BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Buying Used M5 - What’s more important?

08-07-2021, 06:13 PM   #1
VinnyS
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Buying Used M5 - What’s more important?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey Everyone,

I’m about to purchase my first M car either 2018/2019 M5. Used market in Canada is hot but not a ton of M5s. I’ve narrowed down the options I want and more specifically the colour of the car which I’m opened to a few of them.

One thing that has been bugging me is, it’s always been a battle between finding a used car with everything you want so a compromise will be required. Either the car has my interior and lacks the options, or doesn’t have the interior but has all the options.

Personally, spending that amount of money, I would prefer trying to get as close as possible to what I want. I know everyone’s different and has different priorities - would you guys choose as a priority - interior or options?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 06:52 PM   #2
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyS View Post
Hey Everyone,

I’m about to purchase my first M car either 2018/2019 M5. Used market in Canada is hot but not a ton of M5s. I’ve narrowed down the options I want and more specifically the colour of the car which I’m opened to a few of them.

One thing that has been bugging me is, it’s always been a battle between finding a used car with everything you want so a compromise will be required. Either the car has my interior and lacks the options, or doesn’t have the interior but has all the options.

Personally, spending that amount of money, I would prefer trying to get as close as possible to what I want. I know everyone’s different and has different priorities - would you guys choose as a priority - interior or options?

Cheers
I would go for all the driving options first, color and then interior. All BMW M interiors IMHO are top notch. I don't care much about semi aniline leather etc. just me…
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 07:00 PM   #3
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Hey Everyone,

Cheers
If you aren't in a hurry, I would wait until you get what you want. You're spending this much coin on a purchase - wouldn't you want to get everything you want?

If it's a lease. Fuck it, if it's missing a non-dealbreaker. But your presumably purchasing a cpo car from the sounds of it.

You waited this long. What's a little bit more?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 07:12 PM   #4
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I wanted black interior since I keep cars a long time and black wears best with use and age. I wanted a nondescript color like black, silver or Gray. The options did not matter much — even a car with no options has everything I need. And I wanted 25k miles or less and a price around $80k USD. There were lots to choose from in the US but some were far away. After a couple of months of looking one popped up that was 60 miles away. It had more options than I wanted, like sunroof, executive, driver assistance, b&w stereo but it was a CPO priced at $80k so I bought it. That was a few months ago. Already added 4K miles.

It’s not my dream car but it’s a good, practical, comfortable, fast car with a little bit of sportiness. Good for a daily driver, winter beater, and it has a big trunk and fold down seats so it can haul stuff when needed.

A perfect complement would be a 991.2 Turbo, which I was originally shipping for, but I decided to buy the practical car first. I had been driving an E90 M3 for the past 10 years but wanted something bigger and more comfortable and faster and with AWD. I also have a turbo E36 M3 that is stupid fast but it has become more of a toy. The 991.2 Turbo will have to wait a couple of years plus used ones went up about 20% in price this year.

Last edited by pbonsalb; 08-07-2021 at 10:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 07:27 PM   #5
Mdef
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Tough call deciding, but I think options, interior, and add some more exterior color options.

Mine was delivered today. I wasn't looking for Singapore, but it had the interior color and the options I wanted. I hadn't seen SG in person, but I like it a lot now that I have it.

Good luck with your search.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 07:31 PM   #6
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdef View Post
Tough call deciding, but I think options, interior, and add some more exterior color options.

Mine was delivered today. I wasn't looking for Singapore, but it had the interior color and the options I wanted. I hadn't seen SG in person, but I like it a lot now that I have it.

Good luck with your search.
That's a sexy color though. You definitely got lucky if you did sight unseen and got a nice color.

Congrats on the new addition though!
Appreciate 1
Mdef54.00
      08-07-2021, 09:54 PM   #7
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

VinnyS

Have you considered the M3 or M4. If a new M5 is out of your budget one of these cars new may be a better option.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2021, 01:48 AM   #8
M5 F90 (2018)
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

If you can find one with carbon ceramic brakes, B&W stereo and at least one of the packs with stop and go you will be doing ok. TVs in the back are great if you have kids. I would always choose colour first with the leather you want. The cars come very well stacked as standard, but take your time. It took me around 6 months before i found the one i jumped on that had everything i wanted in the colour i wanted. Good luck!!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 08:38 AM   #9
SGMM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5, 2001 Lexus IS300

My biggest wish is that I'd gotten carbon ceramics. The brake dust alone is reason enough lol.
Appreciate 2
Egrunt551.50
DHDCF286.50
      08-08-2021, 08:59 AM   #10
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5, 2022 911 Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMM5 View Post
My biggest wish is that I'd gotten carbon ceramics. The brake dust alone is reason enough lol.
I agree completely with this statement. The CCBs on my M5 are awesome, and the lack of brake dust makes ownership so much more enjoyable.
Appreciate 1
DHDCF286.50
      08-08-2021, 11:14 AM   #11
AngryInch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

Good luck finding a used vehicle with everything you want in it. Even finding a new with the complete list will be challenging if not impossible... There is only 1 M5 left in Western Canada right now and its more of a base model at $125k sticker.

Probably better off doing a factory order to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 01:21 PM   #12
m4h2o
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

To me exterior color trumps everything else.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 04:32 PM   #13
VinnyS
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
VinnyS

Have you considered the M3 or M4. If a new M5 is out of your budget one of these cars new may be a better option.
I actually entertained the idea. One, the M5 seems to be more of a daily driver for me with a nice mix between sport and comfort. I also live in Canada. Although we get less snow than we used to, when it snows, I need something all-wheel drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 04:38 PM   #14
VinnyS
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryInch View Post
Good luck finding a used vehicle with everything you want in it. Even finding a new with the complete list will be challenging if not impossible... There is only 1 M5 left in Western Canada right now and its more of a base model at $125k sticker.

Probably better off doing a factory order to be honest.
Sadly, doing a factory order for me doesn’t make sense.

I hear y’a though about not finding the unicorn though. Like I said above, a comprise is almost always required when shopping for a CPO but I have seen a few come by with everything I wanted but they get sold so fast that I can’t even get an apt fast enough.

But like many have said, waiting and compromising on the smaller things will make up for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 04:41 PM   #15
VinnyS
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Thanks everyone. I think everyone managed to bring up some great points. I’m gonna continue looking and already gave my name to a bunch of ADs to put me on their list for any new arrivals.

Also, Canada might be passing a bill to charge an 10% tax on Luxury vehicles above 100K starting Jan 2022 :S
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 04:45 PM   #16
VinnyS
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Barber View Post
I agree completely with this statement. The CCBs on my M5 are awesome, and the lack of brake dust makes ownership so much more enjoyable.
SGMM5 And Demon Barber - Have you guys done a break job yet. I’ve heard it’s a real huge cost for ceramics. I also heard of the pros but I won’t be tracking the car as much as I used to. I’m hearing in the 10K range?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 05:00 PM   #17
VinnyS
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Barber View Post
SGMM5 And Demon Barber - Have you guys done a break job yet. I’ve heard it’s a real huge cost for ceramics. I also heard of the pros but I won’t be tracking the car as much as I used to. I’m hearing in the 10K range?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 06:50 PM   #18
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

I just went through this process and waited until I found the (almost) unicorn car and paid a little more than I wanted to but it was what I wanted. My searches were all based on the exterior color first (Marina Bay Blue) and then interior color (Aragon Brown Full but really loved Tartufo even though it is fairly rare). Almost all of the cars have the Executive Package and most have Driving Assistance Plus and I wanted both of those. I wanted a sunroof and preferred CCB's but those were not a deal breaker. I ended up finding the MBB/Tartufo with everything but the CCB's and I have been loving it for the past 3 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 06:54 PM   #19
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post

It’s not my dream car but it’s a good, practical, comfortable, fast car with a little bit of sportiness. Good for a daily driver, winter beater, and it has a big trunk and fold down seats so it can haul stuff when needed.
I'm hurt. I think. "Little Bit of sportiness?" Winter Worthy, not a beater.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 08:19 PM   #20
VinnyS
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneM3 View Post
I just went through this process and waited until I found the (almost) unicorn car and paid a little more than I wanted to but it was what I wanted. My searches were all based on the exterior color first (Marina Bay Blue) and then interior color (Aragon Brown Full but really loved Tartufo even though it is fairly rare). Almost all of the cars have the Executive Package and most have Driving Assistance Plus and I wanted both of those. I wanted a sunroof and preferred CCB's but those were not a deal breaker. I ended up finding the MBB/Tartufo with everything but the CCB's and I have been loving it for the past 3 weeks.
Firstly, Congrats on your purchase, and a second congrats on finding such a beauty. Tartufo is indeed a magnificent color (IMO). It’s sounds exactly what I would pick up for sure!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 09:09 PM   #21
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep

Quote:
No brake job yet at 26k miles, pads and rotors still look new, but I don't track it. I may regret my decision at some point when the rotor replacement cost is astronomical, but I'm hoping the rotors will last 100k miles with street driving. It seems to be a bit counterintuitive in a sense, that if you want to track a car and not waste tons of money, buy steels. If you want to track and money is no object, ceramics are king of performance but will still wear out and be insanely expensive to replace as a wear and tear item. However, if you're like me and 99+% of M5 drivers who don't track, the ceramics are crazy durable for street driving and produce nearly zero dust. Just pray you don't crack one from a pebble or somebody who's changing your tires drops the rim on them like it's a steel rotor.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 09:16 PM   #22
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep

Also tartufo is what I have always wanted, but it wasn't available at the exact time I ordered my M5 back in 2018. Best looking leather out there, and still regret not having it.
Appreciate 0