BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Are S63TU engines still bending rods/blowing up a lot?

08-31-2022, 09:53 AM   #133
tractionoff
Rep
Drives: BMW F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenAgain View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored View Post
Quote:
Are you a betting man?
Do you know of any F90 engines failing? Stock, stage 1, or stage 2?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored View Post
Quote:
Are you a betting man?
Do you know of any F90 engines failing? Stock, stage 1, or stage 2?
Yes. Most won't come here and talk bad news. Forums are for sharing good stuff so you won't see it much. Most don't know the perfect storm that makes them let go either. Custom tunes where u can tune out that initial hit and ramp in TQ are your best bet for the motor. JB4 is your best bet for if it goes boom, you're "covered"
I know this post is a year old, but I was on here still curious to find out if anyone had the same problem I did. I had a brand new 2021 F90 M5 LCI. Fully bone stock, not even an exhaust.. bought it brand new off the lot, and a year and a half later at around 30K miles, my motor blew.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 12:02 PM   #134
boost3dx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS & 2022 X5M

Garage List
2022 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractionoff View Post
I know this post is a year old, but I was on here still curious to find out if anyone had the same problem I did. I had a brand new 2021 F90 M5 LCI. Fully bone stock, not even an exhaust.. bought it brand new off the lot, and a year and a half later at around 30K miles, my motor blew.
more details? what happened? what were you doing?

i had an E92 M3 blow a motor at 6K miles on the track.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 12:06 PM   #135
tractionoff
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost3dx View Post
Quote:
more details? what happened? what were you doing?

i had an E92 M3 blow a motor at 6K miles on the track.
I had oil, my oil changes were up to date. I wasn't even beating on the car that day. Shifted into 2nd gear at about 4k and it just blew.. I'm guessing I bottomed out at some point and it cracked my oil pan which caused it to blow? Like I said I'm really not sure, that's the only thing I can think of. There was 2 holes in the motor.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 07:30 PM   #136
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
I had oil, my oil changes were up to date. I wasn't even beating on the car that day. Shifted into 2nd gear at about 4k and it just blew.. I'm guessing I bottomed out at some point and it cracked my oil pan which caused it to blow? Like I said I'm really not sure, that's the only thing I can think of. There was 2 holes in the motor.
Very odd. 2021 that is a year and a half old, with 30K miles, driven in manual, shifted at moderate RPM and two holes in the motor. Could somehow be an assembly error. Maybe something not tightened properly that eventually came loose.

Do you have pictures? What did the dealership say? What happened to the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 07:43 PM   #137
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

91 octane or 93?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 02:05 AM   #138
SatinblkF90
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5

That’s freaking scary to read. Even I heard the LCI are supposed to have a few of the internals a little improved over pre lci and that still happened on an almost new low mileage car like that…

Assembly error, bad luck seems highly likely.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 03:08 AM   #139
SatinblkF90
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_m5 View Post
I have 24k miles on a stage 2 BM3 tune. I've done many 1/4 mile runs in some of the hottest weather. Not a single problem. Car actually feels like it's getting faster. I'm proof you can run a stage 2 BM3 tune safely for a long time. You treat the car with respect it will treat you with respect. And no one is paying me to say this nor did I get anything for free. There's a lot of BS on these forums don't believe everything you read.
Why did you switch from a custom dme tune to bm3 OTS tune? Seems like you were running strong numbers on dme with low 6s 60-130 on e30, no way OTS is that quick.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 08:57 AM   #140
tractionoff
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Quote:
Very odd. 2021 that is a year and a half old, with 30K miles, driven in manual, shifted at moderate RPM and two holes in the motor. Could somehow be an assembly error. Maybe something not tightened properly that eventually came loose.

Unfortunately I don't have pics. They totaled the car out, and it went up on auction for surprisingly really high. Starting bid was $90K. I didn't want to deal with the headache, so I was fine w them totaling it out. Even with everything covered, by the time I would have gotten the car back, with the way things are today, I was better off totaling it out and getting something new. Picked up an F83 M4, really excited for the build.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 09:19 AM   #141
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately I don't have pics. They totaled the car out, and it went up on auction for surprisingly really high. Starting bid was $90K. I didn't want to deal with the headache, so I was fine w them totaling it out. Even with everything covered, by the time I would have gotten the car back, with the way things are today, I was better off totaling it out and getting something new. Picked up an F83 M4, really excited for the build.
F8X rods are bullet proof. The piece that came through my block barely had a scratch

If you're thinking about a build, you'll also want to address the crank hub.
Attached Images

09-01-2022, 09:27 AM   #142
tractionoff
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNoob View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

F8X rods are bullet proof. The piece that came through my block barely had a scratch

I was actually thinking of only going bootmod stage 1 for now. During the winter right before the spring hits I will go stage 2 n downpipe. Would you recommend doing the crankhub even only on stage 1? I hear a lot of mixed reviews on the crank..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 09:32 AM   #143
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I was actually thinking of only going bootmod stage 1 for now. During the winter right before the spring hits I will go stage 2 n downpipe. Would you recommend doing the crankhub even only on stage 1? I hear a lot of mixed reviews on the crank..
If I went back in time, I would have. I'd also be mindful of my heavy foot at low rpm. Those engines can create loads of torque at low rpm that's addictive.
      09-01-2022, 09:36 AM   #144
tractionoff
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If I went back in time, I would have. I'd also be mindful of my heavy foot at low rpm. Those engines can create loads of torque at low rpm that's addictive.
Oh yea it is definitely addicting.. have you had crank hub issues in the past?? Running a tune??
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 01:16 PM   #145
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh yea it is definitely addicting.. have you had crank hub issues in the past?? Running a tune??
It was full bolt on with custom E85 tune. I made a paperweight out of a piece of the block. Your mileage may vary.
      09-01-2022, 01:19 PM   #146
tractionoff
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It was full bolt on with custom E85 tune. I made a paperweight out of a piece of the block. Your mileage may vary.
Oh yea you def needed to do that crank hub then. I'm only at 6K miles so I'm gonna rock with stage one for now, then before the spring I'll do the crank hub and go fbo stage 2 (bootmod3)
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 03:17 PM   #147
SatinblkF90
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I just need to ask, what octane fuel were you running? Also, did the dealership have any explanation why the m5 engine blew? Like unlucky case, bad assembly etc. ?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 03:27 PM   #148
tractionoff
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinblkF90 View Post
Quote:
I just need to ask, what octane fuel were you running? Also, did the dealership have any explanation why the m5 engine blew? Like unlucky case, bad assembly etc. ?
93 always. And they couldn't tell.. all they said was they saw 2 holes in the motor.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 07:41 PM   #149
Duta569
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M550i

Quote:
Who totaled it out? The insurance company?or bmw?. I thought for an insurance company to Total a car out the repair had to be more than the value of the vehicle?

I had a vehicle before that was valued at $27,000 and the insurance paid $16,000 for the repair after an accident.

I assume it was BMW, they must have felt that an engine replacement under warranty wasn't worth it for them?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 07:49 PM   #150
bimmerbeast9
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f90 m5c

blown motors and bootmode go together like peas and carrots.

go to the bank and finance a clue
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2022, 08:20 PM   #151
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbeast9 View Post
blown motors and bootmode go together like peas and carrots.

go to the bank and finance a clue
Any tune with the wrong octane or that is run without the intended mods can ruin a motor. Tunes the user can modify or select further increase the risks. Most bootmod tune owners are doing just fine.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2022, 08:41 PM   #152
SatinblkF90
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Especially bootmod3 OTS tunes which are really conservative. A lot of people are fine for long time even on custom tunes which are far more aggressive tunes than bm3 OTS files.

Plus anyways, wasn’t this car bone stock that blew up?! This just makes it even more odd.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 04:08 AM   #153
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinblkF90 View Post
Especially bootmod3 OTS tunes which are really conservative. A lot of people are fine for long time even on custom tunes which are far more aggressive tunes than bm3 OTS files.

Plus anyways, wasn’t this car bone stock that blew up?! This just makes it even more odd.
Yeah this does not make much sense. The poster said it was a 2021 bone stock car. Something like this must have been covered by warranty. I wonder why they would not have just given him a new car. The cause must have been an assembly error or just a freak occurrence. I imagine these car have significant quality control in the assembly process so lots of questions but few answers. I mean second gear at relatively low rpm results in a failure of this magnitude?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 08:51 AM   #154
SatinblkF90
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yeah this does not make much sense. The poster said it was a 2021 bone stock car. Something like this must have been covered by warranty. I wonder why they would not have just given him a new car. The cause must have been an assembly error or just a freak occurrence. I imagine these car have significant quality control in the assembly process so lots of questions but few answers. I mean second gear at relatively low rpm results in a failure of this magnitude?
He said he may have bottomed out at some point possibly causing the oil pan to crack. Sounds like some big bump must of occurred while driving at some point at least, maybe that’s it, hard to say…
Appreciate 1