BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Advice dealing with service dept

02-19-2021, 09:51 AM   #1
cmhsam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Advice dealing with service dept

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
hey everyone,

need some advice from the experts. My M5 is at the dealer to get the rear differential bearings replaced since the car was making a whistling noise at high speeds. The car has been with dealer for the past two weeks. The dealer told me it will be 7-10 days to get the car fixed and returned to me. They were kind enough to give me a loaner.

Yesterday i checked with the service department and they had no updates on the car or parts. I asked if they knew if the parts had arrived at their warehouse and the service advisor said they checked and have no idea if the parts were received or where the part is at the current time. Apparently there are no tracking numbers?

Net the service advisor said we dont know where the parts are or when we will able to give you the car back. She stated to just hang tight and ride it out and that hopefully i will have the car back soon.

To say i am pissed is an understatement (first world problems right?). I know these cars have problems, had the F10 and dealt with the whole fuel pump issue and stop drive, and even other high end sports cars. Issue I have is they are not providing any information and basically throwing their hands up and saying nothing we can do just wait it out until you get your car back.

Any ideas outside of escalating to management?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 10:25 AM   #2
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Well that is unacceptable to me. I can understand a delay getting parts, but not to even know if the parts have been received is unacceptable. That is the first question needing to be answered and they need to answer it. If they find the parts have been delivered that is one issue you can work through with the dealership. If they do not, then they should be able to get a tracking number after two weeks, but there is less they can do if they are just waiting on parts.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 10:38 AM   #3
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tesla Model S

Most dealer websites have email addresses listed for the service manager and the dealership’s general manager. I would find the email for both, and send a polite but concerned email to get their attention and involvement. If you have a history of buying BMW’s I might reference that too, and express your ongoing frustration with the current state of affairs. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, but when done in a polite manner, I have found the effect to be even greater.
Appreciate 1
Alcenos143.00
      02-19-2021, 12:27 PM   #4
cmhsam
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Well that is unacceptable to me. I can understand a delay getting parts, but not to even know if the parts have been received is unacceptable. That is the first question needing to be answered and they need to answer it. If they find the parts have been delivered that is one issue you can work through with the dealership. If they do not, then they should be able to get a tracking number after two weeks, but there is less they can do if they are just waiting on parts.
Agreed. I am hoping the email I sent today moves the ball forward. FYI - its Classic BMW if you ever have to use their service department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post
Most dealer websites have email addresses listed for the service manager and the dealership’s general manager. I would find the email for both, and send a polite but concerned email to get their attention and involvement. If you have a history of buying BMW’s I might reference that too, and express your ongoing frustration with the current state of affairs. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, but when done in a polite manner, I have found the effect to be even greater.
I did go and find out there info and emailed them this AM. I appreciate the advice and am hoping it makes a difference. I was shocked to hear the lack of information from the service department and if they basically just tell their customers this on the normal.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 12:43 PM   #5
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

working in the auto industry, i've learned getting parts are a disaster. all sorts of reasons.

i waited 6 months for an aston martin fender before.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2021, 01:24 PM   #6
cmhsam
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
working in the auto industry, i've learned getting parts are a disaster. all sorts of reasons.

yikes! thats a lot of waiting ... you must be more patient than me
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 01:31 PM   #7
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Do you mean Classic in Plano, Tx? I considered using them for service because they are so close. I will probably just go to Sewell in Grapevine.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 01:49 PM   #8
cmhsam
Major
Rep

Quote:
Do you mean Classic in Plano, Tx? I considered using them for service because they are so close. I will probably just go to Sewell in Grapevine.
Correct. Classic BMW in Plano.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 02:32 PM   #9
cmhsam
Major
Rep

Update - Director of Service basically stated, the part was ordered on this date, but dont know when it will come in or when your car will be ready.

Thanks!

That was the response.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 02:35 PM   #10
bcparker2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (F90)

Always pick a Sewell dealership when possible they run a tight ship here in Houston and I wish they owned a bmw dealer here. Not sure how they do on pricing but their service tech advisors have to make contact daily when your car is in the shop or they get into trouble. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 02:43 PM   #11
cmhsam
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcparker2 View Post
Always pick a Sewell dealership when possible they run a tight ship here in Houston and I wish they owned a bmw dealer here. Not sure how they do on pricing but their service tech advisors have to make contact daily when your car is in the shop or they get into trouble. Good luck.
Good to know. I think they have no shortage of money here in Dallas so they dont necessarily care at Classic BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 02:46 PM   #12
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcparker2 View Post
Yeah my wife takes her car to Sewell even though Classic is much much closer. Sewell offered her a decent deal when she purchased the car a few years ago. She probably could have got a better deal, but they had the car she wanted on the lot.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 03:40 PM   #13
cmhsam
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah my wife takes her car to Sewell even though Classic is much much closer. Sewell offered her a decent deal when she purchased the car a few years ago. She probably could have got a better deal, but they had the car she wanted on the lot.
Am looking around the DFW Market and not much available, unless i want to spend $140K. At that price point i would have a lot of other options.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 04:54 PM   #14
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsam View Post
Quote:
Am looking around the DFW Market and not much available, unless i want to spend $140K. At that price point i would have a lot of other options.
What else are you considering? I ordered a car as I could not find the color combination even after having a dealer perform a national search. I was considering the new MB S Class, but the decided to go with the M5. I never considered a sports car. I have had my fill of climbing out of small cars and need the space of a sedan.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 05:08 PM   #15
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

simple solution , pick your car up , drive it till they contact you upon arrival of part
then have job done
Appreciate 1
LSM1118.00
      02-19-2021, 05:09 PM   #16
cmhsam
Major
Rep

Quick update - they found my part at the local fedex warehouse. positive movement in the right direction. they dont know when fedex will deliver due to the storms in dallas this week but am hoping they can get it to them monday.

On a positive note I guess the advice of being a squeaky wheel worked so thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 07:36 AM   #17
Rcg412
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 91 Ford Aspire - stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post

This is a fact. Same issue with Porsche.

Just wait it out. Not like they don’t want to give the car back and get paid!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 08:00 AM   #18
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tesla Model S

I don’t doubt the supply chain for parts is more complicated due to Covid and other issues. My suggestion to email service dept manager and dealer GM is only to make sure the communication issues improved. Seemed to me part of the OP’s frustration was a lack of information or clarity as to what was going on, or the potential timeframes and outcomes.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 09:03 AM   #19
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

I believe life is about expectations. For me, I have found calmness when dealing with others because if I realize someone is an idiot, or lazy or mean I never expect anything less of them, and thus their behavior doesn't bother me. The moment it does I realize I'm slipping back into unrealistic expectations and forgetting their limitations.

If this is a dealer you have a history of similar interactions, whether good or bad (you are the judge), you have to expect more of the same. If you are cool with it, no stress. But reasonably so your expectations are higher, thus you need to either lower your expectations or find a new dealer that will meet your expectations, if that exists near you. If another dealer is a lot further, now it's a balancing act of lowering your expectations vs convenience.

I hope this is not a useless post, but hopefully maybe it's a different view that gives you the approach to make this ownership experience less stressful?

Good luck mate.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 5
POBA272.00
TAmes104.00
Swappy531.50
      02-21-2021, 10:29 PM   #20
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Any longer I would have started asking questions about payments for a car that you you're not being able to drive. Don't care if they provided a loaner or not, it's not the car you're paying for.

Either way hope they get the part installed soon.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 10:08 AM   #21
TAmes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
I believe life is about expectations. For me, I have found calmness when dealing with others because if I realize someone is an idiot, or lazy or mean I never expect anything less of them, and thus their behavior doesn't bother me. The moment it does I realize I'm slipping back into unrealistic expectations and forgetting their limitations.

If this is a dealer you have a history of similar interactions, whether good or bad (you are the judge), you have to expect more of the same. If you are cool with it, no stress. But reasonably so your expectations are higher, thus you need to either lower your expectations or find a new dealer that will meet your expectations, if that exists near you. If another dealer is a lot further, now it's a balancing act of lowering your expectations vs convenience.

I hope this is not a useless post, but hopefully maybe it's a different view that gives you the approach to make this ownership experience less stressful?

Good luck mate.

Cheers,
e46e92
^^^ Such great advice. Thanks for posting.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2021, 12:08 PM   #22
TXDroneRacer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp, 21 X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
What else are you considering? I ordered a car as I could not find the color combination even after having a dealer perform a national search. I was considering the new MB S Class, but the decided to go with the M5. I never considered a sports car. I have had my fill of climbing out of small cars and need the space of a sedan.
I can't help but comment that your [AHall] signature states that you drive a 93 Nissan 240sx. Do you use that for the track or is that your daily driver? I thought your comment was interesting... "fill of climbing out of small cars"
Appreciate 0