proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

12-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #45
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMMLaw View Post
Would the M-performance lip scratch on a non-lowered M4?
Never understood these questions, although I'm sure you did not word it correctly. But it's entirely up to you if it scrapes or not. I can drive with 2" clearance and scrape less than others.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #46
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Would the M-performance lip scratch on a non-lowered M4? Also, would you get it color matched to the vehicle or not?.. I'm struggling with that decision.
It can with high curbs, etc (much less parking space barriers). You need to be careful here in New Orleans. Originally I planned to go RKP but the cheaper OEM bendy plastic reassures me. I have had a few small underside scrapes to the lip, but you can't see them unless you are under the lip.

I didn't color match it.I like the aggressive black look. It would be nice if it was glossy black on top, but that's a minor quibble.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #47
IMMLaw
Esq.
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-100 nga real quick View Post
Never understood these questions, although I'm sure you did not word it correctly. But it's entirely up to you if it scrapes or not. I can drive with 2" clearance and scrape less than others.
Sorry, its been a hectic day at the office and I'm juggling reading the forums, typing posts, and dealing with phone calls all at the same time.

It just seemed that many on here were saying they were scraping their lip going out of something as simple as a driveway. I noticed that the majority of these individuals have lowered their car and I was wondering if that was what was the main cause of why their lip was scraping versus just that it hangs too low.

Hence the question: If I don't lower my M4, but install the M-performance lip, am I still likely to scrape everywhere I go because it hangs low or is it predominantly occurring because the car is lowered?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #48
IMMLaw
Esq.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post
It can with high curbs, etc (much less parking space barriers). You need to be careful here in New Orleans. Originally I planned to go RKP but the cheaper OEM bendy plastic reassures me. I have had a few small underside scrapes to the lip, but you can't see them unless you are under the lip.

I didn't color match it.I like the aggressive black look. It would be nice if it was glossy black on top, but that's a minor quibble.
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll go with the OEM look then - I have an AW so I think black would contrast nicely. Are you a fan of the CF splitters?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 04:52 PM   #49
GTR>M3
Rep
Drives: M3 MW

Can you install the lip without the CF splitter? liked the lip not the splitter
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #50
IMMLaw
Esq.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR>M3 View Post
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 07:43 PM   #51
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, its been a hectic day at the office and I'm juggling reading the forums, typing posts, and dealing with phone calls all at the same time.

It just seemed that many on here were saying they were scraping their lip going out of something as simple as a driveway. I noticed that the majority of these individuals have lowered their car and I was wondering if that was what was the main cause of why their lip was scraping versus just that it hangs too low.

Hence the question: If I don't lower my M4, but install the M-performance lip, am I still likely to scrape everywhere I go because it hangs low or is it predominantly occurring because the car is lowered?
I say just be careful and you should be good.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #52
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR>M3 View Post
There are threads mentioning it will not work. Someone showed a gap between the lip and underneath where the carbon splitter should be.

Here is a thread where it looks like it works: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1034336

But then look at post #60 with pics http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=60

And here are other quotes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND View Post
The front splitter from BMW must be installed with the carbon uppers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian06 View Post
I just installed my performance lip yesterday night. The gap is noticeable. Not only that, without the carbon fiber diffuser side pieces, it reveals the underside of the main plastic mounting bracket (the spoiler kit comes in three pieces). So it’s an eyesore. I shouldve waited. The fitment wasnt spot on either. Its quality I would expect from a knockoff vs OEM.

BTW, it’s a pig of an install too. You have to trim your lower splash guard and BMW uses these dumb pinch squeeze tapping thing to hold the matte lip in place. It’s a real @#$%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
Yeah, I wanted the lip with no splitters at first, too. But, the gap is just way too big. Supposedly BMW did a run of plastic splitters that fit without the CF bits, but they are not actually available.

It does stick down very low. I tried to drive over a pine cone and ended up hitting it. Good thing it's plastic and not horribly expensive to replace... I am a lot less worried about the CF bits because the plastic lip protects them.

Install is a huge pain in the butt - I don't know how you'd do it without one of those plastic rivet tools, to cut the peg off the fastener.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 02:26 AM   #53
GTR>M3
Rep
Drives: M3 MW

How much shop usually charge for the lip and splitter install?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #54
jballs16
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 RS6, RR LWB, Raptor

Looks like the RKP lip curves slightly upwards, which is unfortunate. Something I love about the BMW performance lip is its parralel with the ground, extending outward perfectly horizontal. Can someone take a ground level profile shot of the RKP lip to confirm?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 12:51 PM   #55
acuteperformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Audi R8 V8 | 15 BMW M4 YMB

Yes I am in the process of manufacturing a straight lip that is parallel with the ground
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 02:50 PM   #56
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMMLaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll go with the OEM look then - I have an AW so I think black would contrast nicely. Are you a fan of the CF splitters?
I originally was not sold on them but after install I am pleased -- the total package looks tight in person.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 10:14 PM   #57
jballs16
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 RS6, RR LWB, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by acuteperformance View Post
Yes I am in the process of manufacturing a straight lip that is parallel with the ground

Awesome, that's great news. Thanks for the quick reply.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #58
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballs16 View Post
Looks like the RKP lip curves slightly upwards, which is unfortunate. Something I love about the BMW performance lip is its parralel with the ground, extending outward perfectly horizontal. Can someone take a ground level profile shot of the RKP lip to confirm?
I've been asking for this since day one of release on the RKP. IND has been no help in providing more pics from a lower angle. There is a member here that should be installing his any day now and will be providing pics.
Appreciate 0