BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Water Pump Failure?

07-02-2023, 09:05 AM   #1
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Water Pump Failure?

Has anyone had a water pump failure on their F90?

I did a search and cannot find anything but yesterday I spent the day working with my friend swapping out his E85 X5M (with about 45,000 miles) water pump. His old one was in incredibly bad shape with the impeller completely separated from the shaft and the bearing that held the pulley pretty much failed. I can't believe that the pulley and belt did not fall off. It took us about 7 hours and, if doing it again, we could do it a little faster but there is not a lot of space to do the work even with removing the fan like the BMW instructions say. The instructions say to "swivel" the old water pump out once the bolts and connectors are undone but that makes it sound MUCH easier than it is in real life. There is one hose that is very short and has almost no play that makes the removal and installation very difficult. I was happy that we had no extra parts, no broken connectors and no oops moments.
Appreciate 0