BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Car Died - Wouldn't Start - Flatbed To Dealer

08-01-2019, 12:17 AM   #1
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition Frozen Bla

So, had an interesting and unfortunate evening today with my M5 Competition. Car is a 2019 M5 Competition, January 2019 Build Date, Took Delivery in late June. Car currently has 3200 miles on it. Mods are Remus Cat-Back Exhaust, and BMC filters inside of stock airbox, and charcoal filters are removed.

Leaving the gym, got in the car, hit the start button, fired up fine, pulled out and got on the road. Merged onto the interstate in heavy traffic. At this time the car was in Sport/Sport/Sport/S3, windows down, climate control off. Temp outside was 86 degrees F. Was inching along in traffic going just fine. Got hot in the car. Closed the windows, hit Max A/C. Soon after this, the engine started "fluttering" (best i can describe it). RPMs were quickly varying between 100-600 RPM. Gas pedal was basically non responsive. Engine then puttered and stopped, while I was in the far right lane on the highway in traffic. I immediately hit the start stop button to turn the car back on, it fired on, but immediately went back to the same state. Fortunately I was just coming up to an off-ramp off the highway, so took that to at least get the car off the highway. While puttering, the transmission was shifting super rough, and almost felt like it was slipping. Car was still putterring/fluttering, gas pedal was barely having any affect. Fortunately there is a Park and Ride off this exit, and the 2 lights (2 right turns towards the park and ride lot) were green. I was able to coast/lightly apply gas pedal and limp the car into the parking lot.

From here, things get interesting. As soon as I park the car and it is stationary, the engine shuts off. At this point, there are no errors or anything displaying on either the dash or nav screen. Try to fire up the engine, starter goes, engine fires, then immediately shuts off. Try this again 5-7 more times, same thing, engine turns over then immediately shuts off. At this point i'm worried that either (a) I have bad gas in the tank, (b) if i try this more then ill flood the engine, (c) i'm going to drain the battery. So at this point I stop and use BMW Assist to call Roadside Assistance.

Roadside Assistance answers and says the only thing they can see is a low battery message. I tell them that all the electronics in the car are working fine, I'm seeing no error messages, Check Control says "all systems ok", no CEL, but car won't start. The Master Techs had gone home for the evening, so only thing she could do was call a tow truck. Bummer. She arranges the two (60-90 minute wait) and hangs up with me. At this point car still isn't showing any sort of error codes and check control is green.

I proceed to inspect the vehicle at this point to see if anything looks bad. No liquids underneath the car. Check the radiator, intercooler, oil coolers, and the notorious oil cooler on the front lip. Nothing is punctured, leaking, or broken that i can see. Check the rear for exhaust issues. Don't see anything. At this point I get out of the car, lock it, and wait 10-15 minutes for it to fully go to sleep (spend the time packing up my valuables into my gym bag from the car). Now it gets interesting.....

Get back into the car after calling my wife to ask for a ride. Hit the start button, car fires up like normal, cold starts, settles in at its normal 800 rpm. Like nothing ever happened. Except this time, there is a CEL. I leave the car running and call BMW Roadside Assistance again hoping the car has sent them information on the CEL. No dice. On their side the car looks completely fine/normal. Check Control is still green. Hang up. Decide to see how the car reacts if I start driving it. So I take about 8-10 laps around the parking lot getting up to about 40 mph, and varying the revs, engine modes, and transmission modes. Car is totally normal. Try turning on max a/c, car works fine, drives fine. CEL is still on however. Called limeypride to discuss with him. He reminded me to make sure the tow truck was a flatbed and not a 2 wheel type. Really good point. Call and confirm it's a flatbed. Considered driving it home, but tow truck driver and BMW Assist both recommended not driving it for fear the same thing would happen again.

Tow truck driver arrives and we strategize about how to get it on the flatbed without (a) having to winch it up and (b) without bottoming out the front lip. Tow truck driver was an absolute pro (Alpine Towing, seriously the best customer service I've ever had from anyone in the towing/car industry) and had wood boards to load the car without bottoming out the front lip. So now we go and start the car, starts up fine, just like normal, but NO MORE CEL! At this point i'm like all at the same time. Drive the car onto the flatbed, strap it down as not to damage my brand new wheels (which had literally just been put on the car 3 hours earlier). And off she goes on the flatbed. Arrive at dealer, start it up again to drive it off flatbed, starts up fine, no CEL, no erruor/warning messages, Check Control is Green.

Car is currently at the dealer. Service will take it in at 7am tomorrow and let me know whats up. I'm a little bit scared to drive it at this point for fear of getting stranded with the same issue. I'm more worried that since the CEL turned off, the techs won't be able to see what the issue was. I'll keep everyone posted.

Needless to say i'm not happy.

EDIT: Update as of Thursday 8/1 - Dealer confirmed there was a DME fault code stored. Words they used were "weird DME fault". They escalated and were told it needed remote troubleshooting from BMWNA in New Jersey before a fix plan could be determined. They will keep the car at least a week

EDIT- UPDATE 8/5: dealer is still awaiting action plan from BMWNA. I was able to get a description of the faults, but not the fault codes. turns out my car threw 3 different faults.

1. communication between both DME's
2. EWS -- engine start block
3. o2 sensor fault bank 2 pre cat.

Anyone seen these?

EDIT - UPDATE 8/16: Got note from dealer that car is complete and ready for pickup. Below are the notes from the tech. Note the multiple fault codes thrown and the troubleshooting procedure. Can confirm no parts were replaced. Notes edited for readability. Are there any BMW techs on here that can shed more light on these codes/procedure?

92377 ---1--- RECEIVED VEHICLE FROM TOW ZONE, VEHICLE STARTS AND DRIVES
WITH NO SES LIGHT ON AT THIS TIME. HOOKED IN BATTERY CHARGER...

---2---
PERFORMED FAULT SURVEY, VARIOUS FAULTS STORED FOR DME AND DME2. TWO OXYGEN
SENSOR FAULTS STORED FOR DME2, 12B001 12B204. SEVERAL THAT STOOD OUT FOR
POSSIBLE STALLING AND UNABLE TO RESTART WITHIN 2 KM OF EACH OTHER ARE
MULTIPLE DME TO DME2 AND VICE VERSA COMMUNICATION FAULTS. CDA716 CDD80B
CDE413 CDE423 CDE426 CDE433 CDE438. ALSO FAULT BY ITSELF THAT SUSPECT MAY
BE ROOT CAUSE OF ISSUES IS 1B2001 - DME2 EWS ENGINE START BLOCKED....

---3--- PERFORMED TEST MODULE FOR INTERFACE EWS-DME TEST MODULE, LEAD TO
CHECKING LINES PLUGS AND CONNECTIONS. DISCONNECTED BATTERY. REMOVED ALL
CONNECTORS FOR DME2, LINES PLUGS AND CONNECTIONS OK. TEST MODULE THEN LEAD
TO ENGINE CONTROL UNIT 2 FAULTY, DIAG CODE: D1214_B0000000_90_001....

---4&5--- SUBMITTED TC CASE FOR DME2 REPLACEMENT. SEARCHED SIBS AND
ADVANCED INFORMATION. NO RELEVANT INFORMATION FOUND AT THIS TIME...

---5---
PER TC, PERFORMED BDC RESET, CLEARED FAULTS...

---6--- PERFORMED EXTENDED
TEST DRIVE, NO FAULTS RETURNED AT THIS TIME. PER TSC, RELEASED VEHICLE TO
CUSTOMER.

Last edited by RPI-M5; 08-02-2019 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
nlaak86.50
      08-01-2019, 12:53 AM   #2
bradleyjs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5B, 2006 E60 550i

Garage List
This post looks like it could use an “Index” and s “Bibliography” for all of its Citations. j/k Interesting dilemma...
Appreciate 3
      08-01-2019, 12:56 AM   #3
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyjs View Post
This post looks like it could use an “Index” and s “Bibliography” for all of its Citations. j/k Interesting dilemma...
I've been accused on being "very thorough" during my lifetime

Wanted to make sure to cover the whole ordeal, since (hopefully) most people haven't had to call BMW Assist, deal with flatbeds on this car, or had this issue
      08-01-2019, 02:47 AM   #4
soopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Hopefully not a big issue. Techs will see all CEL history even if not displayed

Last edited by soopa; 08-01-2019 at 03:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 02:54 AM   #5
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Very interesting and accurate description of the problem, not sure what could be wrong, an engine sensor or some other sensor faulty maybe, but intermittent and these are a real problem.
Keep us up to date with what the final outcome is, I like you would be nervous to drive far for fear of a replete.
      08-01-2019, 06:21 AM   #6
e90alpinem3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Brutal op hope it gets fixed quickly and isn't a major issue. Still no fun doing the tow truck thing!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 06:47 AM   #7
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

interesting, my father had an issue the other day and called roadside. they set up an uber, and arranged for them to arrive the same as towtruck (to avoid leaving car alone)

i was blown away. very cool stuff.

i was zero help here ,sorry. bmw can still see the CEL or the prior one, dont worry
Appreciate 1
ghaffari461126.00
      08-01-2019, 06:19 PM   #8
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
This post looks like it could use an "Index" and s "Bibliography" for all of its Citations. j/k Interesting dilemma...
I'm gonna wait for the movie to come out. 🎥
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 08:28 PM   #9
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

UPDATE:

Dealer confirmed it is a DME Fault. whatever the code was is something they couldn't diagnose at the dealer. They have to involve the BMWNA folks in New Jersey. Will be without car 1 week minimum.
      08-01-2019, 08:32 PM   #10
momos750
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5, 2011 750Li

Sounds like possibly, a bad fuel pump control module. What was the ambient temperature outside?

I have had similar issues in my 750.
      08-01-2019, 09:12 PM   #11
bradleyjs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well I sure hope your problem gets solved expeditiously. I’m very interested to hear what they do to fix the issue, too. Sounds like it could happen to anyone of us so unexpectedly.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 09:26 AM   #12
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by momos750 View Post
Sounds like possibly, a bad fuel pump control module. What was the ambient temperature outside?

ambient was 86F according to the cars temp readout in the dash
      08-03-2019, 12:34 AM   #13
momos750
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5, 2011 750Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-M5 View Post
Quote:

It usually happens to me when the ambient temperature is higher, like over 90*, when the car has been sitting outdoors for some time, and/or really hot out.

From what the techs explain, the FPCM is overheating and causes the car to go into similar issues, you are experiencing. Fuel supply issues, drivetrain malfunctions, etc.

It's really annoying! I get out of the car, and lock it with the remote, it goes into sleep mode after 5-10mins, and then it starts right up with no issues. Very similar to what you explained in your previous post.

I don't know for sure, that's what causing your issue, but it does sound similar.
      08-03-2019, 06:32 AM   #14
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It usually happens to me when the ambient temperature is higher, like over 90*, when the car has been sitting outdoors for some time, and/or really hot out.

From what the techs explain, the FPCM is overheating and causes the car to go into similar issues, you are experiencing. Fuel supply issues, drivetrain malfunctions, etc.

It's really annoying! I get out of the car, and lock it with the remote, it goes into sleep mode after 5-10mins, and then it starts right up with no issues. Very similar to what you explained in your previous post.

I don't know for sure, that's what causing your issue, but it does sound similar.
if that is true that's a scary and unacceptable fault. did your engine shut off on your while driving?
      08-03-2019, 04:08 PM   #15
StealthM5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21'M5, 24'IX50, 16'Jeep Rubi

Quote:
UPDATE:

Dealer confirmed it is a DME Fault. whatever the code was is something they couldn't diagnose at the dealer. They have to involve the BMWNA folks in New Jersey. Will be without car 1 week minimum.
Will keep you posted on my DME issue. BMW NA is involved in my case as well.
21’ F90 M5C Frozen Dark Grey/Tartufo (all options except NV) Prior: 19' F90 M5C DG/Aragon (all options except NV); 14’ F1O M5 SG/SS; 11’ E92 M3 SB/BL; 06’ E60 M5 SS/BL; 00’ E39 M5 CB/CAR; 95’ E36 M3 AB/DG
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 07:45 PM   #16
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

UPDATE 8/5: dealer is still awaiting action plan from BMWNA. I was able to get a description of the faults, but not the fault codes. turns out my car threw 3 different faults.

1. communication between both DME's
2. EWS -- engine start block
3. o2 sensor fault bank 2 pre cat.

Anyone seen these?
      08-15-2019, 08:57 PM   #17
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

UPDATE 8/16: Got note from dealer that car is complete and ready for pickup. Below are the notes from the tech. Note the multiple fault codes thrown and the troubleshooting procedure. Can confirm no parts were replaced. Notes edited for readability. Are there any BMW techs on here that can shed more light on these codes/procedure?

---2---

---5---

CUSTOMER.
      08-15-2019, 11:03 PM   #18
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

Looks like they hit alt control and delete and rebooted it.

Good luck. I had a drive train malfunction warning. Car ran, just slowly. They did the same nonsense. Clear faults and it has been fine for the last 2000 miles.

Wish you the same !

Enjoy it.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      08-16-2019, 03:38 AM   #19
Nikolov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 F90 M5C, '17 911 TTS

Quote:
UPDATE 8/16: Got note from dealer that car is complete and ready for pickup. Below are the notes from the tech. Note the multiple fault codes thrown and the troubleshooting procedure. Can confirm no parts were replaced. Notes edited for readability. Are there any BMW techs on here that can shed more light on these codes/procedure?

---2---

---5---

CUSTOMER.
Any chance you have some sort of aftermarket immobilizer?
      08-16-2019, 04:09 AM   #20
bradleyjs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post

Good luck. I had a drive train malfunction warning. Car ran, just slowly. They did the same nonsense. Clear faults and it has been fine for the last 2000 miles.

Wish you the same !

Enjoy it.
You mean CTRL+ALT+DEL? That’s usually accompanied by a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) and a CMOS Error in which hitting F12 will prompt for an alternate reboot interface device change while rebuilding from the Firmware’s most recent “clean” copy. It happens all the time, similar to my Alienware Area-51 desktop which is often an Overclocked beast of a system; of which ironically, also pushes 600 HP and 553 lbs-Ft via its dual water-cooled GTX-1080Ti SLI manifolds!

Just kidding I couldn’t resist the metaphor.

Kidding aside, I’m really hoping this doesn’t repeat itself in the future. It sounds like a major inconvenience and just a total PITA.
Attached Images

Last edited by bradleyjs; 08-16-2019 at 04:23 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 05:01 AM   #21
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Seems a "hard reset" with power removed from the car did the trick, good luck and see how it goes.
      08-16-2019, 05:06 AM   #22
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post

Wish you the same !

Enjoy it.
You mean CTRL+ALT+DEL? That’s usually accompanied by a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) and a CMOS Error in which hitting F12 will prompt for an alternate reboot interface device change while rebuilding from the Firmware’s most recent “clean” copy. It happens all the time, similar to my Alienware Area-51 desktop which is often an Overclocked beast of a system; of which ironically, also pushes 600 HP and 553 lbs-Ft via its dual water-cooled GTX-1080Ti SLI manifolds!

Just kidding I couldn’t resist the metaphor.

Kidding aside, I’m really hoping this doesn’t repeat itself in the future. It sounds like a major inconvenience and just a total PITA.
Put a proper Attack Plane on there will ya?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0