vs Tesla Model S Plaid

Anyone compared these yet?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 02:57 AM   #2
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

From the standpoint of raw straight line performance, it won't end well. The Plaid put the Taycan Turbo S to sleep. The M5 won't stand a chance. The EVs won the drag race a long time ago. I don't care - still won't buy one.

Appreciate 3
AlexFL7833.00
sullic70.50
eugenebmw1350.00
      08-01-2021, 10:20 PM   #3
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

same ^

i'm not driving a car i can't hear.

Bury me in a v8
Appreciate 10
somer946.00
Al Pină1838.50
zdbmw46.00
Russ103300.50
eugenebmw1350.00
      08-02-2021, 06:01 AM   #4
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

In the M5, you have been disconnected from the steering and throttle and engine sounds play over the sound system.
Appreciate 2
picaso145.00
gblansten1913.00
      08-02-2021, 02:50 PM   #5
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Tesla will make the M5 look like it's standing still.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 1
picaso145.00
      08-02-2021, 02:57 PM   #6
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
I've never liked the design of Tesla cars, but I've always respected what Elon has done to the EV industry. No question the Model S Plaid performance is outstanding and second only to the Remac Nevera.

But I'm still questioning the fit and finish, lack of sound, as well as the lack of real tactile buttons and switches in the Tesla. It would drive me crazy with that new Yoke steering wheel as well. It's just not for me. Not yet.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 04:56 PM   #7
TTHURACAN
Banned
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini

The only street cars with the power and traction to easily beat the plaid from a dig and roll will be built GTRz and TT Lambos/R8s....
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 07:04 PM   #8
BayDriverSF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 2021

I need a car that I can refuel in 45 seconds flat in the middle of nowhere, sorry.

My EV friends brag about some hypothetical "0-60" scenario that would look cool on YouTube, but is illegal on public roads. Meanwhile, on road trips, they lag behind 4-6 hours because they can't find a "supercharger". By the time they finally hobble in on 1% battery, late in the evening and mentally drained from "range anxiety", I've already checked into the hotel, explored the whole town, and had dinner. Then it's storytime about how lucky they feel that they made it at all. By then, I'm usually already asleep. You can guess what happens the next morning. They can't get going until late afternoon, because the hotel only had a trickle charger that got turned off overnight, and some other EV guy was hogging the spot until 10am. After all that, my EV friends just borrow the wife's gasoline minivan for the next trip. I can't blame them.

But hey, if you're just getting groceries in town, then EV is awesome. I once saw a Tesla beat a Lamborghini by 0.3 seconds out of the Whole Foods parking lot. I don't think anyone really noticed though. They were all checking out the Lambo.

Last edited by BayDriverSF; 01-03-2022 at 12:25 AM..
Appreciate 23
BSdoc44.50
flanast148.50
TrevorM33317.50
Slugsy01155.50
AlexFL7833.00
zdbmw46.00
Russ103300.50
Swappy531.50
Southern297.00
omgmike358.00
kris1858555.00
3er945.00
harperium1277.00
jm490519.00
eugenebmw1350.00
      08-03-2021, 06:47 AM   #9
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Maybe the EV car drivers enjoy the adventure. It takes more planning and there are tech things you can occupy yourself with if you are into them, like battery discharge at various speeds, regenerative braking, etc.
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2021, 07:54 AM   #10
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDriverSF View Post
I need a car that I can refuel in 45 seconds flat in the middle of nowhere, sorry.

My EV friends brag about some hypothetical "0-60" scenario that would look cool on YouTube, but is illegal on public roads. Meanwhile, during road trips, they lag behind by 4-6 hours because they can't find a "supercharger". By the time they finally hobble in on 1% battery, late in the evening and mentally drained from "range anxiety", I've already checked into the hotel, explored the whole town, and had dinner. Then it's storytime about how lucky they feel that they made it at all. By then, I'm usually fast asleep. You can guess what happens the next morning. They can't get started until late afternoon, because the hotel only had a trickle charger that got turned off overnight, and some other EV guy was occupying the spot until 6am. After all that, my EV friends just borrow the wife's gasoline car for the next trip.

But hey, if you're just getting groceries in town, then EV is awesome. I once saw a Tesla beat a Lamborghini out of the Whole Foods parking lot. I don't think anyone really noticed though. They were all checking out the Lambo.
Funny
Appreciate 5
      08-03-2021, 08:54 AM   #11
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:

My EV friends brag about some hypothetical "0-60" scenario that would look cool on YouTube, but is illegal on public roads. Meanwhile, during road trips, they lag behind by 4-6 hours because they can't find a "supercharger". By the time they finally hobble in on 1% battery, late in the evening and mentally drained from "range anxiety", I've already checked into the hotel, explored the whole town, and had dinner. Then it's storytime about how lucky they feel that they made it at all. By then, I'm usually fast asleep. You can guess what happens the next morning. They can't get started until late afternoon, because the hotel only had a trickle charger that got turned off overnight, and some other EV guy was occupying the spot until 6am. After all that, my EV friends just borrow the wife's gasoline car for the next trip.

But hey, if you're just getting groceries in town, then EV is awesome. I once saw a Tesla beat a Lamborghini out of the Whole Foods parking lot. I don't think anyone really noticed though. They were all checking out the Lambo.
You write very well! This is funny.
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 6
zdbmw46.00
Swappy531.50
eugenebmw1350.00
      08-03-2021, 02:20 PM   #12
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

"Horses for courses."

We drive my wife's Model 3 Performance for all our around town and shorter day trip driving. It is fine for normal driving and comfortable. It has been dead reliable for over 2 years and 27,000 miles. At $0.075 per kW hour for charging at home, it is basically equivalent to free gas, plus no scheduled maintenance (oil change, etc.). It also handles quite respectably and will run 11.7 1/4 miles all day.

On the other hand, due to some Supercharger mishaps, and a desire to take road trips to obscure places, the Tesla is definitely not our serious road trip car. Our 2021 M5 Comp has already proven its mettle on a 1,500 road trip. Cruising at 70 to 75 MPH, I can easily cover 350 to 400 miles between gas stops (but we usually have to take bathroom breaks more often :-). At those speeds, the Tesla can only go about 200 to 220 miles. The M5 is faster, has a more comfortable interior, more luggage and passenger space AND better highway self-driving capabilities.

We are lucky to be able to afford both vehicles. Given that, I would not give up either car and see the value in both.
Appreciate 3
FCX52352.00
omgmike358.00
      08-04-2021, 06:16 PM   #13
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:

Horses for courses as they say. You need more than one tool in the box. LOL. The Plaid's range makes it usable for most use cases that people have…not just picking up grocery.

Yeah, the Plaid is going to be faster, if that is what is being asked. The Plaid will destroy the M5 in a sprint race, the M5 will win a marathon or trips beyond 200 miles. For now I'd still get an M5, but huge respect for what Tesla and Elon have done. It is not easy to disrupt such a big industry…
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2021, 06:17 PM   #14
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by irablumberg View Post
"Horses for courses."

We drive my wife's Model 3 Performance for all our around town and shorter day trip driving. It is fine for normal driving and comfortable. It has been dead reliable for over 2 years and 27,000 miles. At $0.075 per kW hour for charging at home, it is basically equivalent to free gas, plus no scheduled maintenance (oil change, etc.). It also handles quite respectably and will run 11.7 1/4 miles all day.

On the other hand, due to some Supercharger mishaps, and a desire to take road trips to obscure places, the Tesla is definitely not our serious road trip car. Our 2021 M5 Comp has already proven its mettle on a 1,500 road trip. Cruising at 70 to 75 MPH, I can easily cover 350 to 400 miles between gas stops (but we usually have to take bathroom breaks more often :-). At those speeds, the Tesla can only go about 200 to 220 miles. The M5 is faster, has a more comfortable interior, more luggage and passenger space AND better highway self-driving capabilities.

We are lucky to be able to afford both vehicles. Given that, I would not give up either car and see the value in both.
I think I typed 'horses for courses' at the same time you did! FWIW, my wife drives a Model Y Performance. LOL
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 06:23 PM   #15
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

M5 isn't in lambo territory. I think the average person cannot differentiate between an M5 and 540i with M5 badges. However, that is what makes the M5 special. A super car disguised as a family sedan. The Tesla Plaid is paying homage to that vision of BMW as well…

But I agree, for longer trips an M5 would be better than a Plaid from a practical purpose.

Also electrics are more than just straight line performance. One reason Rimac is taking over Bugatti with Porsche.

Link to Laguna Seca and we already know about Pikes Peak.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...a-seca-record/

Last edited by FCX5; 08-05-2021 at 05:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 05:46 PM   #16
bimmerbeast7
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5C - '04 m3 manual coupe

not to mention.. EV's are NOT better for the environment.

the 0-60 is the gimmick
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2021, 06:20 PM   #17
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbeast7 View Post

the 0-60 is the gimmick
Sorry, but that is just wrong. EV's are already better for the environment in many areas where electricity is primarily generated through renewable sources and will become even better as generation sources continue to move to a greater proportion of renewable sources.

Also, the Tesla Plaid and Porsche Taycan are quicker than ICE cars in all acceleration metrics, not just 0-60.

EVs are the future and are better for the planet, like it or not.
Appreciate 2
FCX52352.00
chris7197273.00
      08-06-2021, 07:22 PM   #18
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbeast7 View Post

the 0-60 is the gimmick
You do realize the Tesla Plaid will out perform the M5 in almost any performance criteria not just 0-60. The handling is also pretty good in that it set the records at Leguna Seca track and won Pikes Peak. What you are saying is ignorance you can correct just by going online…a lot of people with impressive garages are buying Plaid. Not sure about the M5 - which is also an amazing car. The plaid IMHO is another important milestone for EV by Tesla. You have to admire what they are doing, even if it hurts your feelings…
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2021, 09:30 PM   #19
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Sorry, but that is just wrong. EV's are already better for the environment in many areas where electricity is primarily generated through renewable sources and will become even better as generation sources continue to move to a greater proportion of renewable sources.

Also, the Tesla Plaid and Porsche Taycan are quicker than ICE cars in all acceleration metrics, not just 0-60.

Better from a fueling perspective IF the electricity is from renewables. Even California purchases electricity from carbon plants....outside of California....

EV's are much worse from a construction point of view. Battery elements come from the earth. A LOT of new mining is taking place to create the batteries...that mining has environmental destruction issues all of it's own. Plus the Carbon needed to power the mining. Plus the majority of the mining is outside the USA where environmental regulations are a j o k e.

Hydrogen would be a much better choice , except the corrupt politicians have created a "battery movement".....for a while...until they tell us it's dirty and create another "Movement" to siphon more $$$$
Appreciate 4
jninja514.50
Russ103300.50
Swappy531.50
harperium1277.00
      08-07-2021, 12:34 AM   #20
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Quote:

Better from a fueling perspective IF the electricity is from renewables. Even California purchases electricity from carbon plants....outside of California....

EV's are much worse from a construction point of view. Battery elements come from the earth. A LOT of new mining is taking place to create the batteries...that mining has environmental destruction issues all of it's own. Plus the Carbon needed to power the mining. Plus the majority of the mining is outside the USA where environmental regulations are a j o k e.

Hydrogen would be a much better choice , except the corrupt politicians have created a "battery movement".....for a while...until they tell us it's dirty and create another "Movement" to siphon more $$$$
I always found that ironic as well because you're dead on the money. The amount of damage that's caused by all the mining to source all that's needed to create these batteries. Not to mention, how do they get disposed of?

A lot of the eco friendly solutions replace one problem with another truthfully. Organic foods come to mind.
Appreciate 3
Russ103300.50
Swappy531.50
      08-07-2021, 12:41 AM   #21
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
I always found that ironic as well because you're dead on the money. The amount of damage that's caused by all the mining to source all that's needed to create these batteries. Not to mention, how do they get disposed of?

A lot of the eco friendly solutions replace one problem with another truthfully. Organic foods come to mind.
At the risk of going way off topic, perhaps you should research the horrors caused by fracking and oil extraction and oil spills before complaining about mining for battery material.

And to answer your question about EV batteries, there are robust recycling programs that reduce waste tremendously.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 12:50 AM   #22
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post

At the risk of going way off topic, perhaps you should research the horrors caused by fracking and oil extraction and oil spills before complaining about mining for battery material.

And to answer your question about EV batteries, there are robust recycling programs that reduce waste tremendously.
I'm sorry did I say ev bad oil good? If you can't see the irony on environmental pundits touting all the good they do for the environment is all I was saying. Nowhere did I say oil good ev bad so you can get off your soap box. Thank you for proving my point literally in seconds. Ain't nobody innocent in ev and fuel.
Appreciate 1