BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Throttle House Quick Review - M5 CS

08-10-2021, 04:38 PM   #23
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbmwlife View Post
The truth of the matter is if the M5CS was the regular model M5, and all M models were as hard core as this one is, BMW a would sell a lot less cars. The average M buyer would complain how harsh the ride was, or that it doesn't have soft close doors, or the brakes make too much noise, or Why is there no cooled seats or massaging seats.

M is really for marketing, but you gotta understand BMW is in the business of selling cars. I applaud them for even making producing this car in the first place. They really didn't have to.
Although I think this is where the "M line" cars come in with the M5 being the M5CS and the future M5CS being even more hardcore. But this is the first CS or special edition that I have genuinely desired. They killed it here.
      08-10-2021, 05:08 PM   #24
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
The truth of the matter is if the M5CS was the regular model M5, and all M models were as hard core as this one is, BMW a would sell a lot less cars. The average M buyer would complain how harsh the ride was, or that it doesn't have soft close doors, or the brakes make too much noise, or Why is there no cooled seats or massaging seats.

M is really for marketing, but you gotta understand BMW is in the business of selling cars. I applaud them for even making producing this car in the first place. They really didn't have to.
This. I think someone earlier questioned my thoughts but I feel the same way. It is a businsss. They're in the business of selling cars not just making a few one off for us car nuts. We are many on the forums but in real life? Small sliver of their annual car sales. Soccer moms are more desirable target demographic than us pain the asses truthfully, lol.

It breaks my heart to see so many M and M variants but it was inevitable and it's not like BMW is the only manufacturer to try to appeal to a broad range of consumers. Porsche 911 comes to mind. Last time I looked, there was 26 variations of the 911 lol.
Appreciate 3
      08-10-2021, 09:35 PM   #25
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

Quote:

From a purists point of view you are wrong. They do have to make them, to keep loyalists like myself. I agree they are for the few, but the few are out there and that's what pushes M engineers to seek limits. I have all varieties of M's in my life and 7 days a week.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2021, 09:38 PM   #26
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCP View Post
Quote:

From a purists point of view you are wrong. They do have to make them, to keep loyalists like myself. I agree they are for the few, but the few are out there and that's what pushes M engineers to seek limits. I have all varieties of M's in my life and 7 days a week.
I disagree. From a purist point of view we were happy with the M2CS. The M5CS however wasn't needed but very much appreciated.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 1
Egrunt548.50
      08-10-2021, 09:41 PM   #27
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I disagree. From a purist point of view we were happy with the M2CS. The M5CS however wasn't needed but very much appreciated.
Haha had my M2CS for a year now and yeah it is the most track balanced M in a long time, but purism of M goes deeper than just that..
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2021, 09:42 PM   #28
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I also track my M5C at times when I'm just hanging out on a lapping day. Would much rather be in the M5CS for that.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2021, 09:43 PM   #29
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I also track my M5C at times when I'm just hanging out on a lapping day. Would much rather be in the M5CS for that.
Now we agree

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 1
VCP1390.00
      08-11-2021, 07:48 AM   #30
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
I have a few rides.. but the M5CS is about the best dollar for dollar car I have ever bought in my life.. 4 decades +. It does absolutely everything and more..
IMO the CS should be the "standard" for M cars. the fact that this is a limited run is absurd as they mention in the video.

that said I love my M5 comp it's the best all around M car bmw has ever made.
I'd say one of the best, not the best

Hopefully there is more juice left in BMW making a yet better M than this
      08-11-2021, 01:14 PM   #31
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 Comp BGM / Sahkir

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beammeupscottie View Post
They talk too much about nothing. I got bored very fast with this review. Reclaiming my time….ugh
To be fair, this isn't how they normally review cars. You might possibly feel differently with their normal channel. This was essentially an in-depth add on to their original review of the CS because there was a vast amount more they wanted to get into. Not everything is for everyone but generally speaking, I feel that they are actually unbiased and they play off each other nicely. I find them to be entertaining and decently accurate about a lot of the vehicles.
I hear you. I'm not going to go searching them out but I'll gladly watch their next review when a fellow member of this forum posts it! Thanks for your feedback!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 02:08 PM   #32
ShawnM5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

The CS looks like an awesome car from those videos.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 04:10 PM   #33
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Can i ask what you are comparing the CS too ?, or what you have in the stable ?, im not disputing your statement by the way
My best driving car in my opinion is a Ferrari Pista .. the rest are all awesome but that one stands out as the benchmark. I would like to also compare it to my GTC4Lusso which is amazing but just does not have the same storage or back space as the M5CS so its hard to do an apples to apples. So yeah dollar for dollars I still think the M5CS is very special and somehow they magically tuned this ZF to feel and act like a DCT which is amazing and hard to do. BMW Ceramics are also incredible, great feel and stopping power just like the M2CS I have.. their braking system is incredible.

Last edited by uhn2000; 08-11-2021 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 3
Ex_Stig2562.50
Simon H874.50
      08-11-2021, 07:05 PM   #34
Fantastic 5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp.

They tried too hard to make it different than the M5C. It's a fail in my book. Maybe I just don't get it…but it's just ugly….green and gold exterior….black and red interior….just awful….

Less refined, slightly faster, less equipped, slightly better steering, less practical, less comfortable ….but it's still a rather big sedan. Don't get it. It is less of a daily driver but will never be a track star. So they are charging more to give you a car that does less of its natural strength as a big sedan and more of what it will never be…a track ready weapon.

Lastly, it's journalistic negligence that no one has done a head to head with a M5C. You know why….it's because it is that close. BMW doesn't want that.
Appreciate 2
Egrunt548.50
      08-11-2021, 07:35 PM   #35
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantastic 5 View Post
They tried too hard to make it different than the M5C. It's a fail in my book. Maybe I just don't get it…but it's just ugly….green and gold exterior….black and red interior….just awful….

Less refined, slightly faster, less equipped, slightly better steering, less practical, less comfortable ….but it's still a rather big sedan. Don't get it. It is less of a daily driver but will never be a track star. So they are charging more to give you a car that does less of its natural strength as a big sedan and more of what it will never be…a track ready weapon.

Lastly, it's journalistic negligence that no one has done a head to head with a M5C. You know why….it's because it is that close. BMW doesn't want that.
Low production cars aren't supposed to be understood by everyone. Personally, I'm glad that some people don't like it or question it.

Personally, this is the perfect blend of my outgoing M3CS and a new M5. For me, it checks every box.

Honestly, I wish there weren't so many levels of "M5". I wish that this version was the M5 and customer who found it "to harsh", "missing creature comforts" or "insert other critique here" could be told to just go buy a M550 if those things are so important to them.

Instead, BMW has given customers a choice. No need to trash a car just because it doesn't fit your predetermined idea of the ideal M5 for everyone.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 4
      08-11-2021, 07:48 PM   #36
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5 CS

Quote:

No head to head yet but several have said it’s a different level altogether to the regular M5…..maybe it’s not that close and maybe you don’t want to hear it.

Alternate realities maybe as long as you are happy in yours….

I will reserve my judgment till after I drive mine.

Last edited by malrash; 08-11-2021 at 08:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
BarryB864.50
      08-11-2021, 11:41 PM   #37
bimmerbeast7
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5C - '04 m3 manual coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by manni22gp View Post
"Enthusiasts that helped put them on the map".
That's an unusual statement to make. There is no such thing as that - no one did charity by purchasing something they didn't like in order to support an ideology. A product with certain characteristics found willing buyers. The company emulated the dna that made the product attractive and released variations of the product. This continued pattern when repeated over an amount of time led to a successful brand.
i think youre overthinking it. bmw got on the map the same way a girl gets anything she wants: look good
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 12:05 AM   #38
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:

Quote:

I'd normal agree but this one is far different from the usual shams they put out. This isn't just slightly faster less practical, it's far more than that. The official time around Nurburgring was 7:29, the unofficial time is closer to 7:15. M5C did it in 7:35. 6 seconds lap difference on a track - you're not even seeing the taillights in the distance. This is a track ready weapon and that's what they sought out to design. It's why there's less creature comforts for weight savings but this car is far more than did a keto diet and added a few horses. Does it make sense? No, not really but you cannot help but be impressed with what they put out.

I don't blame you for feeling this way - I mean, it's not like bmw hasn't pulled the wool over our eyes before but this car is something else. Performance wise.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 01:36 PM   #39
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS / iX 50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by malrash View Post
No head to head yet but several have said it’s a different level altogether to the regular M5…..maybe it’s not that close and maybe you don’t want to hear it.

Alternate realities maybe as long as you are happy in yours….

I will reserve my judgment till after I drive mine.
The video is in Russian, but bmwblog translated and wrote about it

https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/06/28/b...-hops-on-dyno/

They took both an M5 CS and a regular M5 to the dyno to see how they stack up against each other. The end result is actually surprising, considering the recent trends. The BMW M5 made almost 610 PS at the crank, with 490 of them reaching the wheels and 785 Nm of torque. That’s a bit more power than advertised (600 PS) but it’s quite curious how little of that apparently made it to the wheels. Then there was the M5 CS, which reportedly made 618.5 PS and 814 Nm of torque, with 510 PS reaching the wheels. Yet, once again, surprising, as the claimed power figure is higher than the result recorded here.

It’s quite odd to see that little power transferred to the wheels as well as the M5 CS performing under the claims made by the company. The guys also put the M5 CS on a scale to see how it stacks up to the claims that it is lighter than the standard M5 and they found the CS version to go all the way up to 1,831 kilos, which is right around the official number of 1,825. (299 LBS!!)
Part-time with Next Level Auto Brokers, LLC https://www.instagram.com/nextlevelautobrokers/
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2021, 04:52 AM   #40
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
My best driving car in my opinion is a Ferrari Pista .. the rest are all awesome but that one stands out as the benchmark. I would like to also compare it to my GTC4Lusso which is amazing but just does not have the same storage or back space as the M5CS so its hard to do an apples to apples. So yeah dollar for dollars I still think the M5CS is very special and somehow they magically tuned this ZF to feel and act like a DCT which is amazing and hard to do. BMW Ceramics are also incredible, great feel and stopping power just like the M2CS I have.. their braking system is incredible.
Thanks for reply. I agree on the CCBs, i have them on my Competition, and its the first time for me, of owning CCBs, they have spoiled me now, how could i have another car without them, they are tremendous.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 06:39 AM   #41
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Although I think this is where the "M line" cars come in with the M5 being the M5CS and the future M5CS being even more hardcore. But this is the first CS or special edition that I have genuinely desired. They killed it here.

I dont know why people keep referring to the CS as "hardcore"

All they did was remove 200lbs, remove center console, and threw in4 bucket seats.

The car is going to ride similarly to a comp car..

These are not track machines. You want a track machine sit in a 600LT. While at a light the entire car is shaking because it weighs nothing. That is "hardcore"
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 12:49 AM   #42
manni22gp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: The ultimate driving machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbeast7 View Post
i think youre overthinking it. bmw got on the map the same way a girl gets anything she wants: look good
Absolutely not - driving dynamics.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 08:22 AM   #43
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbtx View Post
Who was throwing shade? I remember people were hesitant on the sports seats, but that's about it. Maybe non F90 owners were throwing shade but we weren't. Its an awesome machine!
I guess I can't recall them all.

"No better than a competition"
"Stupid marketing trick"
"Way overpriced and overhyped"

Just my recollection. All my senses told me it wasn't any of the above.

Mine has been stuck in quality check for a while. Can't wait.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 09:00 AM   #44
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbtx View Post
Who was throwing shade? I remember people were hesitant on the sports seats, but that's about it. Maybe non F90 owners were throwing shade but we weren't. Its an awesome machine!
I guess I can't recall them all.

"No better than a competition"
"Stupid marketing trick"
"Way overpriced and overhyped"

Just my recollection. All my senses told me it wasn't any of the above.

Mine has been stuck in quality check for a while. Can't wait.

Shawn
You forgot…

"Uncomfortable seats"
"Not enough extra power/less weight to matter"
"Missing quality of life options"
"Gold trim looks bad"

The list goes on and on, but most of the people who bash on the car have one thing in common. The are all primarily F90 drivers.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0