BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Music / Lagging

05-12-2021, 09:31 AM   #1
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
Music / Lagging

I find that this happens more often then I'd like to deal with.

I have my iphone connected via bluetooth. When listening to my music on itunes, and attempting to change the track, either from the steering wheel or the dash, there is a lag of anywhere from 2-15 seconds before the song changes.

It results in me pushing the button numerous times, thus restarting the track just as many times...

anyone know why this happens?
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 02:56 PM   #2
Jamesmick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 Azurite Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRCHP View Post

I have my iphone connected via bluetooth. When listening to my music on itunes, and attempting to change the track, either from the steering wheel or the dash, there is a lag of anywhere from 2-15 seconds before the song changes.

It results in me pushing the button numerous times, thus restarting the track just as many times...

I've noticed this too but it is totally inconsistent. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the phone will connect via the spotify connection and other times that doesn't even appear on the car so it has to connect directly through the phone. Which way is yours connecting?
2003 530i (retired)
2000 C32 AMG (retired)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 09:55 AM   #3
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesmick View Post
Quote:

I've noticed this too but it is totally inconsistent. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the phone will connect via the spotify connection and other times that doesn't even appear on the car so it has to connect directly through the phone. Which way is yours connecting?
I'm just selecting "iPhone" on the idrive as I always have.

Although the F90's tech is worlds ahead of what I was used to in the E92 and F82, I still have to break the old habits and comfortable way of listening to music and the overall connectivity.

I agree with inconsistencies of it though
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 10:02 AM   #4
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

I find Bluetooth is just an annoying technology in general. I wish something better would replace it, but it's just "good enough" to have become ubiquitous to the point we all just accept it. I have daily aggravations with Bluetooth across multiple devices.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 10:20 AM   #5
Jamesmick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 Azurite Black

Quote:
I'm just selecting "iPhone" on the idrive as I always have.

Although the F90's tech is worlds ahead of what I was used to in the E92 and F82, I still have to break the old habits and comfortable way of listening to music and the overall connectivity.

I agree with inconsistencies of it though
Try selecting Spotify through iDrive and see if that makes a difference.

I haven't been able to consistently figure out why or when it is going to introduce the delays. The whole thing is so strange, especially considering the bluetooth connection in my 2012 535 is rock solid. For that matter, when my son is driving the 535 and I'm in the M5, my phone will connect to the 535 while we're at stoplights. I have to keep reminding him to give me some distance so I don't lose my tunes. LOL.
2003 530i (retired)
2000 C32 AMG (retired)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 10:15 AM   #6
dogears
My master volume goes to 11
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

Bluetooth is a lossy and crappy sounding connection method. Doesn’t the 2021 have wifi wireless connection CarPlay? No Bluetooth connection needed. Did you try that? I got my M5C yesterday and the phone connects with wireless. Not Bluetooth. Try that. Much better sound that way too!