BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Regional Forums USA - Southwest    Tint question for TX folks

06-12-2022, 03:30 PM   #1
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M5C

Tint question for TX folks

I posted this over in the cosmetic mods forum but got no traction, so posting it here hoping for some responses.

My dealer tinted my windows before I took delivery, but I've decided I want to go darker all around. Legal limit is 35% on the front windows last I checked here in TX. For those who have gone darker than 35% on your fronts, have you had any problems passing your annual inspection? I'd like to do 20% all around.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 04:49 PM   #2
Jakerx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp

It all depends on where you go. In the past, the places I’ve been could care less about tint. Certain stations will use the light gun and fail you though.
Appreciate 1
omgmike359.00
      06-12-2022, 08:12 PM   #3
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Annual inspection is not the problem. I just have the dealer do the inspection when I'm in for service and they don't care. DPS troopers have pulled me over before in a previous car. It's those you have to worry about. Local police typically don't care about that or plates. DPS troopers do.

Plus, I know a place in Lakeway that doesn't care either. PM me if you need a recommendation for tint or inspection.

And BTW, BMW of South Austin tinted mine, against my wishes, and I had someone remove it all and go darker. Dude was awesome and didn't cause any damage. Let me know if you want his number.
Appreciate 1
omgmike359.00
      06-15-2022, 05:22 PM   #4
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbmb View Post
Annual inspection is not the problem. I just have the dealer do the inspection when I'm in for service and they don't care. DPS troopers have pulled me over before in a previous car. It's those you have to worry about. Local police typically don't care about that or plates. DPS troopers do.

Plus, I know a place in Lakeway that doesn't care either. PM me if you need a recommendation for tint or inspection.

And BTW, BMW of South Austin tinted mine, against my wishes, and I had someone remove it all and go darker. Dude was awesome and didn't cause any damage. Let me know if you want his number.
Yeah, they did the same to mine. And they charged me $699 for it instead of the $499 they claimed it would be. I was okay with them tinting it but I told them I wanted to choose the level of tint and they ignored my request. Disappointing given that otherwise I had an excellent experience buying from them. That said, I'm grateful I have some tint right now, even if it isn't what I would have chosen.

I'd planned on using Sun Busters in Lakeway whenever I can actually get a moment to leave my car with them for a day. They quoted me $179 for removal.

Thanks for the 411 about the DPS troopers. Good news is Abbott has them so busy at the border that I rarely see one on the roads anymore. In fact, just drove down to Port Aransas on Monday for a short vacation with the fam, and didn't see a single trooper the entire way. Really weird not seeing any troopers on 37 at any point.
Appreciate 0