BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    I’m having no luck trying to get the COVID vaccine in Texas

Closed Thread

01-16-2021, 07:32 AM   #1
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m850

I’m having no luck trying to get the COVID vaccine in Texas

About a year ago, I moved to Dallas from NYC and really know nobody here. I fall into a high risk group and qualify for the vaccine. I have had no luck getting it - everyone says they are all booked. This is starting to consume hours of my days.

I was wondering if maybe, just maybe, a member in the DFW area or within a three hour radius (Any excuse for a road trip is welcome) has any guidance on how to get this darn shot? I need to be able to get out of this damn house. I would be forever grateful.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 08:15 AM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Have you expanded your search?

https://tdem.maps.arcgis.com/apps/we...dc3ddace5c376b

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 08:21 AM   #3
S65Hunter
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
  [0.00]
Have you tried Christus Health? My Fiance works for them ( corporate not at the hospital).
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 08:41 AM   #4
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

You're not alone. My locality is a total disaster in getting information out there. The state's main webpage for the vaccine doesn't have any useful information on how to go about registering to get in line for the vaccine. I stumbled over my county's registration page purely by accident doing Google searches. The state should have a page listing all the county's vaccine registration pages so no one has to go find Waldo. My friend who is under active cancer treatment can't find jack with her county and her doctors are clueless as to how she'll proceed with getting one.

I see a focus on the elderly getting vaccinated as it's known they are vulnerable. But Azar also announced states should be vaccinating those with recognized co-morbidities now. No state that I'm aware of has taken up this guidance. And the media if they even mention this guidance only give it a small blurb. I technically have 4 co-morbidities. I may not look to be at risk due to my age and physical fitness. But none the less I'm still at a very high risk of death from this thing.

This whole thing is a total disaster. All the states have had months to prepare to get this done right and still dropped the ball. Here's a listing of how each state is doing:

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...inistered.html

West Va leads everyone at above 70% of their allotted vaccines distributed. There are only 4 other states that are above 50%. Totally ridiculous. My particularly county only has one site at an elementary school doing the vaccinations and they're only doing it from 9AM to 1PM. It's no wonder the vaccines are slow rolling when you have stupidity like this.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 09:09 AM   #5
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineE93 View Post
Have you tried Christus Health? My Fiance works for them ( corporate not at the hospital).
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
I tried Christus no luck

I expanded my search to 300 miles around Dallas
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 09:11 AM   #6
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
This whole thing is a total disaster.
It is a total disaster. I feel like a kid calling to try and score tickets to some boy band concert
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      01-16-2021, 09:47 AM   #7
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

I work for one of the nation's largest healthcare systems.

They made the vaccines available to our frontline workers first, then to us (non-clinical) back in December.

Let's just say that even when made available, people are hesitant to sign up. These vaccines also have an expiration date and we have had to throw out thousands and thousands of doses - a total waste. I know for a fact this is the same situation across the nation and cumulatively millions of doses have gone expired and discarded.

Meanwhile you have people in this thread desperate to receive one - so yes this is a disaster of poor planning and logistics.

As a last note - I developed a ton of respect for our CEO who is making it happen for everyone in the organization should they choose to get it. He cares.
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5139.00
King Rudi13152.00
      01-16-2021, 10:11 AM   #8
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post
I work for one of the nation's largest healthcare systems.

They made the vaccines available to our frontline workers first, then to us (non-clinical) back in December.

Let's just say that even when made available, people are hesitant to sign up. These vaccines also have an expiration date and we have had to throw out thousands and thousands of doses - a total waste. I know for a fact this is the same situation across the nation and cumulatively millions of doses have gone expired and discarded.

Meanwhile you have people in this thread desperate to receive one - so yes this is a disaster of poor planning and logistics.

As a last note - I developed a ton of respect for our CEO who is making it happen for everyone in the organization should they choose to get it. He cares.
I've heard of a situation in DC where a pharmacist asked a couple of people wandering around in the store if they wanted to get the vaccine as he would have to throw it out otherwise. Then you have states that make it some sort of crime to distribute a vaccine to people not in the current vaccination group that would otherwise be thrown out where no one benefits.

If people are not willing to sign up and get the vaccine when they're eligible, the open it the hell up to others what are willing to get it. There's enough of the science I know of where I feel it's not as dangerous as everyone is making it out to be. Hell, I've been exposed to a lot worse with my cancer treatments with all the radiation from all the scans I've been through and the FOLFOX6 treatment with a DNA scrambler and platinum heavy metal that has caused some permanent nerve damage.
Appreciate 1
BMWGUYinCO4049.00
      01-16-2021, 11:48 AM   #9
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgrae456 View Post
About a year ago, I moved to Dallas from NYC and really know nobody here. I fall into a high risk group and qualify for the vaccine. I have had no luck getting it - everyone says they are all booked. This is starting to consume hours of my days.

I was wondering if maybe, just maybe, a member in the DFW area or within a three hour radius (Any excuse for a road trip is welcome) has any guidance on how to get this darn shot? I need to be able to get out of this damn house. I would be forever grateful.
Free complete detail at BMW of Dallas to anybody that can find me a dose of the vaccine. I think it's about a $350 service I had my M850 done and the guy that does it is a magician. He even touched up a few rock chips I got. Please understand I'm not trying to get myself infront of anyone more deserving. I qualify with high risk conditions and just can't find anybody that has a dose available. PM me if anyone is interested I cant live in fear anymore.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 12:12 PM   #10
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

The rules are pretty clear for 1A and 1B groups. Just keep checking.

If I were in charge, it’d be first come first serve. The rules make it somewhat bureaucratic and unnecessarily complex. Everyone needs the vaccine and groups not “at risk” are probably the ones spreading the most, so they would be good vaccine candidates too.

I understand we want to get those over 65 first, but healthcare workers actually take precautions unlike so many others. Bottom line, I think arguments for anyone getting a vaccine could be made.

I’d be sticking as many people as possible first and worry about logistics later. Just keep giving vaccines to get this mess behind us.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2021, 12:19 PM   #11
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

I assume you've got a local physician who knows your preexisting conditions, perhaps he could help... if you haven't worked with them yet. My mother lives in Houston and her doctor got her in for a shot back on Monday. She's 83 but otherwise healthy. And for those wondering it was the Moderna vaccine and no side affects other shot-site soreness the next day.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 12:27 PM   #12
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
I assume you've got a local physician who knows your preexisting conditions, perhaps he could help... if you haven't worked with them yet. My mother lives in Houston and her doctor got her in for a shot back on Monday. She's 83 but otherwise healthy. And for those wondering it was the Moderna vaccine and no side affects other shot-site soreness the next day.
I moved 8 months ago to Dallas from NYC. I don't have a doctor here. Before covid I did a lot of back and forth to New York where I would see my doctor's. I just feel helpless now.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 12:30 PM   #13
aliiin
I use my turn signal
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tercel

Dang, that sucks OP.

My girlfriend is a pharmacist at a hospital in DFW and told me they had to find 7 people to get the covid vaccine within 70 minutes last week or it'd go to waste because once it's drawn from the vial, it has a shelf life of 6 hours and they'd have to throw it away after the 6 hours.

I'll ask her about it. I'll keep in contact.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #14
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliiin View Post
Dang, that sucks OP.

My girlfriend is a pharmacist at a hospital in DFW and told me they had to find 7 people to get the covid vaccine within 70 minutes last week or it'd go to waste because once it's drawn from the vial, it has a shelf life of 6 hours and they'd have to throw it away after the 6 hours.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 12:42 PM   #15
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliiin View Post
Dang, that sucks OP.

This is what I’m talking about. What a shame.

I think it should be first come, first serve for this reason. I’ve heard a lot of this happens because each location has their own challenges and finding people isn’t always easy when you have certain criteria.

Just let people who want it have it, with a simple line or sign up. We already are going to have people who don’t want it, so why make people who want it wait? It could stop 10 more cases just because someone vaccinated can no longer spread it.
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410880.50
zx10guy5139.00
      01-16-2021, 12:43 PM   #16
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Have you checked the county health websites? That is how you sign up through the mega centers.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 04:16 PM   #17
Browntrash
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e46 m3 6spd, e90 m3 6spd

Have you signed up with Dallas county to get it at fair park? There also an option at parkland.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 05:06 PM   #18
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

In in NY and qualify for 1b. I’m on lists but have no appointment yet. It’s a huge mess.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 05:35 PM   #19
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browntrash View Post
Have you signed up with Dallas county to get it at fair park? There also an option at parkland.
I'm on all lists fairpark was only people 75 and over. It's so frustrating I really need this.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 09:49 PM   #20
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgrae456 View Post
I'm on all lists fairpark was only people 75 and over. It's so frustrating I really need this.
From Dallascounty.org

However, limited supplies of vaccine may be available for persons who meet the Phase 1B criteria (Persons 65 and older, or persons 16+ with underlying medical conditions). DCHHS is collecting names of persons to register for the vaccine, as vaccine becomes available. To register for the vaccine, you need to be in Phase 1A or 1B at this time. Again, those groups include doctors, nurses, first responders, as well as individuals 65 and older and 18 or older with an underlying medical condition. Dallas County is distributing the Moderna vaccine at this time, which is only available to individuals 18 and older.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 11:38 PM   #21
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
From Dallascounty.org

However, limited supplies of vaccine may be available for persons who meet the Phase 1B criteria (Persons 65 and older, or persons 16+ with underlying medical conditions). DCHHS is collecting names of persons to register for the vaccine, as vaccine becomes available. To register for the vaccine, you need to be in Phase 1A or 1B at this time. Again, those groups include doctors, nurses, first responders, as well as individuals 65 and older and 18 or older with an underlying medical condition. Dallas County is distributing the Moderna vaccine at this time, which is only available to individuals 18 and older.
From my link above as of 6AM on the 14th:

Texas
Doses distributed to state: 2,105,600
Doses administered: 1,043,624
Percentage of distributed vaccines that have been administered: 49.56

Now it doesn't go into detail on a per county basis. But with 50% of Texas' allotted vaccines still undistributed, I highly doubt it's a supply limitation. But Texas ranks 6th in the country in getting vaccines out there. So there are plenty of states doing worse.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 06:20 AM   #22
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
The rules are pretty clear for 1A and 1B groups. Just keep checking.

If I were in charge, it’d be first come first serve. The rules make it somewhat bureaucratic and unnecessarily complex. Everyone needs the vaccine and groups not “at risk” are probably the ones spreading the most, so they would be good vaccine candidates too.

I understand we want to get those over 65 first, but healthcare workers actually take precautions unlike so many others. Bottom line, I think arguments for anyone getting a vaccine could be made.

I’d be sticking as many people as possible first and worry about logistics later. Just keep giving vaccines to get this mess behind us.
Agree 110%.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread