BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Intake Temp Gauge Install diy needed

05-05-2021, 02:11 AM   #1
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp First Edition

Garage List
Intake Temp Gauge Install diy needed

Can anyone help with an intake air temp gauge install. My only question is where would I install the hot air sensor and cold air sensor?

I am looking at adding the gauge listed below and any help would be appreciated with pics.

Thanks

GlowShift 10 Color Digital 300 F Dual Temperature Gauge Kit - for Water, Oil, Transmission Temp - Includes Electronic Sensors - 2 Multi-Color LED Displays - Tinted Lens - 2-1/16" (52mm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BG9QFGS...UTF8&psc=1
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4 GranSport
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 01:08 AM   #2
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Bump
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 10:34 AM   #3
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

All BMW S63 engine engines have four tmap sensors that meaure pressure and temps so Why not grab a elm32 wireless ob2 adapter and use an app like torque pro then customize it to read the intake temps?

If you want separate temp gauges that don't read ob2 data and have their own temp sensors then it's going challenge. For the hot side you could grab the burger racing meth injection adapters that fit in the intercoolers crossover tube and drill and tap for the sensors. For the cold side after the intercoolers, everything is plastic and I would not trust it to drill/tap and hold the sensors. Your looking at removing the intercoolers and drilling a hole large enough to hold a lipped metal bung for the sensors from the inside and jb plastic welding in place.

Or if you have the budget, this is a great time to upgrade the intercoolers to the aftermarket aluminum units that have ports already built in you can take advantage of.

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 05-07-2021 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
GTATX1105.00
      05-07-2021, 11:14 AM   #4
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
All BMW S63 engine engines have four tmap sensors that meaure pressure and temps so Why not grab a elm32 wireless ob2 adapter and use an app like torque pro then customize it to read the intake temps?

If you want separate temp gauges that don't read ob2 data and have their own temp sensors then it's going challenge. For the hot side you could grab the burger racing meth injection adapters that fit in the intercoolers crossover tube and drill and tap for the sensors. For the cold side after the intercoolers, everything is plastic and I would not trust it to drill/tap and hold the sensors. Your looking at removing the intercoolers and drilling a hole large enough to hold a lipped metal bung for the sensors from the inside and jb plastic welding in place.

Or if you have the budget, this is a great time to upgrade the intercoolers to the aftermarket aluminum units that have ports already built in you can take advantage of.
Thanks for ur detailed response. I have jb4, and veepeak Bluetooth adapter for obd readings and everything was fine until I installed my led steering wheel. Now issue is that steering wheel pulls the data from obd as well. It provides iat readings as but mainly hot reading and occasionally will display cold reading which I am more interested in. Also while steering wheel is connected jb4 or any other obd app cannot read iat data regardless of what order devices are plugged in. Steering wheel uses ohc motors data box and I even changed the software on it so it doesn't show iat data but doesn't matter the box takes preference from obd over any other device connected.

So this was the main reason for iat gauge but based on ur response I requested a return on it as this is way more complicated then I thought as I mainly just wanted cold readings.
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 0