BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Turning off active sound design

01-10-2021, 11:29 PM   #23
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcai View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
You don't lose any backfires or pops and bangs. It just sounds less because you can't hear it with the sound proof windows.

Roll down your windows, or setup a microphone or camera outside your car. It's there and 100% as loud either way.

Coding it off just removes it from your car stereo speakers. Interior only. Has nothing to do with the engine or exhaust.
I used to wonder why the F10 M5 sounded like half a V10 in the cabin. . I wonder why they decided to tune the ASD in that generation to mimic a V10. Perhaps due to the E60 M5.
Hahaha. I don't know how they tuned it, but I know why they did the Artificial sound. It's because of European restrictions on emissions and mufflers and decibels. They laws are now making it so quiet that you can't hear it inside the car.
So all the manufacturers (VW, Audi, MB, BMW, etc) are adding the fake noises in the stereo car audio soundtrack to mimicking the real noises of older generations.

To BMW credit, it's one of the most advanced fake ones and it actually has a microphone in the engine and exhaust to play back some real sounds through the speakers.

But it's like taking a CD or cassette tape and using a cellphone to record it and play it back through Bluetooth speakers. Any "true" audiophile will cringes at that statement. It's so far from pure that even most non audiophile will notice at least some distortion.
Appreciate 1
pcai377.00
      01-11-2021, 03:50 PM   #24
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Hahaha. I don't know how they tuned it, but I know why they did the Artificial sound. It's because of European restrictions on emissions and mufflers and decibels. They laws are now making it so quiet that you can't hear it inside the car.
So all the manufacturers (VW, Audi, MB, BMW, etc) are adding the fake noises in the stereo car audio soundtrack to mimicking the real noises of older generations.

To BMW credit, it's one of the most advanced fake ones and it actually has a microphone in the engine and exhaust to play back some real sounds through the speakers.

But it's like taking a CD or cassette tape and using a cellphone to record it and play it back through Bluetooth speakers. Any "true" audiophile will cringes at that statement. It's so far from pure that even most non audiophile will notice at least some distortion.
I agree that the newer cabins have really solid sound isolation, hence why they chose to pump in the fake sounds. But funny enough, when they first started using ASD like in the F10s and F80s era, the exhausts were decently loud. I remember with the M4 CS the OEM exhaust and burble tune from BMW was in full bloom. Loud and full of pops and bangs from the factory. I mean even with pre-LCI north american F90s the exhausts are still decently loud and I still struggle to believe that the pops and bangs are tuned this loud from the factory. I guess they originally started doing ASD to compensate for interior isolation, but now they have to rely on it more and more. .
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2021, 06:43 PM   #25
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I agree that the newer cabins have really solid sound isolation, hence why they chose to pump in the fake sounds. But funny enough, when they first started using ASD like in the F10s and F80s era, the exhausts were decently loud. I remember with the M4 CS the OEM exhaust and burble tune from BMW was in full bloom. Loud and full of pops and bangs from the factory. I mean even with pre-LCI north american F90s the exhausts are still decently loud and I still struggle to believe that the pops and bangs are tuned this loud from the factory. I guess they originally started doing ASD to compensate for interior isolation, but now they have to rely on it more and more. .
yep, I agree with all of that, 1000%
Appreciate 2
pcai377.00
      01-13-2021, 06:23 AM   #26
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You don't lose any backfires or pops and bangs. It just sounds less because you can't hear it with the sound proof windows.

Roll down your windows, or setup a microphone or camera outside your car. It's there and 100% as loud either way.

Coding it off just removes it from your car stereo speakers. Interior only. Has nothing to do with the engine or exhaust.
I used to wonder why the F10 M5 sounded like half a V10 in the cabin. . I wonder why they decided to tune the ASD in that generation to mimic a V10. Perhaps due to the E60 M5.

Yup, it's actual engine/exhaust sound, but it's basically autotuned by the ASD algorithm.

I turned it off in my F80 via the JB4. One of the best mods ever.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2021, 10:34 AM   #27
ste0803
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Purple F90 M5 - Stage 1

I've gone old school and just unplugged the ASD in the boot and I have the remus backbox and feel that without the ASD you have no audible feedback from the engine, e.g. when downshifting you can't hear the revs increase from the engine.

I'm still undecided whether I prefer it on or off but its definitely worth trying to see what you prefer.

I would prefer it on but at a lower volume if that were possible as there is so much sound insulation you really can't hear the engine much at all with the windows closed.

I may still plug it back in yet. I'm getting a mid pipe to remove my OPF/GPF's in the coming days to increase the exhaust volume some more and will then decide if I want the ASD on or off.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 01:08 PM   #28
jhbodle
Captain
Rep

Garage List
A few people in this thread have said that pressing the exhaust button on the centre console turns off ASD, is that true? I don't notice any difference in sound with the button on or off during a 70mph cruise.
      01-13-2021, 05:07 PM   #29
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbodle View Post
A few people in this thread have said that pressing the exhaust button on the centre console turns off ASD, is that true? I don't notice any difference in sound with the button on or off during a 70mph cruise.
It definitely does make a difference. Put your throttle in Sport+, then try turning the ASD button off and on, in succession. It’s kind of a huge difference, to my ears. Then, try turning ASD off (throttle still in Sport+), then let the front windows down some, and play around with that setup for a bit. I’m actually OK with ASD. It doesn’t bother me too bad, as it is simply the car’s own sounds being piped back in through the speakers. Now, if they were trying to feed me like Ferrari engine noise, or something like that, that I would have a problem with, as that would be TOTALLY fake, right? But, I mean the car’s own noises picked up and then piped back through the speakers? That doesn’t really bother me. It really means one thing, the cabin is insulated very well, which is great. That means the thing is still a luxury cruiser.

On the downside, I can’t see how this could NOT cut into the goodness that is the B&W system. So, if I’m really into listening to whatever I’ve got playing, I’ll just “cut” the exhaust off. What can I say? I like options, and technology.

Last edited by ///WeissBisBlau; 01-13-2021 at 05:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:30 PM   #30
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Exhaust button controls ASD, valves, and burble tune in S+ engine. Turning exhaust button off closes/disables all of those things together. It makes a very big difference. Go to S+ engine and toggle the exhaust button with windows up. You will definitely hear the ASD.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2021, 07:08 PM   #31
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Exhaust button controls ASD, valves, and burble tune in S+ engine. Turning exhaust button off closes/disables all of those things together. It makes a very big difference. Go to S+ engine and toggle the exhaust button with windows up. You will definitely hear the ASD.
I agree, unless you're deaf, you will hear the difference for sure.
Appreciate 1
pcai377.00
      02-01-2021, 07:34 PM   #32
Mcc420
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX

Garage List
2023 g80x  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I used Carly today and coded it off and I still have burbles.

F90 Comp, Hcp custom e40 meth, 9.76@143, 174ml/h 1/2ml 60-130 5.53

F10 M5, HCP Tune ,BM3, 10:8@137, 166.05 1/2ml.
Ig @mcc420
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 11:31 PM   #33
SatinblkF90
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David911 View Post
I just want to confirm that when coded off (as opposed to using exhaust button) you lose backfires.

I hate the idea of sound over the speakers, but would like whatever natural sound is produced.

If you turn it off using the internal sport exhaust button, does it do the same thing as doing it from BimmerCode? As in, it only turns it off on the speakers but the outside sound with backfires still remain the same?

What's the point in anyone using BimmerCode to do this if the sport exhaust button does the same thing ?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 01:22 AM   #34
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp First Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinblkF90 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I just want to confirm that when coded off (as opposed to using exhaust button) you lose backfires.

I hate the idea of sound over the speakers, but would like whatever natural sound is produced.

If you turn it off using the internal sport exhaust button, does it do the same thing as doing it from BimmerCode? As in, it only turns it off on the speakers but the outside sound with backfires still remain the same?

What's the point in anyone using BimmerCode to do this if the sport exhaust button does the same thing ?
ASD turns off interior speaker sound only. Turning off Sport exhaust button closes the exhaust valve which will reduce exhaust sound and burbles all together.
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4 GranSport
Appreciate 2
      02-02-2021, 10:11 AM   #35
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinblkF90 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly what GTATX said. Speakers vs exhaust; software vs hardware.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2021, 01:17 AM   #36
ste0803
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Purple F90 M5 - Stage 1

The best way to do this I’ve found is to unplug the module from the boot so that you still have burbles and exhaust flap control via the exhaust button in the cabin.

It does help immensely if you have a modified exhaust to add some extra volume to the car so it can be heard inside.

Catback Remus has made the car sound as it should do imo and no fake noise in the cabin and still pops and bags as it did stock just much louder.
Appreciate 2