BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    M Sport Vs. M Performance Exhaust /F90

02-08-2023, 06:21 PM   #23
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdogray View Post
Picked up mine today. Absolutely love MPE. Great balance of exhaust notes. Love the easy blurbles, but not so easy they get annoying.
What gets annoying?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 06:23 PM   #24
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Nothing at all! I love everything.

Running the track at PC was a wild experience, too.
Appreciate 2
      02-08-2023, 06:28 PM   #25
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Nothing at all! I love everything.

Running the track at PC was a wild experience, too.
OK. I miss read your post. That’s awesome news. I’m excited to get mine. It’s at the port right now in Bremerhaven and got there sometime this morning. I hope it makes a ship fast.
Appreciate 2
      02-08-2023, 06:50 PM   #26
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Picked up mine today. Absolutely love MPE. Great balance of exhaust notes. Love the easy blurbles, but not so easy they get annoying.
Congratulations! Finally! Please do a delivery thread for us once you get through that initial period of completely pure, unadulterated enjoyment that only a new delivery can bring.
      02-08-2023, 06:54 PM   #27
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

I was planning on posting something but it's so much to write on phone. Gonna wait until I get home to a real keyboard. Also, I am always at a loss as to how I can take such terrible photos on a modern phone. I have some but they seem to lack so much detail. Will try again later. I took it immediately to Extreme from the PC for tinting. They did a great job. Would have probably gotten wrapped too, but I didn't have the time to stay. They're a good $2k cheaper than home. I looked over a few cars they had wrapped and was pretty impressed. You really have to look to see edges anywhere, and those are in like small, awkward corner spots you just aren't going to see. Majority of everything is wrapped around all edges.
Appreciate 2
      02-10-2023, 02:07 PM   #28
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

So the MPE leaves me quite gruntled. It definitely gets attention, positive and negative. I do try and mitigate the cold start when I leave for the gym at 6AM but so far not even putting it in drive truly stops it from roaring. I thought I had read you could put it in drive and just sit there braked so it at least would get the engine's juices flowing, but it just climbs back up to a roar if I do that. So then I actually pull out and start driving, and while waiting for the gate to open, it steals another opportunity to build to another roar. Lol. So I'm not sure if this was a recent change or I misunderstood the methods to squelch it. No one has complained, and unless they are in the garage I don't think anyone can hear it... or at least to the point it would wake them. Probably just going to just wait the 20-30 seconds from now on. Apparently it can be coded out with an ECU flash, but beyond cosmetic annoyances that can be changed with BimmerCode or something like that, I don't really plan on dicking around with the ECU.

From the reactions I get, it is far louder outside the vehicle. The car is solid and insulated well enough that it seems to give a false impression of not being that loud. But that cold-start roar is definitely audible. And I love those sweet, cooing blurbles it is constantly whispering in my ears.

Last edited by nerdogray; 02-10-2023 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 02:12 PM   #29
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Does turning the exhaust button off prior to startup make a difference?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 02:16 PM   #30
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

I don't think so based on what I've read before, but I have not personally tried it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 03:10 PM   #31
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
None of the port-installed options show up on my configuration on the web. Not a single one. Even after having been installed. Maybe that will change after they print the sticker?

Mine only shows Sports Exhaust, as well, but MPE has been installed. Picking up next week.
That's weird Mike shoe's all the options and it always did (until the site glitches and only showed me exterior and interior color fir a few months)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 03:18 PM   #32
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Yea, mine never showed anything beyond exterior and interior from start to finish. I need to go swap out the mats and grab the sticker out of the trunk. Need to do a lot of things.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 03:21 PM   #33
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune7 View Post
Does turning the exhaust button off prior to startup make a difference?
Nope no difference, the exhaust button only controls overrun (burbles) and asd with the m performance exhaust.

nerdogray to cancel the cold start dump it in drove and immediately start moving, if you stop at all, the revs will build back up almost instantly (since the m5 trans basically disconnects when stopped like the old dct did, you can see this clearly if you're sitting there with foot on brake let go abruptly, car takes a sec to finally get moving) cold start is more of an emissions thing than anything else, but u personally don't like dumping the car into gear from 2k rpm, feels like I'm doing a neutral bomb, obviously nowhere near as bad as an actual neutral bomb but still I don't wanna add to wear and tear if I don't have to.
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1301.50
      02-10-2023, 03:25 PM   #34
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

That explains what I experienced this morning. I'll just wait for it to cycle then. I feel like I'm being overly proactive. If someone is in the garage at the time, they may find themselves annoyed, but I've yet to see anyone.
Appreciate 1
micvite1540.00
      02-11-2023, 10:36 AM   #35
mavz
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
That explains what I experienced this morning. I'll just wait for it to cycle then. I feel like I'm being overly proactive. If someone is in the garage at the time, they may find themselves annoyed, but I've yet to see anyone.
I have the Remus exhaust with valves and even then, it doesnt seem like the exhaust button does anything on cold start. But yes ppl do look whenever I start the car in a garage
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 01:50 PM   #36
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Quote:
So the MPE leaves me quite gruntled. It definitely gets attention, positive and negative. I do try and mitigate the cold start when I leave for the gym at 6AM but so far not even putting it in drive truly stops it from roaring. I thought I had read you could put it in drive and just sit there braked so it at least would get the engine's juices flowing, but it just climbs back up to a roar if I do that. So then I actually pull out and start driving, and while waiting for the gate to open, it steals another opportunity to build to another roar. Lol. So I'm not sure if this was a recent change or I misunderstood the methods to squelch it. No one has complained, and unless they are in the garage I don't think anyone can hear it... or at least to the point it would wake them. Probably just going to just wait the 20-30 seconds from now on. Apparently it can be coded out with an ECU flash, but beyond cosmetic annoyances that can be changed with BimmerCode or something like that, I don't really plan on dicking around with the ECU.

From the reactions I get, it is far louder outside the vehicle. The car is solid and insulated well enough that it seems to give a false impression of not being that loud. But that cold-start roar is definitely audible. And I love those sweet, cooing blurbles it is constantly whispering in my ears.
You might have read my comment about putting it in drive or reverse. It’s an accurate comment but you have to have some throttle. Putting it in gear stopped doesn’t do a thing to alleviate the noise. You have to be moving even if really slowly. 👍 😁

Also if you want it to be quiet while driving during the cold start def don’t gun it. It’s got the valves open and even if in comfort mode you’ll get the sound of full send if doing it during the first 25 seconds or so.
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1301.50
      02-11-2023, 02:42 PM   #37
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
You might have read my comment about putting it in drive or reverse. It’s an accurate comment but you have to have some throttle. Putting it in gear stopped doesn’t do a thing to alleviate the noise. You have to be moving even if really slowly. �� ��

Also if you want it to be quiet while driving during the cold start def don’t gun it. It’s got the valves open and even if in comfort mode you’ll get the sound of full send if doing it during the first 25 seconds or so.
I've just been starting it and letting it run its course, and things have been fine. It's really not that long of a time really, and even though it's loud, it's just that initial shock and settles into a pretty even drone... and then drops off sharply once the cats feel emissive. Not like it's ripping up and down. Now if I was living in a community where the backs of the homes had garages opening onto a shared alley and people were sleeping upstairs above the garage, that would be obnoxious... but there's nothing but thick concrete and dirt behind me. Thinking about it, I can't think of a better spot in this parking garage for it to be parked insofar as a cold start.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 03:14 PM   #38
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You might have read my comment about putting it in drive or reverse. It’s an accurate comment but you have to have some throttle. Putting it in gear stopped doesn’t do a thing to alleviate the noise. You have to be moving even if really slowly. 👍 😁

He's got the MPE, no valves there haha so it's piss loud all the time.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 03:22 PM   #39
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
He's got the MPE, no valves there haha so it's piss loud all the time.
I don’t ever shut my valves and it’s hybrid quiet in Comfort except if running shortly after starting. The car doesn’t make much noise unless hard accelerating / WOT in comfort. If I am near a cop etc I just toss it in comfort. No need to hit the valve button.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 04:11 PM   #40
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

This exhaust... lmao. I freakin' LOVE it. I guess it's really satisfying for my inner troll. I set off a car alarm when starting it earlier... another BMW. I'm only 450 miles or so in so have been kind of reserved on pushing it, but I tapped into a few times, and it just roars. By far, the MPE is one of the my favorite options, if not THE favorite. In fact, I'm now going to change my title to reflect more positivity.

While loud, it just also sounds damn good. It's not like these shitboxes or Mustangs or Chargers (I guess that's redundant) that are just making noise for the sake of noise.

Last edited by nerdogray; 02-11-2023 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 2
boost3dx582.00
Patton2502939.50
      02-11-2023, 08:10 PM   #41
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I don’t ever shut my valves and it’s hybrid quiet in Comfort except if running shortly after starting. The car doesn’t make much noise unless hard accelerating / WOT in comfort. If I am near a cop etc I just toss it in comfort. No need to hit the valve button.
First of all comfort mode closes the valves and WOT opens them regardless of what mode youre in or any settings, secondly, and I'm gonna say this again even though it's obviously not getting through, nerdogray DOES NOT HAVE ANY VALVES IN HIS EXHAUST, he has NO WAY TO MAKE IT ANY QUIETER.
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594140.00
      02-20-2023, 10:54 PM   #42
Rausky
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition, Huracan

I had a non comp 18 M5 and it sounded decent with stock exhaust. Pretty deep V8 tone which I loved. I traded it in for a 21 Comp that had catless DPs and the M Sport Exhaust. It was way too loud so I put Active Autowerks catted DPs on and while it's quieter, I think it's the MSE that I'm very disappointed in. It does not sound like a V8 at all and sounds very raspy, border line annoying. Even at full throttle it sounds like a fart... Is that anyone else's experience with the MSE?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 12:24 AM   #43
TFBravo
Some Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 GX460, 2022 M5C

Garage List
MPE is not worth it just based on a price, its a $7K option. You can get an aftermarket cat back system from $3K-$4k with integrated valve actuators, that sound just as good and keep OEM look. Titanium doesn't help with acoustics, and weight difference is negligible as only the axle back portion is Ti.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Mid to high RPM range there is not much difference from the Sport exhausts, switching out downpipes is what really give that growl at high rpms.

I'm looking into getting Remus or Dinan, but can't decide. Armytryx sounds amazing, but I don't like that the valves cannot be controlled through the car and you're stuck with a remote.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 04:11 AM   #44
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFBravo View Post
MPE is not worth it just based on a price, its a $7K option. You can get an aftermarket cat back system from $3K-$4k with integrated valve actuators, that sound just as good and keep OEM look. Titanium doesn't help with acoustics, and weight difference is negligible as only the axle back portion is Ti.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Mid to high RPM range there is not much difference from the Sport exhausts, switching out downpipes is what really give that growl at high rpms.

I'm looking into getting Remus or Dinan, but can't decide. Armytryx sounds amazing, but I don't like that the valves cannot be controlled through the car and you're stuck with a remote.
Just out of curiosity, did you even read the whole thread? I ask because this thread contradicts everything in your post. I have yet to see a single complaint about the MPE other then the gentleman on this last page, and he had catless down pipes. When you switch to a different manufactures down pipes, (catless or not) all bets are off on how your exhaust is going to sound, that I know for a fact so his comment is irrelevant when it comes to the MPE. The MPE is basically an Akrapovic. You’re not going to find a higher quality better built exhaust in my opinion. So if you feel cheaper is better, go for it. As for me, I’m going to go with a BMW genuine authorized part that has, from what I can see about a 99% “holy shit I love it” approval rating on this forum.
Appreciate 1
RalphT5255.50