BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls    Oil/Filter change and protective oil cooler guard installed.

12-31-2022, 06:10 PM   #23
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
Just adding to the fray.

I am doing an oil change on our Sienna tomorrow.......

So I bought the tool I need to do it.

Here....

See anything interesting???

Begin Rant::::;

Well do ya? BMW YOU HAVE YOUR HEAD UP YOUR ASS? That 'tool' for the BMW slips and gets stuck because the tolerance on the plastic cover and the metal tool are not close enough. It's a pain in the (&)*&*&) to remove once it's stuck on the housing. Toyota has a positive NOTCH on their METAL housing. Not that difficult of an idea. And the Sienna still has the drain plug and you use a plug-in plastic sleeve to drain the housing before removing it. Nice.

End Rant:

Mike
I have had problems with those oil filter caps on several vehicles. Maybe the oil filter tool with the strap is a better option.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 11:27 AM   #24
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
I have had problems with those oil filter caps on several vehicles. Maybe the oil filter tool with the strap is a better option.
I have a strap on, you need access to use it, and on the M5 and Civic for that matter, there is no room, the Socket type is nice for access and easy of turning the wrench.

I use an adjustable one for the Civic, grips with metal teeth so can only be used on disposable canister type filters.

The M5 housing is plastic.

The strap type must be used on bone dry housing, any oil and it's no good. I actually added grips to mine when I was using it on my RS6. I put several zip ties around it to create barbs, that worked great.

I just am disappointed that the tolerance on the M5 plastic housing vs the metal socket is so poor. Maybe if it had fewer facets it would be better?

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 12:31 PM   #25
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

If you buy the updated one with the integrated design plug, can’t you use a regular socket on the drain plug housing?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 11:46 PM   #26
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
If you buy the updated one with the integrated design plug, can’t you use a regular socket on the drain plug housing?
Yes. I’ll be giving my dealer the one I bought to replace next month when they do my yearly drain and fill.
On a side note. Installed the oil cooler guard. Super easy. I did elect to multi tool away some of the plastic splash shield so it fit more flush. I do like the design and simplicity of it. Definitely found some fun scrapes under my bumper I never knew I had. Lol.

Would be shocked at the amount of random debris I found while cleaning out the area behind the bumper. Glass bits, rocks, ceramic shard, sticks, leaves, more rocks, styrofoam, etc.

Bottom of the cooler looked pretty good. Few small fins bent but not bad for 15000 miles.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 11:14 AM   #27
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D_SE_Man, F90_M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
I have the Zunsport grills for my Boxster's radiators and they are great for protection all around (side intakes also) but they don't yet make a set up for the M5's intakes (for the intercoolers). They asked if I wanted to make a template for them. LOL.

I took a rock to my RS6 intercooler, was a small leak but I had it replaced during a timing belt service (no a lot more cost due to the 'service position' cost as part of the timing belt job) but the intercooler was $700. I have been aware of this issue for some time.

The first time I read about an engine being killed due to an oil leak from the oil cooler I was shocked. BMW engineering? really?

Mike
I have the full 4 part set.
L&R side rads
Main lower central
Oil cool underneath

@Aronis, do you mean the main upper nostrils or the side gills on the wings?
My UK 2019 Comp was the template car. At the time, Zunsport said they wouldn't do the main upper nostril grilles. I did convince them that the oil cooler guard would be a good one to have in their catalogue though
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 11:48 AM   #28
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
I did elect to multi tool away some of the plastic splash shield so it fit more flush. I do like the design and simplicity of it. Definitely found some fun scrapes under my bumper I never knew I had. Lol.
I changed my oil and installed the oil cooler guard last weekend. I found the holes to be just slightly off so I cut a small slits in the sides of the rubberish part sticking down and that allowed me to shift the guard to better line up the holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Would be shocked at the amount of random debris I found while cleaning out the area behind the bumper. Glass bits, rocks, ceramic shard, sticks, leaves, more rocks, styrofoam, etc.
I also had the grills out and reached down and was shocked because I found similar strange items wedged back there including the ceramic shards, styrofoam and the expected sticks/leaves/rocks.
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594140.00