BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery    Should I wait for the Bowers & Wilkins?

04-24-2022, 02:32 AM   #45
TFBravo
Some Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 GX460, 2022 M5C

Garage List
Majority of the time premium sound systems are a big gimmick. SavageGeese are car journalist that do extensive reviews and break downs of new cars. They do a pretty good review segment of audio system in each car they review, I don't remember what it was for M5, other then they were disappointed with the car, actually like E63S more compared to the M5 and RS6. Point is a lot of times premium systems sound like crap and in rare cases non premium system sounds better.

I'd be skeptical until I hear it myself if its that much better to be a 3k system. The only time in my limited experience I've noticed a difference is when you get a named system over a generic no name system, B & O, Burmester, Mark Levingston all sound really good, even JBL. In BMW and AMG case your standard system is a named system and premium is also named just with more speakers and fancy lights or speakers that twist out of A pillars. BW is the standad system for Volvo in their higher trim models
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 02:53 PM   #46
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFBravo View Post
Majority of the time premium sound systems are a big gimmick. SavageGeese are car journalist that do extensive reviews and break downs of new cars. They do a pretty good review segment of audio system in each car they review, I don't remember what it was for M5, other then they were disappointed with the car, actually like E63S more compared to the M5 and RS6. Point is a lot of times premium systems sound like crap and in rare cases non premium system sounds better.

I'd be skeptical until I hear it myself if its that much better to be a 3k system. The only time in my limited experience I've noticed a difference is when you get a named system over a generic no name system, B & O, Burmester, Mark Levingston all sound really good, even JBL. In BMW and AMG case your standard system is a named system and premium is also named just with more speakers and fancy lights or speakers that twist out of A pillars. BW is the standad system for Volvo in their higher trim models
I've been in cars with both the Harmon Kardon and bw and I'll say the bw is a bit clearer on mid and top end and bass is around the same, if not the Harmon was a bit better. Not a huge difference but enough for me to want the bw. Honestly every car has a named system to some degree for example in the e90s when bmw was offering logic 7 or Harmon Kardon audio but both were supplied by Harmon if I'm not mistaken how Livingston is technically Harmon too lol
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 02:34 PM   #47
sevenn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
I've been in cars with both the Harmon Kardon and bw and I'll say the bw is a bit clearer on mid and top end and bass is around the same, if not the Harmon was a bit better. Not a huge difference but enough for me to want the bw. Honestly every car has a named system to some degree for example in the e90s when bmw was offering logic 7 or Harmon Kardon audio but both were supplied by Harmon if I'm not mistaken how Livingston is technically Harmon too lol
Yep i see you love Bowers better, because it is Harman not Harmon. Sorry
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 04:10 PM   #48
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenn View Post
Potato "potato" lol but yeah my auto correct was also fighting me the whole time but indeed I didn't know how to spell it lol sounds close enough🤣🤣🤣 it's like the mercedes bur something I know how to pronounce it don't ask me how to spell it
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 04:18 PM   #49
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenn View Post
Potato "potato" lol but yeah my auto correct was also fighting me the whole time but indeed I didn't know how to spell it lol sounds close enough🤣🤣🤣 it's like the mercedes bur something I know how to pronounce it don't ask me how to spell it
Had the "Burmester" audio in an AMG for 2.5 years and only found I was pronouncing it wrong the whole time when I traded it recently. Was telling the SA that the car was specced with it like 5 times and he couldn't figure out what I was talking about, but was too nice to say anything. Once the deal was done and I butchered the name one last time, he goes, "Ohhhhh you meant the sound system."

Seems like I could spell, but not pronounce. Between the two of us, we probably could have gotten the job done.
      04-25-2022, 09:04 PM   #50
Hammer110!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 F90M5C, 22 X7M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by windtendo View Post
Mark my words, the next generation M5 won't come out until 2025. BMW has a track record of the M5 lagging a year behind the regular 5 series model. If you get a 2023 M5 delivered later this year, you could drive it for 2 full years before the new M5 is even out.
☝️ Exactly the reason I swap leased a 22 M5C because I didn’t want to wait 3 years with my current F10. Physically it won’t be delivered until early 2025
Appreciate 1
sevenn64.00
      04-25-2022, 09:07 PM   #51
Hammer110!
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
You guys realize last date of production for the M5 is like June of 2023. By the time you get your car delivered, the car is going to be an old model in less than a year and you are still paying new car pricing. That's why the LCI wasn't an option for me when my 19 M5 lease ended in December.....

Especially with pricing where it is now...I could never pay new car pricing for what will be an old model.
New 5 series iteration available for order this year. M cars won’t be out for order until 2024 Model hence 2025 delivery
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 02:45 PM   #52
Hammer110!
Private First Class
Rep

Gotta say having both systems tuned (albeit B&W is in X7 M50i) I’ve been driving both cars last couple of days with the same source material (tidal master quality) the systems are night and day. The B&W soundstage is exceptional and I don’t personally find a lacking of low end with the system. Makes me a little disappointed in the H&K in the LCI but I’ve got the MPE to listen too when the H&K disappoints lol
Appreciate 0