E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Private Owners For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Exterior / Cosmetic Parts > LED tails

01-23-2007, 10:38 PM   #23
Chesmu
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3l0n View Post
i can hardly wait, black lines are now on hold
don't hold your breath...
no LED's on the e90, e92... why would they make an aftermarket light this far out?
      01-24-2007, 08:47 AM   #24
d3l0n
I love the ///M3, but I want 550hp ///M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW330iE90

Garage List
i'm terribly sorry but i dont understand what you mean... why not? I believe that, because here in brooklyn, we have alot of e39's and I have seen them with these new halo head lights and new led tails. The same LED Tail lights on that pic. For the e90 tails to be with that.. I believe lol

explain if u see otherwise..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesmu View Post
don't hold your breath...
no LED's on the e90, e92... why would they make an aftermarket light this far out?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2007, 08:54 AM   #25
RichP
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Because thats how we do in BK, LEDs on the old stuff, Incandescant on the new.

I have no idea why BMW has gone backwards with light tech on the 3, with the E90 generation not having LED. Hell, seems like most new japanese cars of any pricerange have LED taillamps now. Some of the toyotas even have LED license plate lights.

Unless the aftermarket steps up, we arent going to see LED tails anytime soon on the E90.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2007, 09:40 AM   #26
d3l0n
United_States
Rep

Garage List
agreed. I love the line LEDs that BMW have done. Its a shame how Lexus is trying to copy off of bmw and do their own thing. omg.. did you see the new LS tail lights? Trying so hard to imitate and trying to do better than the new 7 series. I know BMW probably won't do the LED's unless maybe for M3 coupe/sedan. Remember, LED tails, to my knowledge, debuted on the 3 series (e46 gen) with the M3 (I believe it was the 2002/3 m3) then all other models followed later.

6 and 7 Series BMWs have had it. The 5 series (e60) has LED tail lights from after market, but for 2008 they will definitely have LED tails which do look nice and bright. Kind of like the new generation g35 sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post

I have no idea why BMW has gone backwards with light tech on the 3, with the E90 generation not having LED. Hell, seems like most new japanese cars of any pricerange have LED taillamps now. Some of the toyotas even have LED license plate lights.

Unless the aftermarket steps up, we arent going to see LED tails anytime soon on the E90.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2007, 09:53 AM   #27
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

I'm almost positive that BMW will 'upgrade' the E9xs to have LED tails later on during one of its face/refresh campign
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post

01-24-2007, 09:59 AM   #28
Stronie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80M3 Comp. 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
I'm almost positive that BMW will 'upgrade' the E9xs to have LED tails later on during one of its face/refresh campign
Your absolutely Correct, they are used as a MMC Minor Model change item.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2007, 10:00 AM   #29
pacman
Lieutenant Colonel
India
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
+1
      01-24-2007, 11:20 AM   #30
joebaggg
E60
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Attack

Garage List
2006 E90  [0.00]
led's are for accent lights. oem bmw taillights looks sick. leave the led tails to the hondas (it makes them go faster)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2007, 11:37 AM   #31
18LLC
Major General
Rep
Drives: e89

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaggg View Post
led's are for accent lights. oem bmw taillights looks sick. leave the led tails to the hondas (it makes them go faster)
so you mean e46 with led tail can go faster?
oem bmw e46 tailight from 2004 to 2006 are led tailight, do they looks like civic to you?
      01-24-2007, 12:25 PM   #32
bsavic
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: (sold) e90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18LLC View Post
oem bmw e46 tailight from 2004 to 2006 are led tailight, do they looks like civic to you?
That would only be true for the coupe versions, the sedan never got them. Umnitza has had them on sale for the e46 sedan for months now with the "will be in stock at the end of the month" message since the fall. If that is any sign, it will be a long time untill we get them for the e90 ... unless someone is up for a challenge...

Savic
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2007, 06:45 PM   #33
homerunball
Private
Rep
Drives: 96 Geo Metro 1.0L

LED's reach full illumination 20x faster than any filament incandescent bulb. It is a safety issue, thats why the trend with all the buses and traffic lights sporting LED's. This is not much of an issue close up, but from a distance, a blinking incandescent bulb will "bleed" through during power up and power down periods of the bulb, effectively turing the signal to a blurred periodic intensity changes. LED's will maintain their sharp on-off speed, hence the use in traffic lights and public transportation vehicles. It is also much smaller, you can channel the light and it operates at a fraction of the temperature/power as mentioned before. It will not only last longer than any filament bulb, but it will outlast arc bulbs (HID) and even us.

BMW using cosmetic upgrades on the last year of production is nothing new. E39's got the headlight rings before it went out as did the E46 coupes with their tail lights. Not having LED right now won't hurt BMW sales at all for E92, however, having LED's in the end of the production cycle could be another incentive to make the product look fresh. BMW will not make an investment in expensive LED lighting technology unless they have to.

former automotive R&D engineer
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2007, 06:51 PM   #34
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsavic View Post
That would only be true for the coupe versions, the sedan never got them. Umnitza has had them on sale for the e46 sedan for months now with the "will be in stock at the end of the month" message since the fall. If that is any sign, it will be a long time untill we get them for the e90 ... unless someone is up for a challenge...

Savic
i'm up for the challenge. not sure if its worth doing. the blackline looks fine as it it.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2007, 07:19 PM   #35
d3l0n
United_States
Rep

Garage List
what an answer ... lol.. thanks. That should about clear it up for everyone..

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunball View Post
LED's reach full illumination 20x faster than any filament incandescent bulb. It is a safety issue, thats why the trend with all the buses and traffic lights sporting LED's. This is not much of an issue close up, but from a distance, a blinking incandescent bulb will "bleed" through during power up and power down periods of the bulb, effectively turning the signal to a blurred periodic intensity changes. LED's will maintain their sharp on-off speed, hence the use in traffic lights and public transportation vehicles. It is also much smaller, you can channel the light and it operates at a fraction of the temperature/power as mentioned before. It will not only last longer than any filament bulb, but it will outlast arc bulbs (HID) and even us.

BMW using cosmetic upgrades on the last year of production is nothing new. E39's got the headlight rings before it went out as did the E46 coupes with their tail lights. Not having LED right now won't hurt BMW sales at all for E92, however, having LED's in the end of the production cycle could be another incentive to make the product look fresh. BMW will not make an investment in expensive LED lighting technology unless they have to.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2007, 07:21 PM   #36
d3l0n
United_States
Rep

Garage List
what about the quicker response from LEDs vs Adaptive Break lights?

oh.. what about the quicker response from LEDs vs Adaptive Break lights?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2007, 07:41 PM   #37
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18LLC View Post
Actually, yes but only because Honda goes out of their way to make the civic look like a 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2007, 08:35 PM   #38
bsavic
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunball View Post
LED's reach full illumination 20x faster than any filament incandescent bulb. It is a safety issue, thats why the trend with all the buses and traffic lights sporting LED's. This is not much of an issue close up, but from a distance, a blinking incandescent bulb will "bleed" through during power up and power down periods of the bulb, effectively turing the signal to a blurred periodic intensity changes. LED's will maintain their sharp on-off speed, hence the use in traffic lights and public transportation vehicles. It is also much smaller, you can channel the light and it operates at a fraction of the temperature/power as mentioned before. It will not only last longer than any filament bulb, but it will outlast arc bulbs (HID) and even us.

Wow! The man deserves a CHAMP award for this one. Great Work &

Savic
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2007, 08:38 PM   #39
bsavic
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran View Post
i'm up for the challenge. not sure if its worth doing. the blackline looks fine as it it.
I might be in the mood to make it well worth your time if I got to be the first to use the resulting product... Are you serious about this project? What do you have in mind?

Savic
Appreciate 0