BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    STEERING WHEELS. Post your modded steering wheels.

08-22-2023, 04:54 PM   #45
916_M5
IG: @M5RCY_
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm490 View Post
Beautiful wheel and interior!

How do you like the magnetic paddle shifters? I have been wanting to bite the bullet on a pair but am skeptical. Do you recommend? and if so which ones do you have?
Thank you so much.

I absolutely LOVE THEM! Love the feedback they provide and the SURE click no matter where on the paddle you press them. They have just released a new version with a quieter click I believe. I would look into those
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 05:12 PM   #46
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' F90 M5c

Quote:
Originally Posted by 916_M5 View Post
Thank you so much.

I absolutely LOVE THEM! Love the feedback they provide and the SURE click no matter where on the paddle you press them. They have just released a new version with a quieter click I believe. I would look into those
Awesome thank you! Can you send me the link or who makes them?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 04:03 PM   #47
fan51
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 916_M5 View Post
this is my steering wheel with magnetic paddle shifters as well
Is this an aza wheel? Love it
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 05:32 PM   #48
thadulz
Registered
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Just finished installing today. Did some research on a seller from Alibaba and decided to take the risk. Was able to spec out materials, colors, etc (CF and perforated leather).

Negatives:
  • Fitment is not 100% (Small spacing gap along the column where the steering button is placed)
  • No instructions provided
  • Language barrier
Positives:
  • Looks amazing
  • Retained ALL button functionality
Also, for full functionality the control unit for touch detection had to be removed. I was hesitant at first, but so far no errors/issues have shown up. I've went ~3 miles on active cruise control before manually taking over. No chimes/warnings so it sounds like a win to me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 11:46 PM   #49
Jambo1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C /// 2023 XDrive40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Painted steering trim piano black, and changed to Paddleshifterz.
Attached Images

Reventon Splitter /// Reventon Diffuser /// Addlights M Door LEDs /// Dinan Inlets /// Gentleman's Switch /// Paddleshifterz With Piano Black Steering Wheel Trim /// Charcoal Filter Delete /// Piano Black Side Skirts /// Funk Motorsports Turbo Blankets
Appreciate 3
afo818254.50
jm490519.00
Tuner199.00
      09-14-2023, 10:48 AM   #50
AP_M5
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5

I pulled the trigger on AZA wheel, which should be delivered within a week. Rep sent me pictures of final product. Local shop will install. I got cold feet thinking about swapping internals with DAP/heating.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 11:31 AM   #51
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy3248 View Post
I pulled the trigger on AZA wheel, which should be delivered within a week. Rep sent me pictures of final product. Local shop will install. I got cold feet thinking about swapping internals with DAP/heating.
Did it come from ukraine ?

Last edited by Alberta; 09-14-2023 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 01:27 PM   #52
AP_M5
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta View Post
Did it come from ukraine ?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 02:06 PM   #53
dcohen13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

My friend owns Carbontastic. I can get any forum member special pricing. Instead of the carbon fiber route, I asked him to create me a full leather wheel. Perforated sides and smooth leather on top and bottom. Finished with blue leather 12 o clock stripe, and M colored stitching. This wheel has the heating function, as I wanted to retain that. He can make full carbon, suede, I just wanted full leather for daily driving. We finished it off with a matte carbon trim piece. All steering wheels are BMW factory cores.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Jambo1257.50
afo818254.50
      09-14-2023, 09:54 PM   #54
dcohen13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Installed!
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
f90.kar94.50
Jambo1257.50
afo818254.50
M_Torx328.00
F30Andy1774.00
      09-14-2023, 11:16 PM   #55
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcohen13 View Post
Installed!
Install photos are the ones that do this justice. The wheel looks fantastic!

I’m curious as to whether you considered if this change to the shape would change driving dynamics? Or perhaps it doesn’t? Tone is hard to convey on the internet and I’m not trying to be a smart ass! You’ve done some intense driving in this car, as well as some rallies, so I (and I’m sure a lot of us) would love to hear your first hand experience. I see these shaped wheels in the M5 every now and then and always wonder this.

EDIT — I know a lot of performance cars come with OE wheels this shape, but I always wondered if the circular design was better for the F90 in some way since that’s what the OE is, or whether this is better, or it makes no difference.
      09-15-2023, 08:16 AM   #56
dcohen13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
Install photos are the ones that do this justice. The wheel looks fantastic!

I’m curious as to whether you considered if this change to the shape would change driving dynamics? Or perhaps it doesn’t? Tone is hard to convey on the internet and I’m not trying to be a smart ass! You’ve done some intense driving in this car, as well as some rallies, so I (and I’m sure a lot of us) would love to hear your first hand experience. I see these shaped wheels in the M5 every now and then and always wonder this.

EDIT — I know a lot of performance cars come with OE wheels this shape, but I always wondered if the circular design was better for the F90 in some way since that’s what the OE is, or whether this is better, or it makes no difference.
Your questions are totally understandable and justified as well! To start, I can say the following:

The wheel I changed too, is a firmer material, in other words, less padding (squishiness). For long boring drives, this could bother some people who prefer the memory foam like touch to the supple BMW leather. As for shape, I prefer this style for canyon runs/track days and harder driving. The shape we went with is the modified aggressive shape. It is not over the top, but adds deeper cuts on the sides for gripping towards 9/3 oclock. The flatter bottom wheel gives more room, when I change my seat setting for track time. Not that I ever had my knees hit the OEM wheel, but just in case. While most go with suede and carbon, I wanted to keep this as OEM+ as possible. I prefer the full leather, but accented perforated on sides, for better grip when my hands sweat.

Finally, I kept the heating function. This was a $200 option, but I felt for resale value and added comfort on the few times a year that the temperature drops below 55 degrees in Orange County, CA lol...

If anyone is interested, I can put you directly in touch with the owner of the company.
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2023, 01:24 PM   #57
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Your questions are totally understandable and justified as well! To start, I can say the following:

The wheel I changed too, is a firmer material, in other words, less padding (squishiness). For long boring drives, this could bother some people who prefer the memory foam like touch to the supple BMW leather. As for shape, I prefer this style for canyon runs/track days and harder driving. The shape we went with is the modified aggressive shape. It is not over the top, but adds deeper cuts on the sides for gripping towards 9/3 oclock. The flatter bottom wheel gives more room, when I change my seat setting for track time. Not that I ever had my knees hit the OEM wheel, but just in case. While most go with suede and carbon, I wanted to keep this as OEM+ as possible. I prefer the full leather, but accented perforated on sides, for better grip when my hands sweat.

Finally, I kept the heating function. This was a $200 option, but I felt for resale value and added comfort on the few times a year that the temperature drops below 55 degrees in Orange County, CA lol...

If anyone is interested, I can put you directly in touch with the owner of the company.
Thank you’d taking the time to respond and for providing great information and such a clear answer.

This is great insight that we’ll all benefit from.
      09-16-2023, 12:23 AM   #58
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Really a beautiful wheel I think it came out great and awesome feedback on the shape. I’d be interested in talking to them. Can they also retain the DAP functionality and heating like AZA does? I’d much rather stay local if it’s possible. Thanks!
Appreciate 2
      09-18-2023, 07:51 AM   #59
dcohen13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Really a beautiful wheel I think it came out great and awesome feedback on the shape. I’d be interested in talking to them. Can they also retain the DAP functionality and heating like AZA does? I’d much rather stay local if it’s possible. Thanks!
They are able to retain whatever features you would like to have. I kept the heating functionality, but my car was not equipped with the DAP, so I never had that to begin with.
Appreciate 1
jm490519.00
      09-18-2023, 07:52 AM   #60
dcohen13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Use code: 10DANTHEMANM5 on https://www.realcarbontastic.com/

Eric is the owner. He can answer any questions through their online email address.
Appreciate 1
jm490519.00
      09-18-2023, 08:04 AM   #61
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
They are able to retain whatever features you would like to have. I kept the heating functionality, but my car was not equipped with the DAP, so I never had that to begin with.
Awesome thank you! I emailed his info@ address. Waiting to hear back. Looking forward to it. Definitely like that its made stateside and can retain all functions. Havent seen many others besides AZA do it with quality and all functions.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 12:49 PM   #62
dcohen13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awesome thank you! I emailed his info@ address. Waiting to hear back. Looking forward to it. Definitely like that its made stateside and can retain all functions. Havent seen many others besides AZA do it with quality and all functions.
I will text him and let him know you reached out!
Appreciate 1
jm490519.00
      09-18-2023, 02:29 PM   #63
SheikhX4MC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M5 Comp

How are you liking your wheel and how many weeks did yours take to arrive? I also would prefer to order stateside and am deeply contemplating buying a wheel.
22' BMW X4M Comp - Sold
18' BMW M550xi - Sold

Last edited by SheikhX4MC; 09-18-2023 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 03:26 PM   #64
SheikhX4MC
Private
Rep

Quote:
I will text him and let him know you reached out!
Also, what year F90 do you have and are there any differences between LCI and non LCI steering wheels? I see on carbontastic the listing is shown as BMW g series which probably has interchangeable wheels, I just want to make sure there are no differences.
22' BMW X4M Comp - Sold
18' BMW M550xi - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 09:33 PM   #65
dcohen13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheikhX4MC View Post
Also, what year F90 do you have and are there any differences between LCI and non LCI steering wheels? I see on carbontastic the listing is shown as BMW g series which probably has interchangeable wheels, I just want to make sure there are no differences.
I have a 2019. I believe the LCI has a different button layout. I do not believe the core changes, but I would like him know which year you have, and he will make sure it is correct.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2023, 02:18 PM   #66
SheikhX4MC
Private
Rep

Quote:
I have a 2019. I believe the LCI has a different button layout. I do not believe the core changes, but I would like him know which year you have, and he will make sure it is correct.
Sweet, I ordered a wheel and used your 10% promo code, many thanks. I will follow up here with updates as the wheel gets made and installed. Will also leave a review of quality and drive feel with some photos! Went with D shaped, perforated leather sides, standard leather top/bottom. Matte carbon trim and extended shifters with red +/-. M tri color stitching and M tri color striping at the top. Should be a good looking wheel!!
22' BMW X4M Comp - Sold
18' BMW M550xi - Sold
Appreciate 2
dcohen13682.00