BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    2019 M5 Comp Spotify Question for Android Phone

03-11-2021, 09:38 PM   #1
maza918
Rep
Drives: 335i X-Drive

2019 M5 Comp Spotify Question for Android Phone

Hi all. Wanted some advice / suggestions for Android users that use Spotify, on how you're playing music from your Android phones? I use Spotify Premium for my music and am looking for a way to play music w/out having to go to Bluetooth Audio and then control it (change playlists etc) through my phone. There used to be the Spotify App that would show on my iDrive but it's no longer there and I've read that Spotify is no longer supporting it. Any suggestions? Is it even an option or worthwhile to keep an old phone plugged into the car's USB with Spotify installed and Playlists/music downloaded to it? or even an iPod with the same setup? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 06:52 AM   #2
dougpaper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

love to see an answer but i have asked this numerous times. I have a samsung S20 and only can play thru bluetooth. I have tried cording thru all the usb ports and it will only show phone available thru bt. It will play my 8 year old ipod nano thru the usb, we are missing out on some sound quality. Please let me know if you learn of a way.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 07:55 AM   #3
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Maybe I'm woefully ignorant, but with my 2019 M5 I paired my phone, opened Spotify on my phone, found a playlist and tapped a song. Got music. It seemed like the menus didn't play well with iDrive, so I just ran it all thru the app.

My 2021 LCI brings everything from Spotify into iDrive. Spotify shows up in my menu along with radio, Sirius and usb. IDrive let's me scroll thru Spotify playlists. When I leave the car and come back the next day it picks up where I left off. I don't open the app, or anything. Just hit the car's on/off radio button.

I also set up android auto. Don't think it was available on the 2019. Seems a bit cumbersome. Don't use it, however I haven't really explored it yet.

But, Spotify works just fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 01:34 PM   #4
maza918
Rep

snowbimmer The Spotify Connected Drive App is no longer an option for the 2019 M5 and we do not have iDrive 7 so your current setup won't work. Yes, listening via Bluetooth and working the Spotify App on the phone is an option, but I am seeking alternative setups that will allow me to navigate Spotify Playlists etc using the iDrive system.

As mentioned I'm interested to see if others have kept an older phone connected via USB and that helps? or even an older iPod Touch. Thanks for the suggestions
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 03:40 PM   #5
e36mcab
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: e36mcab

This was the workaround for me, from the Spotify forums. It requires you sideload the app to your device.

https://github.com/hufman/AndroidAut...ases/tag/1.2.2

I have since switched to an iPhone with CarPlay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maza918 View Post
Hi all. Wanted some advice / suggestions for Android users that use Spotify, on how you're playing music from your Android phones? I use Spotify Premium for my music and am looking for a way to play music w/out having to go to Bluetooth Audio and then control it (change playlists etc) through my phone. There used to be the Spotify App that would show on my iDrive but it's no longer there and I've read that Spotify is no longer supporting it. Any suggestions? Is it even an option or worthwhile to keep an old phone plugged into the car's USB with Spotify installed and Playlists/music downloaded to it? or even an iPod with the same setup? Thanks in advance!
'95 318ti - Alpine White *Sold*
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 04:04 PM   #6
maza918
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36mcab View Post
This was the workaround for me, from the Spotify forums. It requires you sideload the app to your device.

https://github.com/hufman/AndroidAut...ases/tag/1.2.2

I have since switched to an iPhone with CarPlay.
Thanks for the info! I'll look into this and see if it helps.
Appreciate 0