparatively. Now I do still think it is a beautiful machine and I have driven it and loved it.

If you were in my position what would you do. The G80 is Msrp so I would feel safer in purchasing that over the used car market for value and the fear that the market crashes the f90 would lose alot more value. I have one 13 month old so I need the sedan and these are the two best options in front of me.

I tell myself get the G80 drive it for 2 years and get the upcoming M5 but who knows what the future holds. What is your opinion on the pre-lci f90 vs the g80 comp xdrive today. (keeping in mind if I could swing the LCI without feeling like it was a bad financial decision I would so that is out of the question)
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 08:38 AM   #2
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

I would take the new G80 Comp. A brand new ride. Especially since your thoughts include “dated “ and especially 13 month old.

Enjoy a new, BAD ride with full warranty and your family.
Appreciate 1
jm490519.00
      06-02-2022, 09:14 AM   #3
CosmicCharlie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M5 comp, '24 X7 m60i

I would certainly take the g80 over a pre-lci f90.

In my opinion the pre-lci f90 looks outdated, the headlights especially never looked right to me. I really like the progressive styling of the g80 and it will be years before that car looks "old", whereas the pre-lci f90 already does. Anytime you see an LCI f90 or the next gen when that comes out, you may regret having an older looking car.

If you don't care so much about looks and prioritize effortless rocket ship acceleration, by all means the f90 is your car… otherwise a brand new m3 seems like a better option!
Appreciate 2
jm490519.00
somer966.00
      06-02-2022, 09:24 AM   #4
Luminous
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

I'm obviously biased but my vote goes for the F90. Even the pre-lci looks way better than the g80 imo. The M5 is really just the perfect car in terms of performance and practicality.

2015 SO M3 6MT

2015 BSM M235xi
Appreciate 10
      06-02-2022, 10:06 AM   #5
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
I would take the new G80 Comp. A brand new ride. Especially since your thoughts include “dated “ and especially 13 month old.

I agree with this recommendation based on the OP’s concerns in his post.
Appreciate 1
jm490519.00
      06-02-2022, 02:56 PM   #6
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Quote:

I agree with this recommendation based on the OP’s concerns in his post.
Quote:
I would take the new G80 Comp. A brand new ride. Especially since your thoughts include "dated " and especially 13 month old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicCharlie View Post
I would certainly take the g80 over a pre-lci f90.

In my opinion the pre-lci f90 looks outdated, the headlights especially never looked right to me. I really like the progressive styling of the g80 and it will be years before that car looks "old", whereas the pre-lci f90 already does. Anytime you see an LCI f90 or the next gen when that comes out, you may regret having an older looking car.

If you don't care so much about looks and prioritize effortless rocket ship acceleration, by all means the f90 is your car… otherwise a brand new m3 seems like a better option!
Quote:
Quote:
I would take the new G80 Comp. A brand new ride. Especially since your thoughts include "dated " and especially 13 month old.

I agree with this recommendation based on the OP's concerns in his post.

Thank you all for the recommendation and thoughts on this. I tend to sway this way and it makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 12:32 AM   #7
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm490 View Post

I tell myself get the G80 drive it for 2 years and get the upcoming M5 but who knows what the future holds. What is your opinion on the pre-lci f90 vs the g80 comp xdrive today. (keeping in mind if I could swing the LCI without feeling like it was a bad financial decision I would so that is out of the question)
In my opinion as a "pre lci" owner. Sure, the headlights and a few other bits and pieces are different. I personally don't think it looks that dated. But I can see why one would say that.

Interior is nearly identical, and really just talking about headlights, grill, and taillights ( I know other minor things as well).

With that said, the better car in my opinion is the M5 with out a doubt. Not just the power, luxury, and refinement. It obviously larger. The V8 in my opinion sounds better, is smoother, more refined feeling, and can be almost 2 cars in one, luxury and beast. Where the M3, while with out a doubt is a great car, in my opinion it is still a bit less classy. That sounds terrible, but I don't mean it that bad. I just think the m5 over all is a "nicer" more desirable car in general. Again just my opinion. It's not as in your face, but certainly is no fly under the radar sleeper.

Keep in mind, the g80 buying at MSRP will face the same (likely MORE) depreciation in 2 years than a pre-owned M5. the M5 has already depreciated a little to start off with. In 2 years, chances are you'll be in a similar maybe better spot with the M5 as folks who consider the new M5 then will either hate it or love it. Some will stick with the prior model, which can help maintain that value a little when a new version comes out.

That being said, if you're considering in 2 years getting the "new M5" you'll likely take less hit on 2018-2020 M5 in terms of value than the g80. The first 2 years historically are the biggest drop in value from new. Also, if its an interim car before a new m5, by then there will probably be an updated M3 as well (lci) so does it really matter? They'll all look dated. M3 will be dated to its LCI, f90 looks dated compared to LCI, and LCI will look dated when new m5 comes out. You'll go crazy always chasing the newest body style, and in my opinion the least risky is the 2018-2020 m5 thats already taken deprecation hit. I would buy the M3 only if the car fits your needs better. If you're considering booting any of them for new m5 in 2 years I would be buying the one that has the least chance of large depreciation. Which is the one which as already had the most depreciation currently.
Appreciate 7
      06-03-2022, 03:33 AM   #8
EM5C
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Competition

Garage List
F90 all day... I have major bias as a pre-LCI owner. I think they look fantastic. Everyone has their opinions of course. Hope you end up getting what works best for you and your fam! Good luck!
Appreciate 3
jm490519.00
DavidXJ663.00
bmellion161.50
      06-03-2022, 07:29 AM   #9
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnotrom711 View Post
In my opinion as a "pre lci" owner. Sure, the headlights and a few other bits and pieces are different. I personally don't think it looks that dated. But I can see why one would say that.

Interior is nearly identical, and really just talking about headlights, grill, and taillights ( I know other minor things as well).

With that said, the better car in my opinion is the M5 with out a doubt. Not just the power, luxury, and refinement. It obviously larger. The V8 in my opinion sounds better, is smoother, more refined feeling, and can be almost 2 cars in one, luxury and beast. Where the M3, while with out a doubt is a great car, in my opinion it is still a bit less classy. That sounds terrible, but I don't mean it that bad. I just think the m5 over all is a "nicer" more desirable car in general. Again just my opinion. It's not as in your face, but certainly is no fly under the radar sleeper.

Keep in mind, the g80 buying at MSRP will face the same (likely MORE) depreciation in 2 years than a pre-owned M5. the M5 has already depreciated a little to start off with. In 2 years, chances are you'll be in a similar maybe better spot with the M5 as folks who consider the new M5 then will either hate it or love it. Some will stick with the prior model, which can help maintain that value a little when a new version comes out.

That being said, if you're considering in 2 years getting the "new M5" you'll likely take less hit on 2018-2020 M5 in terms of value than the g80. The first 2 years historically are the biggest drop in value from new. Also, if its an interim car before a new m5, by then there will probably be an updated M3 as well (lci) so does it really matter? They'll all look dated. M3 will be dated to its LCI, f90 looks dated compared to LCI, and LCI will look dated when new m5 comes out. You'll go crazy always chasing the newest body style, and in my opinion the least risky is the 2018-2020 m5 thats already taken deprecation hit. I would buy the M3 only if the car fits your needs better. If you're considering booting any of them for new m5 in 2 years I would be buying the one that has the least chance of large depreciation. Which is the one which as already had the most depreciation currently.

I understand where you're coming from and appreciate the insight. Where my thought process is here is that used car price inflation is much higher than new car msrp prices, or at least I would think so. pre owned M5 prices now are much higher than normal. If the market were to level (who knows if and when) an msrp car thats extremely hard to get a hold of for the foreseeable future should in theory lose less value than the outgoing M5 model.

Either way this is not the deciding factor for me. I know very well that whatever I get will lose more value than if I waited another year or two but I need a car and these are my two best options. Im not per se chasing the newest thing as I am seriously considering the Pre Lci M5 and have always loved it but it is a harder decision to make than just pick that or new G80. On one hand the M5 is more comfortable/luxurious and faster and bigger for my growing family. But on the other hand, I only have one child and the M3 can fit my family needs perfectly, is brand new (hopefully less headaches on a new car) new style, harder to get, and I happen to really like the new styling. With all of that being said I think Ill probably need to find a way to test drive both on the same day which has always been the best deciding factor imo.

Cant go wrong either way
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 09:10 AM   #10
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

M3 = sirloin
M5 = filet
Appreciate 4
      06-03-2022, 09:12 AM   #11
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnotrom711 View Post

I understand where you're coming from and appreciate the insight. Where my thought process is here is that used car price inflation is much higher than new car msrp prices, or at least I would think so. pre owned M5 prices now are much higher than normal. If the market were to level (who knows if and when) an msrp car thats extremely hard to get a hold of for the foreseeable future should in theory lose less value than the outgoing M5 model.

Either way this is not the deciding factor for me. I know very well that whatever I get will lose more value than if I waited another year or two but I need a car and these are my two best options. Im not per se chasing the newest thing as I am seriously considering the Pre Lci M5 and have always loved it but it is a harder decision to make than just pick that or new G80. On one hand the M5 is more comfortable/luxurious and faster and bigger for my growing family. But on the other hand, I only have one child and the M3 can fit my family needs perfectly, is brand new (hopefully less headaches on a new car) new style, harder to get, and I happen to really like the new styling. With all of that being said I think Ill probably need to find a way to test drive both on the same day which has always been the best deciding factor imo.

Cant go wrong either way
Do not test drive the M5 first if you are even considering the M3…
Appreciate 4
      06-04-2022, 12:40 PM   #12
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (F90), Tacoma, GTI

My vote is for the M5 over a new M3. I purchased a new 2015 F80 M3 in July of 2014 and I never liked the sound of the exhaust note. I then transitioned out of the M3 in August of 2018 into my current 2018 M5. The only thing I miss from my F80 M3 is the size of the vehicle, my belief is the F90 M5 is a large car and I wish it was smaller. My M5 has every option except CCB and night vision. The full leather and B&W stereo is worth the price of admission and elevates the car to different level over the M3.

Looks are always going to be subjective. I am not a fan of the new front grill on the new M3/M4. I still think the E39 M5 and E46 M3 are my favorite looking M cars of all time. I like my pre-lci dash over the current dash in the F90.

The one draw back going with a used M5 in your case a 2019 is the vehicle warranty will expire once it hits the 4 year mark. Then there is the cost of maintenance. My current M5 is due for its annual maintenance this month. BMW quoted me $660 to complete the maintenance. They will change the oil ($258) and micro filters ($258) and perform and inspection (look over). I will do the maintenance myself for just over $250 in parts. BMW quoted me around 7k to extend my warranty for 3 more years with a $50 ded. platinum warranty. So I would keep this in mind when considering the F90 M5. Buying a new G80 you will have 4 years of warranty and 3 years of free maintenance. Both are great cars.

Last edited by Egrunt; 06-05-2022 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 3
jm490519.00
DavidXJ663.00
jhbodle145.50
      06-13-2022, 03:56 PM   #13
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

OP: I was in a similar position to you earlier this spring, with an order down on a G80x. I cancelled it after being bumped into MY23 and thus into the territory of IDrive 8, which was a deal breaker for me. Then I reconnected with my longstanding enchantment with M5s and everything a charismatic V8 has to offer. By all accounts, you have to rev a G80 before it comes alive and the chassis starts to become
truly captivating when you're pushing it over 4-5k rpm. Yes, to be sure, it's more nimble. But with my F90, I just press the start button and the intoxication flows from there onward... As to datedness: the pre-LCI M5 comps sound better (in the UK) anyway so, in my case, that easily outweighed any preemptive concerns about potential age. And in any case, as other folks here have pointed out, the LCI updates are largely cosmetic on the exterior--more noticeable from the rear perhaps, but only aficionados (like us!) would have an aesthetic investment in that degree of modulation in design language. Bottom line: I've had a lot of attention and admiration in the short time I've owned my 2020 F90, and no refresh is going to detract from that. Presence doesn't have an expiry date. Besides, a pre-LCI will still have all the tech you'd ever need; and if you're worried about scale, don't be, since the car genuinely shrinks remarkably around you (hiding its bulk) when you start to push it dynamically.

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 3
      06-13-2022, 04:11 PM   #14
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidXJ View Post
OP: I was in a similar position to you earlier this spring, with an order down on a G80x. I cancelled it after being bumped into MY23 and thus into the territory of IDrive 8, which was a deal breaker for me. Then I reconnected with my longstanding enchantment with M5s and everything a charismatic V8 has to offer. By all accounts, you have to rev a G80 before it comes alive and the chassis starts to become
truly captivating when you're pushing it over 4-5k rpm. Yes, to be sure, it's more nimble. But with my F90, I just press the start button and the intoxication flows from there onward... As to datedness: the pre-LCI M5 comps sound better (in the UK) anyway so, in my case, that easily outweighed any preemptive concerns about potential age. And in any case, as other folks here have pointed out, the LCI updates are largely cosmetic on the exterior--more noticeable from the rear perhaps, but only aficionados (like us!) would have an aesthetic investment in that degree of modulation in design language. Bottom line: I've had a lot of attention and admiration in the short time I've owned my 2020 F90, and no refresh is going to detract from that. Presence doesn't have an expiry date. Besides, a pre-LCI will still have all the tech you'd ever need; and if you're worried about scale, don't be, since the car genuinely shrinks remarkably around you (hiding its bulk) when you start to push it dynamically.
This was very well thought out and I appreciate your input on this. My G80 is at the port. I have not decided yet for sure but this helps and I will continue to weigh the pros and cons until I decide.

One thing I think is that the front of the LCI is way more noticeable than the back imo. The front has more presence and looks like it could be out another 10 years and not be dated. That's my biggest gripe about pre lci and lci.

Thank you for your thoughts on this!
Appreciate 1
DavidXJ663.00
      06-14-2022, 02:59 AM   #15
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
This was very well thought out and I appreciate your input on this. My G80 is at the port. I have not decided yet for sure but this helps and I will continue to weigh the pros and cons until I decide.

One thing I think is that the front of the LCI is way more noticeable than the back imo. The front has more presence and looks like it could be out another 10 years and not be dated. That's my biggest gripe about pre lci and lci.

Thank you for your thoughts on this!
Glad to have been of some help in your deliberations. It's not an easy decision; no one would envy you, in this situation.

In terms of the front-end design, I think you could make a case for both pre-LCI and LCI models being aggressive in their own way. Don't get me wrong, I like what they've done to the LCI, and originally I was in the market for one, as I felt they did indeed look more 'up-to-date' (and you're right, it'll still look fresh in a decade's time). However, as soon as it became apparent that in Europe they'd somewhat ruined the engine note and muted the exhaust acoustics for the LCIs/MY21s onwards, then for me obtaining a good condition pre-LCI became non-negotiable. (The only thing that made be a bit cautious about the pre-LCI Comp was the complaints from some reviewers that it was too firm: those worries turned out to be unfounded, as it's a surprisingly compliant ride.)

It was at that point that I appreciated the halo DRLs on the pre-LCI, which are so iconic for the marque. Yes, the design language of the lights gestures to the F80 generation, which might make you feel like it's retro, to some extent. But the L-shaped lights on the LCI don't retain that signature sense of menace (in my view); and what's more, after someone elsewhere on this forum pointed out that the new L-design looks like it's almost imitating what VW do to their contemporary Golfs, I couldn't un-see that resemblance!

One other thing you might notice is the lower splitter curves upward on the LCI, in a way that makes front look a little more snouty, from certain angles, whereas the pre-LCI has quite a brutishly flat and imposing face. But again, all this personal preference, more than anything, and these aesthetic considerations have more traction for us than for your average onlooker--who will be admiring your beast, whenever you visit the gas station, regardless of which version you opt for!

Very best of luck with your decision.

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 2
      06-14-2022, 07:13 AM   #16
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Actually, many people would envy the OP. What $80k car to buy is a challenge only for the well-off in the first world. I’d get in touch with reality and qualify that by saying something like “no one on this forum would envy the OP”
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2022, 10:28 AM   #17
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Actually, many people would envy the OP. What $80k car to buy is a challenge only for the well-off in the first world. I’d get in touch with reality and qualify that by saying something like “no one on this forum would envy the OP”
Thanks for the advice and for pointing out the risks of universalism (it was simply a turn of phrase). I didn't mean to generalise this chap's dilemma or overlook the implicit privilege--a privilege that, surely, most forum members readily acknowledge is the basic premise (the foundational 'reality', as you put it) of a platform for exchanging views on luxury cars. It's a micro-culture; no one denies that. If we were to be immaculately scrupulous about our own status as economic beneficiaries, then we wouldn't participate in the market logic of buying flash cars at all.

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 12:46 PM   #18
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

It is good practice to be thinking about what you say and how you say it in any public environment. I don’t see any problem discussing issues in choosing which expensive car to buy while observing that good practice.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 10:50 PM   #19
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

I vote for the pre-LCI f90. G80 is really ugly with the pig nose. Not to mention the price on G80 is extremely inflated. LCI F90 also doesn't look as good as pre-LCI. The grill is too big and headlights are just the boring L design that's copied from other manufacturers.

BMW has really lost creativity in recent model designs. Everything is copied from other manufacturers. Big ass grill copied from Lexus and Audi. L shaped headlights copied from Volkswagen, and split headlights copied from Hyundai or Kia. WTF?
DavidXJ663.00
bmellion161.50
      06-18-2022, 12:41 PM   #20
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It is good practice to be thinking about what you say and how you say it in any public environment. I don't see any problem discussing issues in choosing which expensive car to buy while observing that good practice.
Good practices indeed. But I have to counter the implied critique here by saying that I certainly do think carefully about what I write, and I believe the OP has already appreciated how I thought through the questions he was asking in opening this thread in the first place. Cavilling at other members' choice of phrasing, on the other hand, or being censorious for its own sake, is something one ought to avoid, so as to avoid in turn the tendency to make a moral mountain out of a rhetorical mole hill. I typically think of a luxury car forum as probably not the most effective place to thrash out in public the principles of socioeconomic (in)equity that are symptomatically revealed by ownership choices or dilemmas, and I'm acutely mindful of the condescension that can accompany the calling out of unacknowledged privilege. At the very least, there's always the risk of detracting from the original premise of a given thread..!

Indeed, sorry, OP: your discussion had been evolving well, and it's unfortunate that it had to be diverted down this siding.

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 08:33 PM   #21
3er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

My vote is a pre LCI M5 comp. Having had an F80 and now a 2019 M5 comp, there's no going back to an M3. Faster, sounds better, good mix of sport and luxury, and more useable back seats. I also think the M5 is a much better looking car over the G80, even pre LCI. Just get a BMW extended warranty and drive the shit out of it!
jm490519.00
Egrunt553.00
      06-22-2022, 09:42 PM   #22
JetAV8R
United_States
Rep
Drives: '73 Dart Swinger

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [0.00]
LCI vs pre…. For me the biggest improvement is the tail lights. The biggest mistake is the instrument cluster. The older version looks like a proper M car with the round bezels. I think the new one seems a little too corvette-ish and not enough M.

Bottom line is that all of the F90 model M5s look amazing. Clearly the best looking current M model. At a time when even Ferrari is screwing the pooch styling some of its models and everything will soon be electric, these all should look nice for quite some time.
Appreciate 2
jm490519.00
bmellion161.50