BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Regional Forums UK    Mid midlife crisis?

07-25-2021, 01:40 PM   #1
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sideways

Mid midlife crisis?

Hello. I'm picking up my M5 Comp (build date March 2020) next week and can't figure out what I've bought...

From what I can tell, it is pre-LCI 'cos of the front and rear light designs and the buttons next to the 'gear stick'. But it's running iDrive OS7 with the digital dash (as opposed to dials).

I though that only the LCI cars had the OS7 update and that pre-updates were OS6 / dials? Or was the digital dash an option on the pre-LCI?

Cheers.
Attached Images

07-25-2021, 04:05 PM   #2
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D_SE_Man, F90_M5C

Idrive 7 came in the pre-LCI cars with build after sept 19 (or there abouts).
Whatever idrive it has or pre-LCI, or LCI, it's a frickin awesome piece of kit.
I'm still astounded by its capabilities everytime I drive mine. What a package. Enjoy dude. You've made a great purchase.
Appreciate 1
Karl V100.50
      07-25-2021, 04:17 PM   #3
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Fantastic - thanks Maxlude

Thought for a minute I had a bit of a Frankenstein's Monster, but I guess the car just fell inside that short period of change over

The big question will be whether it kept the already muted pops and bangs. I'll find out soon I suppose...
      07-26-2021, 04:12 AM   #4
Metzeler
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl V View Post

Thought for a minute I had a bit of a Frankenstein's Monster, but I guess the car just fell inside that short period of change over

The big question will be whether it kept the already muted pops and bangs. I'll find out soon I suppose...
Welcome to the club, many happy motoring miles to come
Karl V100.50
      07-26-2021, 10:54 AM   #5
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:

Yes, you will have the, admittedly, slightly muted, pops and bangs, its just the LCI, that has them removed. The Pre LCI, got the new digi dash, and i drive 7
Appreciate 1
Karl V100.50
      07-27-2021, 02:49 PM   #6
BrntRubber
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 991 Speedster and F90 M5

My csr has stage 2 Evolve and I wish it had less pops and bangs. Such an epic car it dosnt need all this backfiring etc
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 04:01 AM   #7
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Yes, you will have the, admittedly, slightly muted, pops and bangs, its just the LCI, that has them removed. The Pre LCI, got the new digi dash, and i drive 7
The topic of exhaust noise seems to be vast on forums. It's a personal opinion but I think the pre sept 19 build, before the current EU regs came into force, F90 M5 is a great compromise. I can't say about post sept 19 as I've not heard one close up.
On a long family trip with baby in back, I shut the flaps and in efficient...just a nice and smooth and quiet cruiser.
On my own, I have flaps open, get to hear more v8 rumble, some pops and bangs in sport+, but not bloody annoying like the local straight piped Ford RS or M3/4s that's had every add on body kit to compensate for something haha
That's not really what an M5 is about....in my opinion.
Appreciate 2
Simon H874.50
F30Andy1748.50
      08-01-2021, 01:32 PM   #8
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Not wanting to turn this thread into yet another pops and bangs thread, but it seems that I have zero poppage or bangage.

We know that the LCI has muted all overrun pops, but it may be that that 'cut off' was actually iDrive 7.0 and not necessarily the LCI bodywork (?)

If this is the case, it kinda makes sense as the muting of overrun burble, as we know, is a software update and not necessarily a hardware update (like lights, bumpers and dampers and other goodies that the LCI is known for). So this leaves the one final marketed changed between per-LCI and LCI - IDrive 7.0 and the Live Cockpit. I reckon this is where they have snuck in the new mapping.

Which in theory means I could be running a 625hP car rather than 616. It's getting too complicated now...

My head hurts...
      08-01-2021, 01:42 PM   #9
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp First Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Hello. I'm picking up my M5 Comp (build date March 2020) next week and can't figure out what I've bought...

From what I can tell, it is pre-LCI 'cos of the front and rear light designs and the buttons next to the 'gear stick'. But it's running iDrive OS7 with the digital dash (as opposed to dials).

I though that only the LCI cars had the OS7 update and that pre-updates were OS6 / dials? Or was the digital dash an option on the pre-LCI?

Cheers.
2020 got the os7 and digital dash. LCI is just cosmetics changes.
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4 GranSport
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 03:06 PM   #10
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTATX View Post
2020 got the os7 and digital dash. LCI is just cosmetics changes.
Agreed. I'm also thinking though that OS7 bought the 'remap', which mutes the pops and bangs - as I have none. Which may also mean... OS7 bought the HP increase (as part of the remap) and not the 'cosmetic changes' of the LCI which are after all... just cosmetic.

Unless there was a pre-LCI map for OS6 (616Hp and pops) and a pre-LCI map for OS 7 (616Hp and no pops), then a LCI map on OS7 (625Hp and no pops). In which case I have a mid mid midlife crisis.

But now I'm just boring myself

Regardless... nice car!
      08-01-2021, 03:50 PM   #11
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Not wanting to turn this thread into yet another pops and bangs thread, but it seems that I have zero poppage or bangage.

We know that the LCI has muted all overrun pops, but it may be that that 'cut off' was actually iDrive 7.0 and not necessarily the LCI bodywork (?)

If this is the case, it kinda makes sense as the muting of overrun burble, as we know, is a software update and not necessarily a hardware update (like lights, bumpers and dampers and other goodies that the LCI is known for). So this leaves the one final marketed changed between per-LCI and LCI - IDrive 7.0 and the Live Cockpit. I reckon this is where they have snuck in the new mapping.

Which in theory means I could be running a 625hP car rather than 616. It's getting too complicated now...

My head hurts...
It's due to new emissions and sound regs that came in for 2020MY cars.
"The new European Union regulation, No. 540/2014, aims to reduce noise levels from the current 74 decibels to 68 decibels by 2026. It begins this year (2020 MY) and changes in steps until 2026. The regulation takes into consideration the loudest exhaust setting available for a car"
It would not have made any difference whether ID6 or 7. The car would have to be to comply with the new regs.

625ps (metric horsepower) or 616hp, which are both quoted for the F90 Comp are exactly the same thing btw makes no difference. No idea why some take power figures so seriously. Even if they were different, you would not feel the 9 difference. Just know you have A LOT of frickin horse power of every kind!!!

Last edited by Maxlude; 08-01-2021 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
DavidXJ661.50
      08-01-2021, 04:32 PM   #12
Slugsy01
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E63s AMG Estate

I'm going to ask something really stupid here so please forgive me if the answer is obvious.

I realise the issue is a EU regulation but given I'm in the UK and we are not in the EU anymore, does that regulation apply?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 01:58 AM   #13
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugsy01 View Post
I'm going to ask something really stupid here so please forgive me if the answer is obvious.

I realise the issue is a EU regulation but given I'm in the UK and we are not in the EU anymore, does that regulation apply?
It could potentially not apply to UK after Brexit, depending on what has been agreed in this area between the EU and UK.
But manufacturers will be applying the regs to most if not all countries anyway to reduce the costs of implementation.
Getting type approval for every country is an already very expensive process. If a cost can be omitted or saved, it will be.
The UK market is just not big enough to be an exception.
Appreciate 1
Slugsy01154.00
      08-02-2021, 05:11 PM   #14
Slugsy01
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E63s AMG Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxlude View Post
Quote:

It could potentially not apply to UK after Brexit, depending on what has been agreed in this area between the EU and UK.
But manufacturers will be applying the regs to most if not all countries anyway to reduce the costs of implementation.
Getting type approval for every country is an already very expensive process. If a cost can be omitted or saved, it will be.
The UK market is just not big enough to be an exception.
I hear you, I guess if it's only software, would a request to have the noise mapped back or however it can be done be okay?

Really, if it's not a full ECU tune to improve performance, but only to change how the valves open/close or whatever technical is required - I wonder whether that would void warranty, if at all possible?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 04:31 AM   #15
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I hear you, I guess if it's only software, would a request to have the noise mapped back or however it can be done be okay?

Really, if it's not a full ECU tune to improve performance, but only to change how the valves open/close or whatever technical is required - I wonder whether that would void warranty, if at all possible?
Any changes to the ECU would definitely void warranty in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 10:15 AM   #16
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxlude View Post
Any changes to the ECU would definitely void warranty in my opinion.
YEP guaranteed.
Forget more noise it just brings more attention most unwanted.