BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    backseat big enough for 2 car seats + booster in the middle?

03-20-2024, 08:25 AM   #1
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

backseat big enough for 2 car seats + booster in the middle?

going through a midlife crisis, have 3 kids and a giant escalade right now that im sick of, want an M5

curious to hear about other dads experiences with multiple car seats in the back. I have 2 front facing car seats (greco 4everdlx) and 1 booster seat which would go in the middle. Theoretically it should all fit
      03-20-2024, 08:37 AM   #2
Virtualinsanityva
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Yes you can fit a booster between two car seats. The details matter though. I have 3 kids and purposefully got diono radian 3xt so three can fit in a row. I can try to find a picture for you later. If the max width of both seats are somewhere in the 15 range. You are good. Then the order issue is access to seat belts and how the seats are anchored. Isofix vs seatbelt based on child’s weights.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 08:52 AM   #3
pmsteinm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
2 front facing work for me, although when I exit the car my upper backrest almost ends up in my kid's lap when it moves to the exit position. She will be in a booster soon which will make that less of a problem. I'm 6-2 so I have the seat fairly far back.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 08:25 PM   #4
Boiler Up!
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

+1 on the Diono 3 series. I have 2 forward facing on the outsides and one rear facing in the middle.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 08:51 PM   #5
LouK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram TRX F90 M5

Only specific car seats will work with this, We have Recaro car seats and they are too wide. We only have one left in a car seat thankfully but can say just by seeing it that it would be too wide to have two car seats and a booster in the back.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 03:37 PM   #6
omaralt
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3

as others have said, yes its doable.

however

are you going to be regularly hauling the kids around? if so, stick with the escalade. if its just an occasional thing then the M5 works
2013 550i M sport Alpine White/Cinnamon (retired)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 11:33 AM   #7
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Went through same phase. It would be nice if they sold Dual Car seats (two connected with less bulk between) for such a purpose.

We were able to fit two car seats with our oldest between in my RS6. The back seat of the RS6 was larger than the 5 series. We migrated to a A8L for a few years. Now my kids are all over 6 feet and don't fit in the bed of a pick up truck.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2024, 03:38 PM   #8
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
good luck getting kicked in the back unless you're a manlet and only 5 feet tall
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 10:56 PM   #9
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

3 out of 4 dads would choose the M5 over a Suburban, Odyssey, Sienna or Telluride.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2024, 05:44 AM   #10
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
3 out of 4 dads would choose the M5 over a Suburban, Odyssey, Sienna or Telluride.
And probably only because the fourth one never experienced an M5.
      03-23-2024, 05:59 AM   #11
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
Went through same phase. It would be nice if they sold Dual Car seats (two connected with less bulk between) for such a purpose.

We were able to fit two car seats with our oldest between in my RS6. The back seat of the RS6 was larger than the 5 series. We migrated to a A8L for a few years. Now my kids are all over 6 feet and don't fit in the bed of a pick up truck.

Mike
Great idea for sure, but US safety regulations would never allow for such a thing. Putting two individual seats next to each other is fine, but they can't share lower anchors, and they can't affect each other's install at all, which a dual seat would obviously inherently have to do.
      03-23-2024, 06:09 AM   #12
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
Great idea for sure, but US safety regulations would never allow for such a thing. Putting two individual seats next to each other is fine, but they can't share lower anchors, and they can't affect each other's install at all, which a dual seat would obviously inherently have to do.
So how do you explain the rear seat to begin with? Three seating positions connected together, sharing anchors to the seat belts with the same bolts, etc? If there was a market for such a seat it would be cleared to US Safety regs (after spending $100,000,000 on crash tests). It would have to be designed with a few issues in mind. It could be separate 'seats' with less crap between them. The designs currently have a wide section on either side made of that great material plastic, which needs to be wide to provide much strength. The sides could be stream lined to make seats fit better but that would require using better materials and add cost. However, it's not like the cheap injection molded plastic seats are just given away, they are NOT cheap to buy. There is not a great market for such a set up.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2024, 06:15 AM   #13
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
So how do you explain the rear seat to begin with? Three seating positions connected together, sharing anchors to the seat belts with the same bolts, etc? If there was a market for such a seat it would be cleared to US Safety regs (after spending $100,000,000 on crash tests). It would have to be designed with a few issues in mind. It could be separate 'seats' with less crap between them. The designs currently have a wide section on either side made of that great material plastic, which needs to be wide to provide much strength. The sides could be stream lined to make seats fit better but that would require using better materials and add cost. However, it's not like the cheap injection molded plastic seats are just given away, they are NOT cheap to buy. There is not a great market for such a set up.

Mike
I don’t think it’s about the seat belts and bolts as much as the specific safety regulation stating that the install of one seat can’t “affect the other.” Two seats as one piece, if connected, could mean that if one “side” of them is affected in a crash, the other “side” would/could also be affected. Keeping them separate means that in certain crashes, theoretically, one seat could be affected and the other wouldn’t; i.e., T boned on the passenger side, the driver’s side seat would/could perhaps not be affected. The goal is to provide independent safety for each occupant of each seat. I’m not arguing with you; I actually personally agree with you. If they’re connected though, it’s hard to get around that requirement. Just stating the regulations and how they would prevent a dual/two in one seat if the individual seats are connected to one another in any way. I don’t think any connected/dual design could get around that requirement, as good as your suggestion is.