BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Going to a Dyno day

01-14-2021, 07:03 PM   #1
EPTXM5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Going to a Dyno day

Gonna do a dyno day w some exotics and was wondering if I just put it in 2wd will that be okay or will it revert back to 4wd or do some weird thing on the dyno? Reason I ask is bc I did a small road trip and wanted to see if my mpg would increase if I did it in rear wheel drive only and after a few miles it switched itself back to awd.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2021, 07:06 PM   #2
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPTXM5 View Post
Gonna do a dyno day w some exotics and was wondering if I just put it in 2wd will that be okay or will it revert back to 4wd or do some weird thing on the dyno? Reason I ask is bc I did a small road trip and wanted to see if my mpg would increase if I did it in rear wheel drive only and after a few miles it switched itself back to awd.
I'd definitely do 2 wheel on the dyno, in fact most dyno are only setup for 2 wheels. very few can do all 4, and even rarely AWD.

so yes, 2 rwd is a good idea. but at a drag strip, you will generate far more power and speed in 4 wd. if they have an awd dyno, it's worth a shot to see what you got at all 4 wheels.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 07:22 PM   #3
EPTXM5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Just wanted to make sure I didn't have to do anything special to make sure it stays in rwd only. Don't want it to freak out on the dyno and jumps off the dyno
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 07:40 PM   #4
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just wanted to make sure I didn't have to do anything special to make sure it stays in rwd only. Don't want it to freak out on the dyno and jumps off the dyno
Ohh. There is a special dyno mode setting, but I forgotten the magic code to get it. You click three times or something, but I forgot.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 07:44 PM   #5
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Definitely this way. Hit it 3 times, press and hold, then there three down and confirm.

Appreciate 0