BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Front mount intake cabin sound

04-08-2024, 06:56 AM   #1
NCRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5C

Front mount intake cabin sound

I love the sound clips from the outside, but curious to hear from folks about how they compare to engine mounted inside cabin?
Debating myself between RK Tunes, MSR front mount / Eventuri, MAD engine mount.

Currently running MPE, secondary DPs, Dinan Inlets, BMC drop in filter.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2024, 09:44 PM   #2
Mr Loco M5
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw F90 M5

You still hear it and it sounds amazing.

RK front mount intakes, MAD catless primary and secondary, MAD valved exhaust. That’s my current setup and I couldn’t be happier.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 07:02 AM   #3
NCRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5C

Thanks! I think I’m really leaning towards a front mount. I would love to make it work with my Dinan inlets so doing some research on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 09:31 AM   #4
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp LCI

In my opinion I don’t think aftermarket open filters are good for the turbos and engine longevity especially if they are mounted inside the grill exposed to the outher elements.
The ones that installs inside the stock airboxes dont filtrate as good as the stock ones either.
But i would not be that concerned if you don’t drive the car alot and just use it more like a enthusiasts car.

Sure they sound more but performance wise i read that they don’t make any difference atleast at moderate power increases.
The stock airboxes and filters are good filtration and power wise.

Just a thing to think about but everone are free to modify their car as they want.
Appreciate 1
GranitM5366.00
      04-16-2024, 11:10 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holset View Post
In my opinion I don’t think aftermarket open filters are good for the turbos and engine longevity especially if they are mounted inside the grill exposed to the outher elements.
The ones that installs inside the stock airboxes dont filtrate as good as the stock ones either.
But i would not be that concerned if you don’t drive the car alot and just use it more like a enthusiasts car.

I have not seen any evidence to support your claim, do you have any data you can share comparing the two?

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 11:22 AM   #6
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I have not seen any evidence to support your claim, do you have any data you can share comparing the two?
I have seen friends cars that has been driven quite alot with aftermarket open filters and some had dirt and dust inside the intake and the compressor wheel of the turbo looked thats it been blasted with dirt and looked worned and pitted.
I can only imagine what that does to insides of the engine.

Of course it can play a big role how often you clean and oil the filters but they are generally more open in their design that simply let in more dirt.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 04:05 PM   #7
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep

I appreciate that companys makes aftermarket intakes and other stuff for our cars.

But the truth is performance/power wise the stock intakes are very good on our cars.
For example Dme tuning in the Uk have a F90 M5 with stock intakes running 3,7 sec 100-200km/h thats like a low 4 sec 60-130mph that takes some pretty serious power to do so.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 12:32 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
I appreciate that companys makes aftermarket intakes and other stuff for our cars.

But the truth is performance/power wise the stock intakes are very good on our cars.
For example Dme tuning in the Uk have a F90 M5 with stock intakes running 3,7 sec 100-200km/h thats like a low 4 sec 60-130mph that takes some pretty serious power to do so.
I don't think anyone has claimed that stock intakes are poorly designed, but aftermarket intakes improve the airflow and, depending on your setup, will add some power.

With that said, regardless of your setup, the power is still minimal; that's why we never consider the intake upgrade as a mandatory upgrade for power.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 05:36 PM   #9
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:

Most parts are made for their intended use case with a little extra wiggle room on top. Designing a part that can handle up to 1000 is likely not to be as efficient if its only going to be used for 600 hp. You also have emissions stuff added in there yadda yadda.

Guess the real question is would it get a better time from adding intakes? Stock intakes flow every well but could they flow better? Yes of course.

Last edited by Info@mad-us.com; 04-26-2024 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 05:49 PM   #10
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Dinan may be that the only company selling intakes that has actually done flow testing. Their results are available for anyone to see. Probably some of the aftermarket intakes also improve flow, and as Dinan explains, improved flow increases efficiency and that can translate to more power. https://www.dinancars.com/products/i...arts/D760-0049

You can also just add octane and increase boost. At done point the stock parts will become less efficient but you can still make more power.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 02:18 AM   #11
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I don't think anyone has claimed that stock intakes are poorly designed, but aftermarket intakes improve the airflow and, depending on your setup, will add some power.

With that said, regardless of your setup, the power is still minimal; that's why we never consider the intake upgrade as a mandatory upgrade for power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
Most parts are made for their intended use case with a little extra wiggle room on top. Designing a part that can handle up to 1000 is likely not to be as efficient if its only going to be used for 600 hp. You also have emissions stuff added in there yadda yadda.

Guess the real question is would it get a better time from adding intakes? Stock intakes flow every well but could they flow better? Yes of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Dinan may be that the only company selling intakes that has actually done flow testing. Their results are available for anyone to see. Probably some of the aftermarket intakes also improve flow, and as Dinan explains, improved flow increases efficiency and that can translate to more power. https://www.dinancars.com/products/i...arts/D760-0049

You can also just add octane and increase boost. At done point the stock parts will become less efficient but you can still make more power.
Appreciate your inputs.
Appreciate 0