E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 2011 335d - Occasional Belt Squeal at Start Up

07-29-2017, 11:59 PM   #133
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

You can skip #1 if you use the crank pulley bolt(s) to turn the pulley. Takes an e12 socket.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 01:37 PM   #134
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
You can skip #1 if you use the crank pulley bolt(s) to turn the pulley. Takes an e12 socket.
Do not use the crank pully bolts! make sure to use the 9mm allen hex. You will back out the bolts when you turn it counter clockwise like i started to do. Also turning it clockwise will probably add torque to the fastener and no need to do any of that when you need the 9mm to turn the crank anyways.

Last edited by Asonchadwick; 08-02-2017 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 04:59 PM   #135
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

You shouldn't turn the engine counter clockwise to begin with, and it won't add torque turning it clockwise unless you have the wrong belt. The torque to get the belt on is way below the tightening torque of those bolts
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 05:06 PM   #136
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

Quote:
You shouldn't turn the engine counter clockwise to begin with, and it won't add torque turning it clockwise unless you have the wrong belt. The torque to get the belt on is way below the tightening torque of those bolts
I don't know but when putting on my ac stretch belt on the x5, the already torqued harmonic bolts got tighter. I was worried about overtorquing them. Someone made a little socket that has a cross pattern which goes in between the bolts to turn the harmonic balancer for belt installs.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 05:53 PM   #137
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep

Quote:

Are we talking about the same engine here? Or the same tool?

What are you talking about?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 06:06 PM   #138
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson335d View Post
Are we talking about the same engine here? Or the same tool?

What are you talking about?
I don't know, on the m57 in 335d with properly torqued bolts and the new shorter ac belt and lisle belt tool, no tightening of the crank bolts should happen
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 11:30 PM   #139
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

I did what Hooper did and no issues. If afraid, a 12 point socket in 1-1/4 can be used. I think the size is correct.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 08:39 AM   #140
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep

Quote:
I don't know, on the m57 in 335d with properly torqued bolts and the new shorter ac belt and lisle belt tool, no tightening of the crank bolts should happen

The lisle tool only installs the belt counter clockwise so using the crank bolts will loosen them for sure. As far as clockwise goes i am really only assuming the potential to make them tighter when uninstalling the belt.

The point is why is them at all or any other bolt when the 9mm allen on the PS drive shaft works perfectly and you are going to have to use that anyways to install the belt.

Whats your reasoning here i dont understand it.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 09:44 AM   #141
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The lisle tool only installs the belt counter clockwise so using the crank bolts will loosen them for sure. As far as clockwise goes i am really only assuming the potential to make them tighter when uninstalling the belt.

The point is why is them at all or any other bolt when the 9mm allen on the PS drive shaft works perfectly and you are going to have to use that anyways to install the belt.

Whats your reasoning here i dont understand it.
Lisle tool worked clockwise for me. I don't get why you think you need to use the ps pulley at any point in removing or installing the a.c. belt. I did not use it at any point in my install. Avoiding that saves you the need to mess with all those items you messed with in step 1.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 04:22 PM   #142
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep

Quote:
Lisle tool worked clockwise for me. I don't get why you think you need to use the ps pulley at any point in removing or installing the a.c. belt. I did not use it at any point in my install. Avoiding that saves you the need to mess with all those items you messed with in step 1.
Ok ya it worked clockwise for me too. I dont think there is any controversies there. Did you use the same lisle tool to put a new belt back on? If so what methods exactly did you use to turn the crank counter clockwise? So far i do not here you saying you turned the crank counter clockwise so i can only conclude so far you got a belt off with the lisle tool but never installed a new belt back on.

Please explain. I am not following you at all.

Last edited by Asonchadwick; 08-02-2017 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 04:39 PM   #143
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ok ya it worked clockwise for me too. I dont think there is any controversies there. Did you use the same lisle tool to put a new belt back on? If so what methods exactly did you use to turn the crank counter clockslwise? So far i do not here you saying you turned the crank counter clockwise so i can only conclude so far you got a belt off with the lisle tool but never installed a new belt back on.

Please explain. I am not following you at all.
I used the lisle tool, turning clockwise, to both remove and install the belt. The lisle tool was used both to remove and install the belt, turning clockwise in both instances.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 05:57 PM   #144
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
I used the lisle tool, turning clockwise, to both remove and install the belt. The lisle tool was used both to remove and install the belt, turning clockwise in both instances.
Likewise
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 01:34 AM   #145
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep

Quote:
Well now i get it...we obviously arent talking about the same lisle tool #59370 that's clear. There is no possible way you used that lisle tool i posted about, it only installs counter clockwise and uninstalls clockwise in this application for the ac stretch belt and since lisle only makes one tool #59370 that i am aware of i would say you are just refering to some other brand and type of tool.

Apparently others are as well because anyone using the make and model of tool and putting said tool on the crankshaft harmonic balancer pulley the belt only installs and uninstalls as mentioned...sorry guys thats all there is to it and no where in reality can it work differently. But you are more than welcome to post pics or better yet videos detailing how you used that make and model of tool to install the 335d a.c. stretch belt, placing the tool on the harmonic balancer, and turning it clockwise to install the belt lmao

Last edited by Asonchadwick; 08-02-2017 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 08:16 AM   #146
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Lisle 59370, just went back and verified that is in fact the tool I used.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 09:13 AM   #147
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Well now i get it...we obviously arent talking about the same lisle tool #59370 that's clear. There is no possible way you used that lisle tool i posted about, it only installs counter clockwise and uninstalls clockwise in this application for the ac stretch belt and since lisle only makes one tool #59370 that i am aware of i would say you are just refering to some ither brand and type of tool.

Appraently others are as well because anyone using the make and model of tool and putting said tool on the crankshaft harmonic balancer pulley the belt only installs and unimstalls as mentioned...sorry guys thats all there is to it and no where in reality can it work differently. But you are more than welcome to post pics or better yet videos detailing how you used that make and model of tool to install the 335d a.c. stretch belt, placing the tool on the harmonic balancer, and turning it clockwise to install the belt lmao
Here's a video. Note how he can turn it clockwise in both instances. This is the video direct form Lisle tools, for that exact part number. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEI_06b1F_8
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 09:47 AM   #148
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqu3 View Post
Here's a video. Note how he can turn it clockwise in both instances. This is the video direct form Lisle tools, for that exact part number. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEI_06b1F_8
Lol nooooooo

Ok i now know no one here but me has actually used that exact tool to install the a.c. stretch belt on a 335d

Lemme just look real quick make sure i am in the 335d forum...mmmm yep

Lemme makensure we are talking about the a.c. stretch belt...mmmm yep

So thank for posting the video

Come on guys are you just trying to mess with because i am new or do you really, actually, honestly believe this crap you are posting

I mean if you wanna put the tool on the back of your harmonic balancer and some how magically remove the a.c. stretch belt by turning the balancer bolts counter clockwise why not just get a knife and cut it off? Better yet how about a ninja sword or just burn off the belt with a torch Personally the fastest way is just take like a stick of dyn-O-mite, strap it to the a.c. belt (make sure your car is properly on jack stands first and the rear wheels chocked for safety), then light the fuse (give yourself at least a foot of clearence between you and the car and have a spotter. A good rule of thumb is to use another forum member or two who have experience removing the a.c. stretch belt...for safety)

None of you guys used the tool OBVIOUSLY so i dont know what the point is trying to lie about it here and mess up others

Seriously! i hope everyone follows your advice and you all get banned
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 10:05 AM   #149
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Wow that is a lot of smileys and excitement. I will say, the tool is definitely not designed to work for installing and removing the belt by turning the engine the same direction. However, that does not make it impossible as I found out, it just takes a little ingenuity to get it to work clockwise on the front for installation. Obviously Im not going to take my belt off and make a video reinstalling it just to prove a point on the internet, but suffice it to say it is possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 10:56 AM   #150
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

I just cut mine off for removing. Why bother if I'm gonna replace anyway. Certainly not as creative as was posted above with dynamite etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 11:00 AM   #151
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep

Quote:
Wow that is a lot of smileys and excitement. I will say, the tool is definitely not designed to work for installing and removing the belt by turning the engine the same direction. However, that does not make it impossible as I found out, it just takes a little ingenuity to get it to work clockwise on the front for installation. Obviously Im not going to take my belt off and make a video reinstalling it just to prove a point on the internet, but suffice it to say it is possible.

Hell yeah I love getting all worked up for nothing I looked at it again maybe you could put it on clockwise but it's not supposed to go that way
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 11:01 AM   #152
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep

I think next time I'm just going to try the dynamite method that'll be the fastest
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 11:22 AM   #153
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Hell yeah I love getting all worked up for nothing I looked at it again maybe you could put it on clockwise but it's not supposed to go that way
As far as a 335d goes there's a lot of stuff that isn't supposed to happen going on. These cars are rigged so many ways. Just depends on how creative you want to get. The video doesn't lie though. And considering Hooper's status in this community, I doubt he is going to lie about what he did. It's clearly possible to do it all clockwise. Regardless of how you're "supposed to" do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 11:37 AM   #154
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

From memory, I believe what I did was flip the tool over to the install side, hook the belt over the install ramp just like you would do if turning counter clockwise but with the belt on the pulley in front of the ramp instead of behind, turned clockwise instead and it worked fine. The fancy little belt director/ramp thing on the install side is really not necessary since the belt does not hold form past the end of the ramp anyway so I just looked past their design and treated the install ramp as basically a hook to keep the belt from sliding off. It is unfortunate that the tool is designed to install and remove in different directions since youre never supposed to turn an engine in the reverse of its running direction, but I guess that is what they had to do to design a tool that would work on both the front side and back side of pulleys.
Appreciate 1
robnitro160.00