Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > Classifieds > Members Classifieds > Wheels / Tires

05-08-2024, 11:13 AM   #23
Trin7812
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F82 & E71 M

I think the real issue as to why they haven’t sold is because it’s strongly advised not to refinish forged wheels. But maybe if you can shed some light as to whether these were painted or powdercoated, as well as the weight of the wheels on a scale to show they are in fact authentic, that’ll help sell it, i’m in the market myself just don’t know how diamond black would look on AY, would have prefered the original satin black.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2024, 01:27 PM   #24
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Oxide Grey iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trin7812 View Post
I think the real issue as to why they haven’t sold is because it’s strongly advised not to refinish forged wheels. But maybe if you can shed some light as to whether these were painted or powdercoated, as well as the weight of the wheels on a scale to show they are in fact authentic, that’ll help sell it, i’m in the market myself just don’t know how diamond black would look on AY, would have prefered the original satin black.

I don’t have a weighing scale and the wheels and tires are at the tire shop.

Anyone buying these should come see and carry them for him/herself. They’re lightweight, are extremely well machined (OEM) and refinished, with OEM stamping and all. I don’t think the authenticity of the wheels is in question.

The wheels were powdercoated by a reputable wheel refinisher here in the Bay Area, and a lot of effort was taken to reproduce the OEM color and shine.

The skill and quality of the refinish is the real question, and the powdercoat vs paint debate has been discussed to death online - the real takeaway is that powder coating is more durable although less suitable for spot repairs, and tons of high end wheel makers powdercoat their wheels. The structural integrity concern is way overblown, especially if one isn’t a track rat and mainly wants to drive hard on the street/backroads. I thoroughly enjoyed driving them on the backroads and got them tested - they’re perfectly balanced and circular.

These wheels should go to someone who appreciates the stunning color and finish. I’m not in a rush to sell them, but I’m willing to give someone a good (more than fair, but not silly) deal on these top-tier wheels with PS4Ses that have a lot of life left.

I think they’d look amazing (sporty + classy) on an AY F8x, but what’s important is what you like. Hope you find the satin black FI-Rs that you want.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2024, 07:49 PM   #25
gurvir44
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trin7812 View Post
I think the real issue as to why they haven’t sold is because it’s strongly advised not to refinish forged wheels. But maybe if you can shed some light as to whether these were painted or powdercoated, as well as the weight of the wheels on a scale to show they are in fact authentic, that’ll help sell it, i’m in the market myself just don’t know how diamond black would look on AY, would have preferred the original satin black.
I am in the market for these wheels but this is the basis of me passing on these. Rennlist sells lots of these and advise on NOT to powdercoat these since they can lose up to 30% of their structural integrity. Most high end forged wheels are made out of 6061-T6 which is tempered at 350F. Powdercoating is cured at higher temps and that alters the integrity unless it was shot and cured with low temp powder. Being super light they do make a good track wheel so not suggesting to use them for that purpose kinda stinks. I dont mean to crap on your sale but unless these were at a steal price, hard to pull the trigger for me. It might help if you could get proof that PC place did these with low temp powder.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 02:48 AM   #26
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Oxide Grey iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurvir44 View Post
I am in the market for these wheels but this is the basis of me passing on these. Rennlist sells lots of these and advise on NOT to powdercoat these since they can lose up to 30% of their structural integrity. Most high end forged wheels are made out of 6061-T6 which is tempered at 350F. Powdercoating is cured at higher temps and that alters the integrity unless it was shot and cured with low temp powder. Being super light they do make a good track wheel so not suggesting to use them for that purpose kinda stinks. I dont mean to crap on your sale but unless these were at a steal price, hard to pull the trigger for me. It might help if you could get proof that PC place did these with low temp powder.
Appreciate the feedback. To clarify, I never suggested that these wheels not be used for the track. I said the structural integrity concern is overblown, especially if one isn’t a track rat. And rennlist has a ton of advice suggesting that powdercoating is completely fine as well, but I won’t try to argue my point - the literature is out there for all to read. I’ll see if I can get some proof re: the low temp powder.
Appreciate 1
csboi379.50