BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    Lawyer question/advice

11-18-2022, 04:19 PM   #1
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Lawyer question/advice

Hi all,
It seems my Neighbor is applying through my town for a "hardship" building permit. I understand these are very hard to pass, but I'd like to hire a Lawyer to assist me in my opposition to his proposed build.

#1 he abuts a Wetlands area that is approximately 50 yards from his back deck. He wants to wlpe the deck out, pour a new foundation, and build an additional 15x20 structure added to the back of the house.
#2 he wants to build out 4 feet toward my property which is already very close because we are on waterfront property.
#3 he wants to build a 2 car garage in front of his property that will completely block views from myself and the other neighbor next to him.

What type of Lawyer should I contact for this dispute? Are there specific Lawyers that deal with these situations ?

Thank you!
Mark
      11-18-2022, 04:26 PM   #2
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]

well what is your argument, what he/she cant do on their own land??
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 04:27 PM   #3
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

You need a local attorney that specializes in real estate, and ideally has experience with the town and so forth.

We found our attorney (for our wills, but turns out he is a land use expert here) through neighbor referrals. If I needed what you need, I’d start with our attorney and ask him for who is best.

Another approach is to look at past cases with your zoning board or whatever, and see if you can identify the attorneys that were successful and generally on your side of the issues.

And finally, you can attend the meetings to see who is presenting, and who you like, then ask them to either represent you or provide a referral.
Appreciate 2
      11-18-2022, 04:31 PM   #4
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
You need a local attorney that specializes in real estate, and ideally has experience with the town and so forth.

We found our attorney (for our wills, but turns out he is a land use expert here) through neighbor referrals. If I needed what you need, I’d start with our attorney and ask him for who is best.

Another approach is to look at past cases with your zoning board or whatever, and see if you can identify the attorneys that were successful and generally on your side of the issues.

And finally, you can attend the meetings to see who is presenting, and who you like, then ask them to either represent you or provide a referral.
Thank you! I've never had to use an Attorney, so I'm a bit clueless.
Will call around on Monday and search for real estate and zoning Lawyers.
If you want to PM your attorney's info, I will call them also.
      11-18-2022, 04:46 PM   #5
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post

well what is your argument, what he/she cant do on their own land??
Nope, not at all, if its LEGAL to do.

#1, there is a 250 foot setback for new builds on wetlands.
#2, the property line setbacks in my town require 30 feet to build, he is trying to do this with about 15 feet and then build further toward me another 4 feet.
#3 in my town you cannot build something that blocks the view of neighbors.
#4 He wants to build his garage direclty atop his Septic Leach Field.

I know it all sounds ridiculous, but this guy is despised in our neighborhood. He got divorced, moved here 3yrs ago, met a new lady who "supposedly" was abused and beaten by her ex husband and 3 children, and has not seen or spoken to them in 15 years, to include thier grandkids. As soon as they married, he disowned his own 2 teenage children claiming they wanted to kill him, or have him kill himself.

After hearing that, I've not spoken to him in almost 2 yrs.
      11-18-2022, 04:55 PM   #6
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Not sure how things work in NH, but #4 is an absolute NO GO and would nix the garage portion of his plans...
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410981.00
      11-18-2022, 05:01 PM   #7
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Not sure how things work in NH, but #4 is an absolute NO GO and would nix the garage portion of his plans...
Of course it is. He is just an Ahole to be honest.

But I am for sure not losing this one. He recently installed a 10 foot fence in front of his property, on our line, which basically makes me see just fence when I look out my windows. The NH state law on fences is 6 foot in back 4 feet in front. So that gives you an example what I deal with.

Every single night I have to put up with his billion watt LED spotlights going off 50x or more pointing at my house. He has them set so sensitive that every time a car passes 100 yds away, they go off.

I'm sure the Town will just deny the Permit, but I want to make damn sure it never happens. He can dormer it, or whatever, but not this BS.
      11-18-2022, 06:09 PM   #8
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkHealer View Post
Of course it is. He is just an Ahole to be honest.

But I am for sure not losing this one. He recently installed a 10 foot fence in front of his property, on our line, which basically makes me see just fence when I look out my windows. The NH state law on fences is 6 foot in back 4 feet in front. So that gives you an example what I deal with.

Every single night I have to put up with his billion watt LED spotlights going off 50x or more pointing at my house. He has them set so sensitive that every time a car passes 100 yds away, they go off.

I'm sure the Town will just deny the Permit, but I want to make damn sure it never happens. He can dormer it, or whatever, but not this BS.
Your state has laws on the height on fences? Your state?

You should live in an HOA neighborhood
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 06:10 PM   #9
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Hi all,
It seems my Neighbor is applying through my town for a "hardship" building permit. I understand these are very hard to pass, but I'd like to hire a Lawyer to assist me in my opposition to his proposed build.

#1 he abuts a Wetlands area that is approximately 50 yards from his back deck. He wants to wlpe the deck out, pour a new foundation, and build an additional 15x20 structure added to the back of the house.
#2 he wants to build out 4 feet toward my property which is already very close because we are on waterfront property.
#3 he wants to build a 2 car garage in front of his property that will completely block views from myself and the other neighbor next to him.

What type of Lawyer should I contact for this dispute? Are there specific Lawyers that deal with these situations ?

Thank you!
Mark
I used a Nashua real estate attorney a number of years ago; however, I no longer have any of the documents associated with the issue and cannot recall his name.

If you don't find a referral by other means, I suggest contacting the NH Bar Association for a referral: https://www.nhbar.org/lawyer-referral-service.

Good luck with it.
Appreciate 2
      11-18-2022, 06:13 PM   #10
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
I used a Nashua real estate attorney a number of years ago; however, I no longer have any of the documents associated with the issue and cannot recall his name.

If you don't find a referral by other means, I suggest contacting the NH Bar Association for a referral: https://www.nhbar.org/lawyer-referral-service.

Good luck with it.
Thank you Sir!
      11-18-2022, 06:18 PM   #11
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
Your state has laws on the height on fences? Your state?

You should live in an HOA neighborhood
Yes it does. In the " Live Free or Die " state.
THE LAW: "You do not need a permit. Fences are not to exceed a height of 6' in the back or sides of the property, or 4 feet in the front"

Oddly, I could care less about the illegal fence as I dont have to see them as much. But when you start damaging my property value due to being an idiot, then I start caring.
      11-18-2022, 06:29 PM   #12
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Hi all,

Thank you!
Mark
Are your neighbor’s plans legal?

What is the purpose of a hardship permit? What exemptions does it provide?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 06:43 PM   #13
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post

I doubt it.
This all happened today as he had a GC over going over all the details of his fantasy project. Lucky for me, with his 10 foot fence, I was able to hear everything discussed.

I am trying to be proactive prior to the Town sending out Signature Required USPS statements, so i'm ahead of the game. I literally was only aware of his "master plan" today.

On another note, my property is NOT in wetlands. I have direct water access per the State, my house is 3x the size of his and I have 3x the property/lawn size. He's attempting to catch up in his 720 sq ft hobbit house.
      11-18-2022, 07:10 PM   #14
Prp77
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Mark,

I also live in NH and serve on my town’s Planning Board and was previously on the Zoning Board of Adjustment.

This document outlines the steps your neighbor would have to prove to succeed in getting a variance. https://www.nh.gov/osi/resource-libr...definition.pdf

You would be looking for an attorney specializing in municipal law. Our town uses this firm and the lawyer we have experience with has been very good.
https://dwmlaw.com/practice-areas/municipal-law/

I’m new here else I would DM you (I need more posts + 7 days). I’d be happy to get on a call with you if you had further questions. Not sure you would be comfortable with it but if you posted your # here I can reach out.

Either way best of luck. On the surface it sounds like your neighbor has an uphill battle, but without more specifics it’s hard to say what his chances are.

Doug
Appreciate 2
2000cs3502.50
      11-18-2022, 07:14 PM   #15
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prp77 View Post
Mark,

I also live in NH and serve on my town’s Planning Board and was previously on the Zoning Board of Adjustment.

This document outlines the steps your neighbor would have to prove to succeed in getting a variance. https://www.nh.gov/osi/resource-libr...definition.pdf

You would be looking for an attorney specializing in municipal law. Our town uses this firm and the lawyer we have experience with has been very good.
https://dwmlaw.com/practice-areas/municipal-law/

I’m new here else I would DM you (I need more posts + 7 days). I’d be happy to get on a call with you if you had further questions. Not sure you would be comfortable with it but if you posted your # here I can reach out.

Either way best of luck. On the surface it sounds like your neighbor has an uphill battle, but without more specifics it’s hard to say what his chances are.

Doug
Doug,

Appreciate this!
Grab a few more posts and DM me if you wish.
If you're in the Nashua area, i'd love to speak with you.
I actually live in Hollis, but nobody knows where that is. LOL

Mark
      11-18-2022, 07:23 PM   #16
Prp77
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Quote:
Doug,

Appreciate this!
Grab a few more posts and DM me if you wish.
If you're in the Nashua area, i'd love to speak with you.
I actually live in Hollis, but nobody knows where that is. LOL

Mark
I’m familiar with Hollis. Used to live in Groton Ma, wife grew up and still has family in Amherst, NH.

I’m now living on a small lake in Wakefield nh. I’ll see what I can do about upping my post count while trying to be relevant to the thread(s). If nothing has been submitted to the town and no abutter notices have been sent yet you still have a bit of time. I’ll reach out as soon as I can.

Doug
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2022, 07:31 PM   #17
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prp77 View Post
I’m familiar with Hollis. Used to live in Groton Ma, wife grew up and still has family in Amherst, NH.

I’m now living on a small lake in Wakefield nh. I’ll see what I can do about upping my post count while trying to be relevant to the thread(s). If nothing has been submitted to the town and no abutter notices have been sent yet you still have a bit of time. I’ll reach out as soon as I can.

Doug
If you're familiar with a certain "Rocko" Italian Restuarant owner in Groton, we definitely need to talk.

Hahaha..funny story
      11-18-2022, 08:24 PM   #18
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post

Chassis, I doubt they are legal. As he just today had a GC come over.
Of course the GC was all about sucking money in, but I think the project is ridiculous.
      11-18-2022, 10:39 PM   #19
Littierally
Be Present
Rep
Drives: F10 M5C, F90 M5CS

OP - no offense, but I’m grateful I don’t have neighbors like you.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      11-18-2022, 11:50 PM   #20
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littierally View Post
OP - no offense, but I’m grateful I don’t have neighbors like you.
Strong disagree - don't feel like typing any further
Appreciate 2
CamasM3e933164.00
UncleWede18026.50
      11-19-2022, 12:06 AM   #21
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
I doubt it.
This all happened today as he had a GC over going over all the details of his fantasy project. Lucky for me, with his 10 foot fence, I was able to hear everything discussed.

I am trying to be proactive prior to the Town sending out Signature Required USPS statements, so i'm ahead of the game. I literally was only aware of his "master plan" today.

On another note, my property is NOT in wetlands. I have direct water access per the State, my house is 3x the size of his and I have 3x the property/lawn size. He's attempting to catch up in his 720 sq ft hobbit house.
You sound like a treat… hope things work out for you and your big property with your view…
Appreciate 2
Tyga113235.50
      11-19-2022, 03:16 AM   #22
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

If the structures being built against the law… Let him build them… And then bring in the lawyers
Appreciate 0