BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Start/Stop set to "off" by default

06-22-2022, 10:19 PM   #1
TFBravo
Some Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 GX460, 2022 M5C

Garage List
Start/Stop set to "off" by default

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Like the title says. The light on the start/stop button is always on when turning the car on and driving just in default mode not the M1/2 button modes. I know most people hate that feature, but isn't it suppose to be on by default and then if you want it off you can press the button, the light will come on and the car won't shut off while stopped in "D". But the light is on automatically, even on warm engine. Normally on cold engine a start stop with a line going through it should appear, but in my case it only appears when I press the button to turn it off and then on again.

Anyone experienced this? Car is still new with only 1600 miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 07:40 AM   #2
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFBravo View Post
Like the title says. The light on the start/stop button is always on when turning the car on and driving just in default mode not the M1/2 button modes. I know most people hate that feature, but isn't it suppose to be on by default and then if you want it off you can press the button, the light will come on and the car won't shut off while stopped in "D". But the light is on automatically, even on warm engine. Normally on cold engine a start stop with a line going through it should appear, but in my case it only appears when I press the button to turn it off and then on again.

Coded it off day one so no. Sorry.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 12:03 PM   #3
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:

The lci models have start stop memory built in, aka if it's off when you turn the car off it'll be off when you turn it back on, if it's on when you turn the car off it'll be on when you turn it back on, also most cars don't give a crap about engine being warm (bmw being one of them) so if you have it on it'll literally turn off the second you stop after hitting like 10 mph. So yes this is normal, 2 start stop is horrible for the engine so you'd want it off anyway lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 12:06 PM   #4
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Coded it off day one so no. Sorry.
If you had an lci, it's coded into the car to remember the last setting anyway, no need to actively code it (I was like wtf why is my cars stop start off? I was expecting to have to turn it off but then it just stayed off after the first time I did it.) Coding on the car still says start stop memory is off so it's stored somewhere else than say on the pre lci or f10 models maybe the dme?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 11:18 PM   #5
TFBravo
Some Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 GX460, 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
The lci models have start stop memory built in, aka if it's off when you turn the car off it'll be off when you turn it back on, if it's on when you turn the car off it'll be on when you turn it back on, also most cars don't give a crap about engine being warm (bmw being one of them) so if you have it on it'll literally turn off the second you stop after hitting like 10 mph. So yes this is normal, 2 start stop is horrible for the engine so you'd want it off anyway lol.
Pretty sure its just me not being used to the car. Maybe you're right with the memory of the button, the only thing is I thought this was a federally mandated feature hence why on all the cars every time you hard cycle the ignition, the default would be on. The function came on today during consecutive drives, so I don't think its a memory feature.

And 100% the feature won't work if the engine and fluids are still warming up, had the same thing in the AMG, where it stated in the manual, pretty sure it states that in the BMW manual. In the AMG thought you could not override it if the engine was cold, it just wouldn't work, it think the BMW if you cycle the button it might activate even on a cold engine. Will have to test that.

I'm not worried about engine reliability, its a myth since the stop/start vehicles come with more robust ignition components. But it seems that the function does not turn on for me until I get to do multiple consecutive drives, my first drive to work is about 14 miles and it never turns on which is nice.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 11:58 PM   #6
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Pretty sure its just me not being used to the car. Maybe you're right with the memory of the button, the only thing is I thought this was a federally mandated feature hence why on all the cars every time you hard cycle the ignition, the default would be on. The function came on today during consecutive drives, so I don't think its a memory feature.

And 100% the feature won't work if the engine and fluids are still warming up, had the same thing in the AMG, where it stated in the manual, pretty sure it states that in the BMW manual. In the AMG thought you could not override it if the engine was cold, it just wouldn't work, it think the BMW if you cycle the button it might activate even on a cold engine. Will have to test that.

I'm not worried about engine reliability, its a myth since the stop/start vehicles come with more robust ignition components. But it seems that the function does not turn on for me until I get to do multiple consecutive drives, my first drive to work is about 14 miles and it never turns on which is nice.
Well on my car, I pressed the button once to turn it off at the delivery center and it's been off ever since. Never turned back on on its own.

Until fluids warm up is a very broad term, are we talking coolant temp with dead cold oil? Fully warmed up oil? Halfway warmed up coolant? Lots of different scenarios, and I can't really say for myself since I never use it. But in a rental jaguar xf with the supercharged v6? It would turn off at the end of my street which us about 100 feet.

We can agree to disagree on that, it's not the ignition components that are the issue, heck even the starter might be fine, the main issue is the wear and tear between metal parts of the engine that don't have an oil film to separate them (and youre gonna say everything is coated in oil so its fine, and yes while it's less wear than a cold start, you still need a split second to get oil pressure to push the rods and crank away from the bearings they rest on when the engine is off) as well as potentially the top end where the oil has drained down if left off long enough (and it doesn't take that long) but hey I'm not gonna tell you how to drive your car. Just gonna put this in as a closing remark: when I went to do my performance delivery, first thing they asked us to do was turn stop start off for the track vehicles since "you're gonna be stopping a lot and there's no reason to put so much wear and tear on these cars" and even when we were in the m340 doing the skid pad, were told to just leave em on since it's better to idle than to turn em off and back on again.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 12:54 AM   #7
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
We can agree to disagree on that, it's not the ignition components that are the issue, heck even the starter might be fine, the main issue is the wear and tear between metal parts of the engine that don't have an oil film to separate them (and youre gonna say everything is coated in oil so its fine, and yes while it's less wear than a cold start, you still need a split second to get oil pressure to push the rods and crank away from the bearings they rest on when the engine is off) as well as potentially the top end where the oil has drained down if left off long enough (and it doesn't take that long)
Actually, I'm pretty sure it's fine. The rods and crank don't rest on the bearings, there is in fact a film of oil (just as you suspected) in between. Engine theory aside, there is a ridiculous amount of testing that goes into these systems. In practice, I think there is really no discernable difference in wear over the realistic life of the car. The additional wear from this feature across the entire starting system is definitely greater than zero but not enough to worry about...the car will die from something else long before this is a problem.

That said, I don't like the auto off feature and my 2019 M5C does not permanently remember if I turn it off and neither can it be coded to stay off. Sort of a pet peeve, really.
      06-24-2022, 01:10 AM   #8
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpsy View Post
Actually, I'm pretty sure it's fine. The rods and crank don't rest on the bearings, there is in fact a film of oil (just as you suspected) in between. Engine theory aside, there is a ridiculous amount of testing that goes into these systems. In practice, I think there is really no discernable difference in wear over the realistic life of the car. The additional wear from this feature across the entire starting system is definitely greater than zero but not enough to worry about...the car will die from something else long before this is a problem.

That said, I don't like the auto off feature and my 2019 M5C does not permanently remember if I turn it off and neither can it be coded to stay off. Sort of a pet peeve, really.
You should definitely be able to code it off, the f10 was possible and there is a function for start stop off in the coding software from what I've seen looking around.

And it's not that I'm suspecting, I'm well aware how engines work, and from what it seems like you do too, so you know that it's the oil pressure that really maintains that clearance at which point you achieve hydrodynamic lubrication instead of boundary lubrication during startup and shutdown. And you are correct it doesn't add significant wear to someone that doesn't plan to keep the car which is why I'm not really getting into it lol, the cars are designed to last say 60k miles for the average user and that's about it, around 100k you start getting your major failures (seals, hoses, pumps) and I'd say around 150k it's time for bearings and such assuming proper maintenance was done. (Significantly less if you're using the start stop imo)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 04:18 AM   #9
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

I have a 2020 pre-LCI.

My car remembers the previous setting when you shut down. I turned off Start/Stop on day 1 and it has not turned on since then.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 08:28 AM   #10
Boiler Up!
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

As others have stated, LCI will remember the last start/stop setting in the default startup mode. If you're using M1 or M2, you'll need to ensure that you select your desired start/stop behavior in the M mode configuration.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 10:48 AM   #11
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
You should definitely be able to code it off, the f10 was possible and there is a function for start stop off in the coding software from what I've seen looking around.

And it's not that I'm suspecting, I'm well aware how engines work, and from what it seems like you do too, so you know that it's the oil pressure that really maintains that clearance at which point you achieve hydrodynamic lubrication instead of boundary lubrication during startup and shutdown. And you are correct it doesn't add significant wear to someone that doesn't plan to keep the car which is why I'm not really getting into it lol, the cars are designed to last say 60k miles for the average user and that's about it, around 100k you start getting your major failures (seals, hoses, pumps) and I'd say around 150k it's time for bearings and such assuming proper maintenance was done. (Significantly less if you're using the start stop imo)
That's fair. I'll just add that, if you rack up enough miles, at some point will need replace the bearings and start/stop isn't going to really change when that is going to happen. If anything, I'd be concerned about shortening the lifetime of the electrical components.

I haven't looked into coding the on/off feature in a long time, I'm definitely going to revisit.
Thank you.
      06-27-2022, 01:14 PM   #12
TimmyBHGM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

disabled this feature from day 1 using BimmerCode, the car have never once auto stopped and started
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 07:39 AM   #13
italiabrain
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 Comp

I don’t understand what the deal is with all the references to LCI and coding, neither are needed for start/stop to stay off. I bought a non-LCI comp as soon it was out, hit the button once and never dealt with it again.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2022, 07:43 AM   #14
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiabrain View Post
I don’t understand what the deal is with all the references to LCI and coding, neither are needed for start/stop to stay off. I bought a non-LCI comp as soon it was out, hit the button once and never dealt with it again.
Yup. Me too.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 11:02 AM   #15
Dark-Knight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

doesnt the button around the start button turn this off permanently?
Appreciate 0