BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Meth injection Hydrolock scare. How do I diagnose potential damage?

09-02-2021, 12:14 AM   #1
ApFiore
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F01 Msport

Exclamation Meth injection Hydrolock scare. How do I diagnose potential damage?

Tonight I filled my 1g meth tank at the gas station and drove about a mile before I started to get some very odd engine feedback which turned into a CEL and some major engine shaking then a drop in power.

Pulled over and for some reason my meth controller had malfunctioned and sprayed almost half a gallon of meth over the 1 mile or so drive at 30ish MPH.

I immediate pulled the plug on the pump and waited about 5 min. Fired it up and it was running really rough. Had to get off the highway so limped back to the gas station.

Parked at the gas station and let it sit for about 15min. Fired it up and it sounded somewhat normal. Alittle hesitation until a normal idle but seemed ok running for about 10 min.

Decided to drive it home and it was seemingly normal although I babied it all 30 miles home.

CEL is still on but it seems to be “normal” at the moment.

What type of diagnosis/service check etc can I do to make sure everything burned off and I didn’t do any permanent damage?

Needless to say im going to be looking for a new meth controller or possibly removing the entire setup.

Thanks for any info or advice.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 07:07 AM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Nothing you can do short of a leakdown test. But I would probably change the oil since most of the extra fuel probably washed the walls and ended up in the sump.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 07:38 AM   #3
MTHX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335XI MPerformance edition

Garage List
2018 F90M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApFiore View Post
Tonight I filled my 1g meth tank at the gas station and drove about a mile before I started to get some very odd engine feedback which turned into a CEL and some major engine shaking then a drop in power.

Pulled over and for some reason my meth controller had malfunctioned and sprayed almost half a gallon of meth over the 1 mile or so drive at 30ish MPH.

I immediate pulled the plug on the pump and waited about 5 min. Fired it up and it was running really rough. Had to get off the highway so limped back to the gas station.

Parked at the gas station and let it sit for about 15min. Fired it up and it sounded somewhat normal. Alittle hesitation until a normal idle but seemed ok running for about 10 min.

Decided to drive it home and it was seemingly normal although I babied it all 30 miles home.

CEL is still on but it seems to be “normal” at the moment.

What type of diagnosis/service check etc can I do to make sure everything burned off and I didn’t do any permanent damage?

Needless to say im going to be looking for a new meth controller or possibly removing the entire setup.

Thanks for any info or advice.
what is your nozzle size?
where are they located?

For the engine blup blup, go away after a little ride normally (without meth) and change your oil soon.

maybe you are injecting too much at low boost.
try to push meth at 19 / 21 psi at starting point,

F30 2015 335XI MPerformance edition - Lacuna Seca Blue //

F30 2015 335XI MPerformance edition - Grey black //

F90 2018 M5 - Donington Grey
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 09:27 AM   #4
ApFiore
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHX View Post
what is your nozzle size?
where are they located?

For the engine blup blup, go away after a little ride normally (without meth) and change your oil soon.

maybe you are injecting too much at low boost.
try to push meth at 19 / 21 psi at starting point,

It’s a burger meth kit, so whatever nozzle size that is. It’s run fine since install about 2 months ago. I went away from the JB4 controller that came with it though and am using an AEM unit that apparently works off of system voltage.

Two knobs that range between 0-8. First knob controls voltage of when the spray starts and second controls when spray stops. They have always been at 3/7 but somehow last night they were moved.

Not the fault of the controller apparently but still a really dumb setup and not sure why my tech decided to install this specific controller. I’m going to get it swapped out for something alittle more user friendly.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 10:28 AM   #5
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

The great thing about the BMS controller is that it ties into the OBD2 and has safeguards. I wish it also had flow control like Aquamist HFS4, but it is still probably safer than any other.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 05:41 PM   #6
AngryInch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

Lucky you didn’t bend a rod. Do a compression test.

Cylinder walls would have been washed off of oil. Could have potentially caused some damage there. I’d check with a scope in the spark plug hole.

Like others said. Change that oil right away.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 10:36 AM   #7
ApFiore
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys. Car is in for oil change and going to have them look into everything suggested
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 06:45 AM   #8
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

wow, meth injection not worth the headache.

I have to deal with the other Meth too often at work.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 10:50 AM   #9
Jakerx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
…since most of the extra fuel probably washed the walls and ended up in the sump.
Can you explain how this would have happened?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 12:19 PM   #10
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Meth is fuel like gasoline, but rather than being precisely injected into only the cylinders in which the pistons are near top dead center, it is fogged into all cylinders simultaneously. Engine stumbles because more meth/fuel than can be burned under these circumstances—when the meth flow is faulty and uncontrolled. Probably some of the extra just blows out the cylinders with the open exhaust valves but enough meth is in some cylinders at times and not being burnt that it leaks past the piston sealing rings and washes down the cylinder walls.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 02:06 PM   #11
Jakerx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Meth is fuel like gasoline, but rather than being precisely injected into only the cylinders in which the pistons are near top dead center, it is fogged into all cylinders simultaneously. Engine stumbles because more meth/fuel than can be burned under these circumstances—when the meth flow is faulty and uncontrolled. Probably some of the extra just blows out the cylinders with the open exhaust valves but enough meth is in some cylinders at times and not being burnt that it leaks past the piston sealing rings and washes down the cylinder walls.
Thanks for the explanation. I understand what meth is, I’m just surprised that any meth or other fuel would make it past the piston rings in an engine that is only a few years old at the most. I guess an oil change is cheap insurance, though.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 04:38 PM   #12
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Send the oil out for an analysis and see what is in it. Maybe it all went out the exhaust valves. But in general the concern with running too rich or investing water or excess meth flow is that it ends up in the oil. You wrote that you used 1/2 gallon in 1 mile at low load driving so that is a huge amount of extra fuel.

I have tried to free up motors before that have sat for a long time by spraying penetrant and pouring oil into the cylinder. The oil does not stay long. It seems to pass through the rings. I would think fuel would go through faster.
Appreciate 0