BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Video: F90 M5 vs F10 M5 acceleration compared

08-31-2017, 09:06 PM   #23
NV GUNS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C

Garage List
2023 M550  [6.75]
2019 M2 Competition  [0.00]
2002 330ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCfromOC
There's just something so pleasantly violent in that F10 M5 video that's completely missing from the F90 video.
Yeah like the view of the gauge cluster under full power on the new M5? the F10 video was great.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 09:38 PM   #24
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen3ybq View Post
Wow love that new "M1" "M2" button design!
I am willing to pay just to have my M5 retrofitted
      08-31-2017, 10:14 PM   #25
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
The car is fast *despite* the transmission.

Not that it's a bad transmission, per se, it's good for an auto but it is still no double clutch. Still, for a big lumbering powerful luxury car it's just fine, people aren't generally trying to throw these things around a tight track.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 10:20 PM   #26
Zach335i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

New gauges look like a video game in driver view
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 10:27 PM   #27
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by somer View Post
From what I can tell (again this is all an assumption) is that when in Launch Control upshifts happen automatically even in manual mode, so what the driver did was upshift like RIGHT after the car automatically upshifted into 2nd, so thats when it went to 3rd quickly, then hit the paddle again so it went to 4th. From my eye he only hit the paddle twice even though his finger gestures look like he hit it more than once.

Why BMW would put out such a confusing video in terms of paddle control, launch control and such is beyond me. Not to mention the one launch from behind the car when it bucks the 1 to 2 shift to somehow demonstrate it doesnt auto upshift at redline (I would sure hope not). I'd rather see the full 1-2 shift to see how it compares to that terrible M550i video that was posted of the guy at the drag strip and how his car bucked on the 1-2 shift bad.

Here's the video I'm referencing on how bad the ZF8 is in the M550. Whole car bucks like he has a manual transmission...

That's just soft suspension.
      08-31-2017, 10:49 PM   #28
Win
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Quote:
From what I can tell (again this is all an assumption) is that when in Launch Control upshifts happen automatically even in manual mode, so what the driver did was upshift like RIGHT after the car automatically upshifted into 2nd, so thats when it went to 3rd quickly, then hit the paddle again so it went to 4th. From my eye he only hit the paddle twice even though his finger gestures look like he hit it more than once.

Why BMW would put out such a confusing video in terms of paddle control, launch control and such is beyond me. Not to mention the one launch from behind the car when it bucks the 1 to 2 shift to somehow demonstrate it doesnt auto upshift at redline (I would sure hope not). I'd rather see the full 1-2 shift to see how it compares to that terrible M550i video that was posted of the guy at the drag strip and how his car bucked on the 1-2 shift bad.

Here's the video I'm referencing on how bad the ZF8 is in the M550. Whole car bucks like he has a manual transmission...

That sounds like a fn lawn mower
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 10:54 PM   #29
allen3ybq
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5007 View Post
Quote:
I am willing to pay just to have my M5 retrofitted
lol I was thinking about the same thing for my M3 haha
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 11:56 PM   #30
sdshah
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85 | Panamera GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Quote:

That sounds like a fn lawn mower
All BMW's do
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 01:48 AM   #31
scflaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: M135I, Macan S, G26 i4M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
The 0-60 debate has always fascinated me. Why do you want it to be quicker?
It's like competing on who can ejaculate the quickest. Idiots!
As the old saying goes

"The one who ejaculates the fastest and the most, shall bear the most children."
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 02:26 AM   #32
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Yes but...

Quote:
Why on Earth did they shrink the shift paddles to the size the normally use with their conventional line cars?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 06:09 AM   #33
Halewafa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SO/SO M4

Quote:
Thats exactly what I thought, but apparently everyone else says thats wrong...
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 07:38 AM   #34
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

its fast but not nearly as violent / dramatic / dynamic or engaging
      09-01-2017, 07:40 AM   #35
michal12
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Z4 M40i

Was there a wheelspin even with xDrive?
EDIT: oh I messed up the videos, scrap this comment.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 09:06 AM   #36
Bowser330
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: i3 REX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scflaw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
The 0-60 debate has always fascinated me. Why do you want it to be quicker?
It's like competing on who can ejaculate the quickest. Idiots!
As the old saying goes

"The one who ejaculates the fastest and the most, shall bear the most children."
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 10:34 AM   #37
somer
Major
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halewafa View Post
Thats exactly what I thought, but apparently everyone else says thats wrong...
Yeah, pretty sure that's what happened. Another thing this highlights is how short these gear ratios are, especially compared to the DCT which had super long gear ratios compared to most DCT boxes, even the M3/M4. Some of the gears are even shorter than the new MB 9speed box. --- If anyone watched that M3/Quadrifolgio video with Jethro @ Drivetribe, one of his main complaints about the Quadrifolgio around angelsey was the gear ratios and he could never find the right gear, well the M5 has the exact same ratios. Not that it really matters in the end, just something to note.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 11:10 AM   #38
beMtroubleYou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C '18

Garage List
2018 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliChillax View Post
None of the newer automatics upshift automatically in manual mode. My M235i will stay at the redline if I don't manually shift.
Mine makes a shift eventually.. in sport+ tho. Maybe DSC needs to be totally off.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 11:25 AM   #39
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Which one will last longer though, after repeated abuse?
      09-02-2017, 12:43 AM   #40
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Every time a new M car comes out with a new technology the purists come out and cause a riot.

Remember when the E92 M3 was unveiled with a V8? So many people complained about it.
Remember when the F10 M5 lost the V10? So many people complained about that too.
And now the new M5 does not have a DCT gear box and it's happening again.

If history repeats itself and it always does this too will be just fine.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2017, 10:41 AM   #41
mundo74
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbmwlife
Every time a new M car comes out with a new technology the purists come out and cause a riot.

Remember when the E92 M3 was unveiled with a V8? So many people complained about it.
Remember when the F10 M5 lost the V10? So many people complained about that too.

just the opposite. The zf8 is old technology and its not better than the dct it replaced.
      09-02-2017, 01:24 PM   #42
Munichm3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbmwlife View Post

The thing is, the ZF isn't even an upgrade, you think BMW did this for an upgrade? BMW did this strictly so they can have the same transmission on their line up. It's less r&d for them. Also say goodbye to the manual as well.

One thing I liked about the DCT is how engaging it feels compared to the ZF 8 speed. One reason why I went BMW and not a c63 at the time was because how crap the gearbox was on the benz. The BMW with the DCT was outstanding for the price of the car. It has also shown itself to be bulletproof as well.

In the end, it's about BMW making more profits. They're a business, what can you expect? The main consumer market is the target, not the enthusiast. That's what they threw the m2 for.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10232.50
      09-02-2017, 02:22 PM   #43
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mundo74 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbmwlife

just the opposite. The zf8 is old technology and its not better than the dct it replaced.
I think if you go to the zf website, and read about it, you'll see that it is a fairly sophisticated piece of machinery. There is no doubt that BMW chose this route due to economies of scale, less R&D costs; just less cost period. That's the way corporations work. I just test drove an M550, and if the M5 transmission is better that that, I'll be impressed.
      09-02-2017, 02:42 PM   #44
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
its fast but not nearly as violent / dramatic / dynamic or engaging
I believe that's the point, at least partly, in not going with the dct. Disclosure: I have very limited mileage driving any DCT, let alone a BMW product. I hear and read lots of stories about them being herky jerky at low speeds. If that's the case, and I spill my Starbucks every time I leave the parking lot, I'll get sick of DCT really fast. I want a 5-series because I have a family, and I want an M model because I want a big brother to my 1M, and to brag to my Mopar friends that I have access to 600 hp.

Q and A time: Does it have a vastly new and different engine? No. Does it have a V10 or V12? Also no. Does it post better numbers than the F10? Yes. Does it have a DCT? No. But will the ZF8 be better, overall, in real world driving situations? Probably. On a track? Probably not. Does it look better than the F10? I think they both look awesome.

Anyway, that's me trying to justify my thoughts on the changes.