BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Alcantara Wheel for LCI w/DAP?

12-06-2021, 10:49 AM   #1
Darkshear
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 2019 M5 Comp

Alcantara Wheel for LCI w/DAP?

Can't seem to find solid compatibility info on this. I know Driver's Assistance Pro in LCI cars caused an incompatibility, but I'd love to learn if there is either another BMW accessory option, or even an aftermarket option.

I destroy leather steering wheels with my sweaty ass hands
      12-06-2021, 10:55 AM   #2
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshear View Post

If so, Alcantara will look terrible after a week...
Appreciate 2
Maverik2594140.00
VPRKLR63.00
      12-06-2021, 10:57 AM   #3
Darkshear
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The leather on the wheel becomes shiny and begins to flake eventually. The alcantara wheels are way more durable, and you can clean them aggressively unlike the leather wheels. Had one on my F10, looked brand new after three years.
      12-06-2021, 11:22 AM   #4
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
The leather on the wheel becomes shiny and begins to flake eventually. The alcantara wheels are way more durable, and you can clean them aggressively unlike the leather wheels. Had one on my F10, looked brand new after three years.
It's the opposite.

Shiny leather means dirty leather, you can clean it as many times as you want and it will look great.

Alcantara is very nice but not as durable as leather...
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2021, 11:29 AM   #5
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

What Can-am stated has been my experience. You may want to consider a pair of driving gloves. They will keep the sweat and oil from your hands off the wheel.
Appreciate 1
Alberta2033.50
      12-06-2021, 11:29 AM   #6
Darkshear
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Not arguing those points. My experiences were different. The leather wheels shine to a high glaze after a year or so. Can clean it gently but the shine comes back within weeks. Two years and the top layer begins to peel. Alcantara wheels did not have this problem, and I cleaned them regularly to like-new. Certainly YMMV but in my case, I have 5 previous BMWs where this behavior was consistent.

I have found Alcantara in my cars to be far more durable. To date, the most durable carpets I've ever owned in a car were the Alcantara carpets in my Ferrari FF.
      12-06-2021, 01:23 PM   #7
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Not arguing those points. My experiences were different. The leather wheels shine to a high glaze after a year or so. Can clean it gently but the shine comes back within weeks. Two years and the top layer begins to peel. Alcantara wheels did not have this problem, and I cleaned them regularly to like-new. Certainly YMMV but in my case, I have 5 previous BMWs where this behavior was consistent.

I have found Alcantara in my cars to be far more durable. To date, the most durable carpets I've ever owned in a car were the Alcantara carpets in my Ferrari FF.
Yes, Alcantara is durable and even very dirty, shiny, flat Alcantara steering wheels can be restored back to new with just soapy water and MF rags.

My hands get very sweaty, so I was losing grip, then bought an Alcantara steering wheel but got tired of cleaning it every couple weeks so got me some leather driving gloves and now it's all good. Maintenance cleaning two times a year is all it takes.
      12-06-2021, 01:44 PM   #8
Darkshear
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Yes, Alcantara is durable and even very dirty, shiny, flat Alcantara steering wheels can be restored back to new with just soapy water and MF rags.

My hands get very sweaty, so I was losing grip, then bought an Alcantara steering wheel but got tired of cleaning it every couple weeks so got me some leather driving gloves and now it's all good. Maintenance cleaning two times a year is all it takes.
I need to try some different gloves. Got the ///M gloves a few years ago for this very reason. Something they treated the gloves with cause me to break out into a wild and miserable rash as soon as I started sweating. It was a nightmare lol.

Either way, I still like the LOOK of the Alcantara anyway. So I'd be inclined to want the wheel either way.
      12-06-2021, 01:59 PM   #9
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
I need to try some different gloves. Got the ///M gloves a few years ago for this very reason. Something they treated the gloves with cause me to break out into a wild and miserable rash as soon as I started sweating. It was a nightmare lol.

Either way, I still like the LOOK of the Alcantara anyway. So I'd be inclined to want the wheel either way.
I've got the M gloves, no issues here, but have a look at these; the Brits make some nice gloves: https://www.tomdickandharry.co.uk/me...ng-gloves.html
https://www.dentsgloves.com/collections/driving

I wouldn't want a leather steering wheel now so I'd rather ditch DAP for the non-DAP M Performance steering wheel.
      12-06-2021, 08:34 PM   #10
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

lol I have the same issue with my sweaty hands. I did send a message to a company in Russia today. Look them up @ramon_performance_shop
      12-11-2021, 01:26 AM   #11
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Can't seem to find solid compatibility info on this. I know Driver's Assistance Pro in LCI cars caused an incompatibility, but I'd love to learn if there is either another BMW accessory option, or even an aftermarket option.

I went into quite a rant over this same issue. Although I wouldn't say i have "sweaty palms" I would say that my hands have caused accelerated deterioration on my other cars.

Here is the wheel I had made for my F90 LCI with DAP. All functions and buttons work as normal, including heat.

Name:  5e6a5467-edit.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  209.3 KB
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 03:53 AM   #12
SFT33
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28, E34, E60 & F10 M5s

I have an alacantara steering wheel on my E63 wagon. Sonax makes a great easy to use cleaner. Looks brand new afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 06:28 AM   #13
Darkshear
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSHNGRY View Post
I went into quite a rant over this same issue. Although I wouldn't say i have "sweaty palms" I would say that my hands have caused accelerated deterioration on my other cars.

Here is the wheel I had made for my F90 LCI with DAP. All functions and buttons work as normal, including heat.
That looks high quality and very tasteful. May I ask where you had that made? I would be interested in having it done as well.
      12-11-2021, 09:58 AM   #14
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

That looks high quality and very tasteful. May I ask where you had that made? I would be interested in having it done as well.
Highest quality to the "T"

Detailed. Carefully pieced together. One of my favorite mods. If you had little to zero understanding of mods for these cars- one wouldn't guess it's "aftermarket"

It fits the car beautifully!
Happy to share brother!
You can only contact them then instagram

@azaautowheel
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 1
Darkshear154.00
      12-11-2021, 12:49 PM   #15
Darkshear
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Highest quality to the "T"

Detailed. Carefully pieced together. One of my favorite mods. If you had little to zero understanding of mods for these cars- one wouldn't guess it's "aftermarket"

It fits the car beautifully!
Happy to share brother!
You can only contact them then instagram

@azaautowheel
Thank you!
      12-15-2021, 11:18 PM   #16
BayernBear7
Rep
Drives: BMW with an s63

Quote:

Attachment 2762870
you are a greek.

you dont have sweaty palms, you have oily palms..

90% EVOO
Appreciate 1
FSHNGRY2336.50
      12-15-2021, 11:21 PM   #17
BayernBear7
Rep
Drives: BMW with an s63

Quote:

not cleaning your leather with the right stuff. ive never had a steering wheel go shiny on me. never.

Leatherique Rejuvenator and pristine clean
Appreciate 0