BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    Day traders: How much do you have in the stock market?

View Poll Results: For Day Traders - How much do you have in the stock market?
<$10k 10 33.33%
$10-25k 2 6.67%
$25-50k 4 13.33%
$50-75k 3 10.00%
$75-100k 1 3.33%
$100-200k 1 3.33%
$200k+ 9 30.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

02-19-2021, 11:13 AM   #23
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I started last month in Bitcoin after being skeptical for years. Again, started small and threw in what I could afford to lose then tripled my investment after seeing a 10% return in a week. Tesla invested in Bitcoin then it jumped to $50k and now it's at $55k. Up 22% overall. I try and include one security a day that is somehow tied to Bitcoin or crypto. For example MYT announced an expansion into crypto mining and saw a jump this week. My timing was really bad on that one and I sold before the second spike so I'm really kicking myself. AABB was another one that spiked 300% after they announced gold backed Bitcoin. I was late to that one! The ones you miss are the ones you remember the most I guess.
Im too stubborn to buy it cause its morally reprehensible to me, though i know many that have become very successful due to bitcoin. Its one of two things i know i could have become rich with but im ok with it and Ill leave it at that.

But im looking at other small crypto plays now and may pull the trigger small scale, i just know in my heart its worthless and that i have to try to accept
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 11:25 AM   #24
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
Quote:
I started last month in Bitcoin after being skeptical for years. Again, started small and threw in what I could afford to lose then tripled my investment after seeing a 10% return in a week. Tesla invested in Bitcoin then it jumped to $50k and now it's at $55k. Up 22% overall. I try and include one security a day that is somehow tied to Bitcoin or crypto. For example MYT announced an expansion into crypto mining and saw a jump this week. My timing was really bad on that one and I sold before the second spike so I'm really kicking myself. AABB was another one that spiked 300% after they announced gold backed Bitcoin. I was late to that one! The ones you miss are the ones you remember the most I guess.
Im too stubborn to buy it cause its morally reprehensible to me, though i know many that have become very successful due to bitcoin. Its one of two things i know i could have become rich with but im ok with it and Ill leave it at that.

But im looking at other small crypto plays now and may pull the trigger small scale, i just know in my heart its worthless and that i have to try to accept
That's exactly why I hesitated for years. As soon as Musk started tweeting about Bitcoin and added #bitcoin to his Twitter profile I knew the game was on. I've been burned by doubting Elon twice. Sold my early position on TSLA because of his erratic behavior and lost a potential tens of thousands end of 2019 when I sold all my TSLA and bought DIS.

I still made out on that sale, but it went bananas soon after and I wasn't on the boat for that. I've bought back in after it became viable again after the split and have seen a 99% return as of today. Still.. that stung a bit when my friend made over $100k in one day because of TSLA. My DIS is still up, but I was betting on Disney+ being the next NFLX with the announcement of all that IP coming out in 2020. Unfortunately the pandemic ruined my DIS prospects. Still, it's up 32% so I can't really complain too much.

Back to the subject: I don't trust Bitcoin and I don't really understand it other than the blockchain technology. Regardless, the ride is going to be fun so why not?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 11:38 AM   #25
stevenopoly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 350z

Quote:
iUnfortunately the pandemic ruined my DIS prospects. Still, it's up 32% so I can't really complain too much.
the pandemic ruined your DIS prospects? impossible! DIS has never been higher pre pandemic. Its at all time highs at the moment even with the parks closed.

for those that are scared of investing in bitcoin, you just don't completely understand it. Look at how insane the fed is. We're riding on the collapse of the dollar. I have a chunk in bitcoin and will continue to ride it around fall this year.

good luck to all.
Appreciate 1
jmg18709.50
      02-19-2021, 11:51 AM   #26
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenopoly View Post
the pandemic ruined your DIS prospects? impossible! DIS has never been higher pre pandemic. Its at all time highs at the moment even with the parks closed.

for those that are scared of investing in bitcoin, you just don't completely understand it. Look at how insane the fed is. We're riding on the collapse of the dollar. I have a chunk in bitcoin and will continue to ride it around fall this year.

good luck to all.

I was being somewhat facetious! My "short" game was a surge in 2020 because of all the Star Wars and Marvel shows coming to Disney+, which is still there hence my 32% return, but imagine if the parks and theatrical revenue hadn't disappeared?! I would say a 50% return wouldn't have been too far fetched after all the tie-ins and development of the Marvel area in DCA. DCA has always been somewhat of a letdown, and I think it would rival the main park if they attached Marvel to it. Regardless, I know DIS is a steady long term safe bet, I just thought 2020 was going to be a much more stellar year than it was. Again can't complain, it's doing very well all things considering!

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 12:29 PM   #27
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
That's exactly why I hesitated for years. As soon as Musk started tweeting about Bitcoin and added #bitcoin to his Twitter profile I knew the game was on. I've been burned by doubting Elon twice. Sold my early position on TSLA because of his erratic behavior and lost a potential tens of thousands end of 2019 when I sold all my TSLA and bought DIS.

I still made out on that sale, but it went bananas soon after and I wasn't on the boat for that. I've bought back in after it became viable again after the split and have seen a 99% return as of today. Still.. that stung a bit when my friend made over $100k in one day because of TSLA. My DIS is still up, but I was betting on Disney+ being the next NFLX with the announcement of all that IP coming out in 2020. Unfortunately the pandemic ruined my DIS prospects. Still, it's up 32% so I can't really complain too much.

Back to the subject: I don't trust Bitcoin and I don't really understand it other than the blockchain technology. Regardless, the ride is going to be fun so why not?

It has been a fun year+
Im fortunate to have navigated successfully though i can fall into the chasing value and waiting as well, i was talked out of tsla on the big dip last year and instead put the cash in a financial that went crap, so what should have been +60 became -2 net, but that was only a timing loss trade as i got back in before the split so did OK considering and still way ahead.

As for BC, i understand it fully as well as the tech in particular which is why i dont accept the valuation, so what to do is the question...
Im more likely to just increase positions in appl and amzn and be OK with the delta long term while dabbiling in some small crypto plays to hedge...
Appreciate 1
jmg18709.50
      02-19-2021, 02:05 PM   #28
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

used to be all into it but it gets very stressful constantly opening apps to check stock prices and stuff. Reading about the latest news then speculating. I have friends who are deep into it. One day they might make 30k, another day they might lose 20k or 40k. So its a bit of an emotional rollercoaster ride, which i dont think is healthy. You really have to have the personality type where you dont dwell on past mistakes and 'what ifs'.

I mostly just invest in amazon, google, and vanguard/ARK ETFs now. just set it and forget it. no stress. and it makes more money than just leaving it in the savings account.

here is a fun website for you guys: http://stockchoker.com/
Tells you how much you could have potentially made with investments

i had 3500 in tesla in 2014, sold it for 6600 in 2018 when it was dipping... would be worth 70k now lmao

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
jmg18709.50
      02-19-2021, 06:19 PM   #29
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
used to be all into it but it gets very stressful constantly opening apps to check stock prices and stuff. Reading about the latest news then speculating. I have friends who are deep into it. One day they might make 30k, another day they might lose 20k or 40k. So its a bit of an emotional rollercoaster ride, which i dont think is healthy. You really have to have the personality type where you dont dwell on past mistakes and 'what ifs'.

I mostly just invest in amazon, google, and vanguard/ARK ETFs now. just set it and forget it. no stress. and it makes more money than just leaving it in the savings account.

here is a fun website for you guys: http://stockchoker.com/
Tells you how much you could have potentially made with investments

i had 3500 in tesla in 2014, sold it for 6600 in 2018 when it was dipping... would be worth 70k now lmao
I'm nowhere near $30k a day! I have my set it and forget it investments (AAPL, NFLX etc) and my long term lithiums. I did a quick in and out on a cheap stock and got hooked. I was the same with Tesla, but I can't bring myself to do the actual math. I find myself late into the night speculating then 45 min before close I'm hopping all around watching the last hour rallies.

Appreciate 1
Humdizzle6070.50