BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos    I'm thinking class action law suite against Galves

03-01-2006, 07:15 PM   #23
Lost Rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: R NineT, X1

Garage List
2014 BMW R NineT  [0.00]
2015 X1 xdrive  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalyBMW325
I am American just working in Italy. My Ford Lightning is sitting in New Mexico (actually at a dealer in Texas getting fixed). I loved the fast truck (high performance and could tow my boat) but this was the last straw for an American vehicle.
Fair enough, like I said that sucks you have to deal with that, and sounds like reason for a lawsuit. Allthough I no nother about Law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira
OK. This is a DISCUSSION forum. It´s not a place where there is a mandate to only answer questions the way YOU wish them to be addressed.

Please keep that in mind, esp. when posting something that was somewhat farcical to begin with.

What he said.

03-01-2006, 07:25 PM   #24
jmatero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50

Garage List
The reason there is a difference is the source.... The Galves pricing is a pretty accurate representation of a particular vehicle's value in your part of the country.... the price a wholeseller would pay for that vehicle. The prices fluctuate based on what actual demand is. For instance, in the Galves pricing, your Miata's value in Vermont may actually RISE a bit during the spring where in the winter months it tanked. SUV's traditionally (in the snow belt) have a higher resale in fall than spring/summer. Kelly and NADA are NOT accurate in my opinion... they are simply an average... a "guide". I think they're great if you're selling private.

In NY/NJ/CT area, you should expect to get Galves value for your trade... it's what all the dealers use. Kelly and NADA are laughed at. So, I just pay the one-time fee online ($4 or $5), get the Galves, and expect NO LESS on the trade. I'm not sure why you would sue them.... remember... in the internet age, buyers have access to all the data on new cars.... so they go to the dealer armed to the teeth... and usually get a good price for their car. Of course, that means dealers make less per vehicle than they used to and that money is going to come from SOMEWHERE. Nothing is free.

Besides dealers make more money selling USED vehicles than NEW.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 10:30 PM   #25
Fraxum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatero View Post
The reason there is a difference is the source.... The Galves pricing is a pretty accurate representation of a particular vehicle's value in your part of the country.... the price a wholeseller would pay for that vehicle.
+1 Dealers use Galves because it is the most realistic price. If you are sellng you car or trading it in get the Galves book because this is what your car is really worth (usually). It also would not hurt to look at Galves to see what your shiny new car wil be worth once you drive it off the lot in a few years. It will make you sick. The wisest car buyers buy used late model cars at as close to Galves as they can get. I wish that were me.
      01-23-2008, 10:32 PM   #26
mrvuml
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i w/ZSP

Garage List
2008 335i Sedan  [0.00]
WTF? I started reading this thread only to discover its almost two years old! IMHO threads should lock themselves after 6 months of no activity.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 04:15 AM   #27
ukthunderace
Autobahn Cruiser
Germany
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Tief Gruen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BMW View Post
I also don’t have time to read your stupid comments, so unless you have something helpful to add, don’t bother replying!
I am thinking we should all bring a Class Action Lawsuit against you for being a tool.

You are what is wrong with America these days.

edit: thread is old...You are what was wrong with America two years ago and hopefully have not continued to be so.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 05:45 AM   #28
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Reminds me of the late 90's....around 2k1 all these frivilous lawsuits against bubble cos a la internet bust. If you owned any of these shares, you may be entitled to $0.50, and the list had like 300 companies. Here in the USA we love to sue, not create anything of value, and spend all day at it, 70 hours per week. And when we don't get compensated for creating anything of value, we borrow and lease what we didn't earn. And the funny thing is, most lawyers don't even get rich!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 07:22 AM   #29
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
With apologies in advance (seriously):
Speaking of what "really bugs me", (and your typo of the term "Suite" aside), the widely used phrase "Class Action Law Suit" is incorrect -- a redundancy. The fact that everyone uses it incorrectly does not make it correct.
An action IS a suit, and a suit IS an action.
It's like saying "I'm getting rid of my run flat tire tires."
Not trying to be a tool (but perhaps succeeding), and in any case, good luck with your litigation.
"Class Action" is a legal term of art that describes a particular type of lawsuit. In this way, calling something a "class action" suit is like saying that it is a "shareholder derivative" lawsuit. It is redundant to call something a "class action lawsuit," which is why it iis commonly just called a "class action," but it is not necessarily incorrect to call it a "class action lawsuit."

This is one of those issues like what's the past tense of plea? Is is pled or pleaded? People have preferences, but neither is really wrong.
      03-03-2009, 02:55 PM   #30
ratso
ratso
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi dark green

galves

Thats why.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 03:45 PM   #31
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
I am doing a class action suit against my dry cleaner..I dont like how he does my laundry.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 03:58 PM   #32
Ray
Rep
Drives: three series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BMW View Post
I know I can get more selling it on my own but I just don’t have the time to deal with that. And timing the sale of the old car with the arrival of the new car will be a challenge. I don’t have another car to drive if I sell mine 3 weeks before the new one arrives.
If you need to part with the car quickly and hastle free the dealer is offering you this service and that is the price you pay. The money lost is suppose to offset the time and efforts of selling the car yourself.

Similar to any other modes of sale: if you like the offer, take it. If not, leave it.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #33
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

hmmm, maybe you could show a collusion of sorts between dealers and the trade in value folks. Ever wonder why it's such a pain to sell a car yourself? Various documents, bills of sale, tax forms, emissions stuff, etc? Maybe because the dealers have lobbied to make it that hard so that we all just give in an take the cars to the dealer instead? combine that with the trade in folks and maybe there's a collusion. I don't know it seems tenuous but maybe not.

Now since we're suing today, who should really be sued via class action? the insurance companies. they lobby for lower speed limits, give out radar guns and lasers to law enforcement and then raise rates when we get cited!
      03-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #34
Ray
Rep
Drives: three series

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
I am doing a class action suit against my dry cleaner..I dont like how he does my laundry.

And you have to continue using their services until they do it right
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #35
Sal@AUTOcouture
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E36 M3

This is up there w/ the most ridiculous threads.

Da NADA and/or KBB buy cars? No. They are estimates as to what the vehicle you have is worth and not based on actual wholesale values.

Galves is actual value. Just because a Caddy Escalade KBB's for $40k doesn't mean its worth it. If they're selling at wholesale (which is what Galves is) for $22k..thats all its worth.

You're suing because their values are too low? This is absurd!

Whats next? You're gonna sue Salvatore Ferragamo because his shoes are too expensive!

Gimme a break. Don't like the assessed value of your car, sell it private.

/story
Appreciate 0