BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos    Should I buy this 2007 Aston Martin Vantage V8 Roadster?

11-30-2020, 02:08 PM   #45
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
With something like an AM, invoices below five figures should be pretty much run-of-the-mill upkeep expenses. A GT3 owner once told me his Ferrari was laid up because he didn't want to pay just then for the $20K brake job it needed. An R8 owner told me his brake job was $7K – I'm not sure, but I think that was just the fronts.

In the 70s I paid $1,925 in 10/2020 dollars for some really minor work on a Jaguar. That car had a number of engineered-in flaws that could not be fixed. For example, a V12 exhaust system's heat flowing over the transmission tunnel and into the cockpit. I lived in North Texas at the time, and that was a terrific feature in the winter but just a really bad bug in the summer.

Either the dealers didn't know about the car's failings or they were happy to just take my money and claim the job had been done. I spent too much time arguing over invoices with those dealers' service managers and chose to sell the car after a year of owning and (mostly) enjoying it.
You've got some pretty interesting ownership stories, I enjoyed reading them!

When I saw what it costs to replace the clutch on something the AM V8 and Lotus Evora, it really turned me off to those type of cars. $10k for a clutch job, which entails blowing up apart half the car to get to it, while not costing that much less than what I paid for my E36 M3 really put it into perspective for me.

This is why I'll stick the ///M playground. Parts and repairs aren't cheap, but at least they're not 5 figures expensive unless you blow your engine, and even then you can get away with 4 figures depending what car you have.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
dradernh4179.00
      11-30-2020, 04:58 PM   #46
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Not exciting. What does this car do for you, specifically? The badge? No modern electronics, no high performance engine, not a smashingly elegant interior, no pedigree on par with contemporary MB, Lamborghini, Porsche or Ferrari.

Not for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 07:26 AM   #47
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Not exciting. What does this car do for you, specifically? The badge? No modern electronics, no high performance engine, not a smashingly elegant interior, no pedigree on par with contemporary MB, Lamborghini, Porsche or Ferrari.

Not for me.
For me, good exterior looks, don't see too many on the road, nice sound and affordable entry price...

... and that's about it.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 08:07 AM   #48
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:

Not for me.
AM owners don't necessarily care about 0-60 times, or lap times, or modern electronics, its the intangibles that you can't quantify, that badge, that grille, that oh-so-sultry design on the outside. It's also pretty damn old so expecting modern electronics is kinda unfair, want gadgets? buy a GTR.

Why is there still a massive desire for them? Its that classy British image, and of course, being able to go to the high street without seeing another. Again, its all appearance, an AM looks far more pricey than a 911 even if it is not.

Finally, to say they don't have the pedigree compared to common brands is also misleading, they certainly do whether it is on the silver screen (007), or down the Mulsanne straights (DBR9, Vantage AMR, GTE), may not be the top prototype class, but wins nonetheless

Bottom line, AM buyers buy AM, because AM.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 08:29 AM   #49
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
Quote:

Not for me.
AM owners don't necessarily care about 0-60 times, or lap times, or modern electronics, its the intangibles that you can't quantify, that badge, that grille, that oh-so-sultry design on the outside. It's also pretty damn old so expecting modern electronics is kinda unfair, want gadgets? buy a GTR.

Why is there still a massive desire for them? Its that classy British image, and of course, being able to go to the high street without seeing another. Again, its all appearance, an AM looks far more pricey than a 911 even if it is not.

Finally, to say they don't have the pedigree compared to common brands is also misleading, they certainly do whether it is on the silver screen (007), or down the Mulsanne straights (DBR9, Vantage AMR, GTE), may not be the top prototype class, but wins nonetheless

Bottom line, AM buyers buy AM, because AM.
Agree. AM's have always done three things well in my opinion that I would use to describe the brand. Personality, Acoustic Charm and Natural Beauty. Only issue is, the modern AM's (particularly the Vantage which is hideous) is lacking some of that. I love the older Aston's from this generation, even if they aren't as modern.