BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    M5 CS Evo Review by Jethro Bovingdon

06-11-2021, 07:15 AM   #67
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 CS + other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
you guys are over analyzing this. If you didn't buy one, cool. If you bought one, great. Sounds likea bunch of people bitching about the price tag. All these cars are overpriced, 5 years from now they'll barely be worth 50. Move on.
My observation also. I doubt many buyers gave it so much thought.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2021, 09:24 AM   #68
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

Have they solved the awful squeaking brake issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 10:57 AM   #69
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
The M5 Competition LCI is just such a stellar car, im still unsure if the CS raises the stakes, and the bar, that much higher, for the £+$ involved ?.I know Joe Achilles CS video will be along soon, so a real life POV will be a welcome comparison.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 04:04 PM   #70
Phiberoptik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

As most thing CS is worth it over the Competition if you deem it so and from all the reviews it does feel like it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 12:35 AM   #71
bimmerbeast7
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5C - '04 m3 manual coupe

Nothing can touch the M5C. and an average person would say an m5c looks better. Only an M5 competition owner would know what the m5CS is and that its better. ferrari and lambo have so many variants it turns me off from even aspiring bc theres always a 1up and especiale or some shit above your model you paid $400k-700k for.. no thanks. it seems disloyal and gimmicky

the m5 attracts me bc theres customization, but theres only one m5
and then the comp model

i chose the m5c due to ability to order,
But if I had the option and ability to order a CS i dont like the gold accents and wheels.

i have CCB's so if the CS has a passenger and im solo... im lighter

i dont care about suspension tweaks and i wanted black

and no driver assist pkg and no exex pkg. im saving 50lbs plus from wiring and motors and massagers and seat heaters etc.
Appreciate 1
Egrunt548.50
      06-14-2021, 12:48 AM   #72
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbeast7 View Post

I have CCB's so if the CS has a passenger and im solo... im lighter
Very well said comparing an M5 Comp with Carbon brakes and the M5 CS.
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 01:48 AM   #73
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
You beat me to posting it
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 01:55 AM   #74
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Nothing can touch the M5C. and an average person would say an m5c looks better. Only an M5 competition owner would know what the m5CS is and that its better. ferrari and lambo have so many variants it turns me off from even aspiring bc theres always a 1up and especiale or some shit above your model you paid $400k-700k for.. no thanks. it seems disloyal and gimmicky

and then the comp model

But if I had the option and ability to order a CS i dont like the gold accents and wheels.

and no driver assist pkg and no exex pkg. im saving 50lbs plus from wiring and motors and massagers and seat heaters etc.
That’s about the size of it, sounds very similar to myself
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 09:45 AM   #75
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Why do so many M5C owners feel that they have to justify why they don't like/want the M5CS?

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2021, 10:06 AM   #76
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
Why do so many M5C owners feel that they have to justify why they don't like/want the M5CS?
It’s called ‘cognitive dissonance’ ….pretty well described actually
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 10:23 AM   #77
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiberoptik View Post
As most thing CS is worth it over the Competition if you deem it so and from all the reviews it does feel like it's worth it.
For a couple of tenths to 62 MPH.............. NOPE just a BMW money pit and here in the UK will be £30K cheaper to buy in 3 month.
      06-14-2021, 10:34 AM   #78
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
For a couple of tenths to 62 MPH.............. NOPE just a BMW money pit and here in the UK will be £30K cheaper to buy in 3 month.
In the UK, the price differential adds some legitimacy to the comparison. In the USA, the price difference is minor and therefore it’s entirely personal preference. Both M5C and M5 CS for what they are, present very good value IMO
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 10:44 AM   #79
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
I own a 2019 M5 Comp and I think the M5 CS will be a great car. I caution those potential owners who have not gone to a dealership and actually sat in the carbon bucket seats to do so. That hump in the middle near your crotch is going to be annoying when you are driving daily going back and forth from gas to brakes. Also, do you have a partner that you take often in the passenger seat, how are they going to like the fact that they can't cross their legs when sitting there. Also, with the high seat bolsters exiting the car could be tricky with a woman wearing a skirt. The sports seats are not right for everybody and it could be a costly mistake.
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5

Last edited by Greer; 06-14-2021 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 2
Egrunt548.50
      06-14-2021, 10:46 AM   #80
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malrash View Post
In the UK, the price differential adds some legitimacy to the comparison. In the USA, the price difference is minor and therefore it’s entirely personal preference. Both M5C and M5 CS for what they are, present very good value IMO
Exactly this. The M5 Comp is so good in itself, we are just discussing if it’s worth the difference, and because the £ difference is so large here. I don’t think it is. I could have a virtually new M4 F82 Comp for the difference £. The other point is, would you rather have a 992 Turbo S or equivalent, for around £18k more. We all love BMW here, but the prices are starting to get, well, frankly, ridiculous.
Appreciate 1
Egrunt548.50
      06-14-2021, 11:02 AM   #81
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Exactly this. The M5 Comp is so good in itself, we are just discussing if it’s worth the difference, and because the £ difference is so large here. I don’t think it is. I could have a virtually new M4 F82 Comp for the difference £. The other point is, would you rather have a 992 Turbo S or equivalent, for around £18k more. We all love BMW here, but the prices are starting to get, well, frankly, ridiculous.
Agree with every word.
      06-14-2021, 11:31 AM   #82
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:

and then the comp model

Ok, why did you buy a Comp car then? Why not just the base M5? Based on your logic, the comp model should be "gimmicky and disloyal"

And how are you jumping from M5 to exotic pricing? No comparison, at all, in any way.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 11:42 AM   #83
CosmicCharlie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M5 comp, '24 X7 m60i

Quote:
I think it's actually just a vocal minority- similar to how we heard a lot from owners of pre-LCI cars about how pointless/less attractive the LCI is. Happens every time something better and cooler is released.

Personally- I'm waiting with baited breath to see delivery pics of your CS and driving impressions.
Appreciate 2
Ex_Stig2562.50
Chicane_1048.50
      06-14-2021, 12:57 PM   #84
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
I'm starting to believe less and less that this car will experience massive depreciation, at least not in the U.S. as long as the car stays limited. All the reviews indicate its a pretty special driving experience, i guess the question is just if the M5 CS buyer is an M5C buyer. Seems like its more of a sports car buyer than an M5C buyer.
Appreciate 1
Chicane_1048.50
      06-14-2021, 02:07 PM   #85
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 CS + other stuff

Weight savings vs the M5C per European articles is 70kg while I've seen 230 pounds (105 kgs) quoted in US publications. Does it make sense that North American cars benefit from a larger weight savings (no OPFs?) or is this a misprint?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 03:43 PM   #86
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Quote:
I can't speak for anyone else, but my reasons for being skeptical / critical of the M5CS are as follows.

First, BMW hyped the CS as being a 'ring champ, but so far everything we have seen suggests it is well behind the AMG GT 63S and Porsche Panamera Turbo S, not to mention the just released Tesla Plaid. I would like to see BMW live up to the hype.

Second, I likely would not have purchased a CS even if it had been available at the time I wanted / needed a new car. I purchased my M5C as a road trip car, so the self driving features and massage and ventilated seats were important features. However, the CS was billed as having higher performance than the Comp. I was therefore interested in learning about the higher performance parts that I could potentially install on my Comp. It now appears that the main sources of higher performance are (1) suspension parts that appear to be shared with the Comp; (2) slight engine tuning; and (3) weight reduction associated with the seats (which I don't want), the CCB brakes about which I am ambivalent since I don't plan to track my car, and the CF hood (which might be interesting, but not at the likely price of $10K). The other CS exclusive parts are mostly cosmetic like the gold wheels and CF spoilers and mirror caps.

In short, I am not bashing the CS or justifying my not purchasing it. I am just disappointed that the CS did not turn out to be a roadmap for tuning and upgrading my Comp.

While the aesthetics of the CS do not appeal to me, I think it is a fine car and at least based on US pricing, it looks like a reasonable deal, particularly for anyone who wants all the CF goodies as those alone would raise the price of a Comp to CS level.
Appreciate 3
      06-14-2021, 05:11 PM   #87
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by irablumberg View Post
I can't speak for anyone else, but my reasons for being skeptical / critical of the M5CS are as follows.

First, BMW hyped the CS as being a 'ring champ, but so far everything we have seen suggests it is well behind the AMG GT 63S and Porsche Panamera Turbo S, not to mention the just released Tesla Plaid. I would like to see BMW live up to the hype.

Second, I likely would not have purchased a CS even if it had been available at the time I wanted / needed a new car. I purchased my M5C as a road trip car, so the self driving features and massage and ventilated seats were important features. However, the CS was billed as having higher performance than the Comp. I was therefore interested in learning about the higher performance parts that I could potentially install on my Comp. It now appears that the main sources of higher performance are (1) suspension parts that appear to be shared with the Comp; (2) slight engine tuning; and (3) weight reduction associated with the seats (which I don't want), the CCB brakes about which I am ambivalent since I don't plan to track my car, and the CF hood (which might be interesting, but not at the likely price of $10K). The other CS exclusive parts are mostly cosmetic like the gold wheels and CF spoilers and mirror caps.

In short, I am not bashing the CS or justifying my not purchasing it. I am just disappointed that the CS did not turn out to be a roadmap for tuning and upgrading my Comp.

While the aesthetics of the CS do not appeal to me, I think it is a fine car and at least based on US pricing, it looks like a reasonable deal, particularly for anyone who wants all the CF goodies as those alone would raise the price of a Comp to CS level.
I'm surprised by the ring results vs the competition too. AMG GT is much heavier. I'm sure the M5 CS would easily beat the Panamera and the AMG GT in a straight line, but it was designed "in the ring", with apparently no other vehicle as a benchmark, so that factory time would be great to see.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 06:32 PM   #88
ABenLauda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post

Not to mention Joe Achillies is a huge BMW fanboy and I've never seen him criticize a BMW so I always take his reviews with a huge grain of salt.
He's BMW's bitch!