Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

2022 M5C

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
My 2018 M5 lease will be over in August. Really thinking of ordering a 2022 M5C but one of the things that I was hoping to solve is the high seating position and also the steering feel.

Have considered M8 GC, RS7, RS6, Taycan and E63S but nothing seems to be as complete package and value for a daily driver as the M5. I need 4 doors and usable back seat and cannot get over the looks of G80 M3. Considering this may be the last V8, 3 more years with the LCI and competition this time should give some differentiation from the previous 3 years.

So questions...

Does anybody know if 2022's will have carbon seats available as an option? Looking at the G80 M3 those seem to go pretty low. I am guessing the options will not be out until sometime in May.

Also from people who moved from a base pre-LCI M5 to an LCI comp, have you noticed any significant steering feel improvements? Is the car more "nimble"?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 01:43 PM   #2
messiry
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35, E60 530

Garage List
Did they change the steering in the LCI? I am not aware of that but would be great to know if the steering has more feedback. I tested a pre LCI comp and the steering is somehow disconnected or artificial - I am comparing with my F82 ZCP LCI.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 02:12 PM   #3
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by messiry View Post
Did they change the steering in the LCI? I am not aware of that but would be great to know if the steering has more feedback. I tested a pre LCI comp and the steering is somehow disconnected or artificial - I am comparing with my F82 ZCP LCI.
Not sure and have not been able to find one to test drive so a bit blind what the improvements would be considering I have a base pre LCI M5 going to LCI M5 comp.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 06:05 PM   #4
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav View Post
Quote:
Not sure and have not been able to find one to test drive so a bit blind what the improvements would be considering I have a base pre LCI M5 going to LCI M5 comp.
I put 22,500 miles on a 2019 base model. Loved the car overall, but it had a number of little dumb things that bugged me. The steering was not one if them.

Got into a 2021 comp just before Christmas and, I think, most of the improvements went into the suspension. I felt the pre-LCI comp ride was too harsh, but this car is much nicer than the base model was. Even with the suspension in sport or sport+.

After 5000 miles, I just put the summer tires back on. The steering has more feel, probably because the winters run a 265 width vs 275 on the summer.

Overall: Very pleased. Glad I was able to jump 18 months early. And the headlights look cool.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 08:58 PM   #5
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbimmer View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I put 22,500 miles on a 2019 base model. Loved the car overall, but it had a number of little dumb things that bugged me. The steering was not one if them.

Got into a 2021 comp just before Christmas and, I think, most of the improvements went into the suspension. I felt the pre-LCI comp ride was too harsh, but this car is much nicer than the base model was. Even with the suspension in sport or sport+.

After 5000 miles, I just put the summer tires back on. The steering has more feel, probably because the winters run a 265 width vs 275 on the summer.

Overall: Very pleased. Glad I was able to jump 18 months early. And the headlights look cool.
I appreciate the feedback. One thing to note, the M5 I currently have is the first car I have kept for more than 1-2 years. I really enjoy it, just trying to figure out if I can do another 3 years with the same without some improvements that make it at least feel different. Lower seating position and some steering and handling differences could possibly do that.

For me the 2018 M5 base is not stiff at all. I drive at sport suspension setting, so I wonder if the LCI M5 comp will be softer based on your comments.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 09:20 PM   #6
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
I also noticed the seating position is a tad too high, but I just figured if you're 6' most seating positions will feel a tad high. And there's probably no way they're going to start offering the G80 buckets in the M5. I wish tho.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 09:38 PM   #7
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

I was def not a fan but now the M3 Como awd would be compelling if I was looking for a sedan. Under 4000lbs and underrated.

I would only go with black as that hides the front
      04-25-2021, 12:25 AM   #8
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
I appreciate the feedback. One thing to note, the M5 I currently have is the first car I have kept for more than 1-2 years. I really enjoy it, just trying to figure out if I can do another 3 years with the same without some improvements that make it at least feel different. Lower seating position and some steering and handling differences could possibly do that.

For me the 2018 M5 base is not stiff at all. I drive at sport suspension setting, so I wonder if the LCI M5 comp will be softer based on your comments.
The M5C is not stiff IMO, but just less harsh. A very enjoyable ride in all 3 suspension modes. And the Comp version will definitely give you some subtle handling differences. I bought it for long trips on 2 lane roads. Its fine in the city, but really stands out on the road.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 09:16 AM   #9
messiry
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35, E60 530

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcai View Post
I also noticed the seating position is a tad too high, but I just figured if you're 6' most seating positions will feel a tad high. And there's probably no way they're going to start offering the G80 buckets in the M5. I wish tho.
BMW just started offering them on the M8 coupe. I won't be surprised if M5 gets them soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 09:57 AM   #10
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
BMW just started offering them on the M8 coupe. I won't be surprised if M5 gets them soon.
Yes, I saw that too (they are an option for 2022 M8 GC) and why I was hoping they will be offered as an option for the 2022 M5.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 10:56 AM   #11
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I saw that too (they are an option for 2022 M8 GC) and why I was hoping they will be offered as an option for the 2022 M5.
They are putting the CF bucket seats in the M5CS so there is a chance they make these optional for the M5 as well, but no one knows for sure yet.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 11:32 AM   #12
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Hey Guys,

Go sit in the carbon bucket seats before you race out to order them. They are not right for everyone.
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 01:08 PM   #13
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greer View Post
Hey Guys,

Go sit in the carbon bucket seats before you race out to order them. They are not right for everyone.
I sat in them and I was pleasantly surprised. The really fit like a glove. The side bolsters really hug you, more so than the thigh bolsters. It just gives the car (G8X) a completely different feel. Much more theater, which is definitely a good thing. Ingress/egress isn't horrible, the only reason you would make an effort to jump into/out of the seat is to preserve the thigh bolsters from wear and tear, not because they are "hard" to get in/out of. But then again, I kind of already do that with the F90 since the thigh bolsters do stick out a decent bit for "normal seats" (and the thigh bolsters are much more aggressive on the M5 than on the standard G8X seat which was not what I expected at all).
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 02:08 PM   #14
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greer View Post
Hey Guys,

I sat in them and I was pleasantly surprised. The really fit like a glove. The side bolsters really hug you, more so than the thigh bolsters. It just gives the car (G8X) a completely different feel. Much more theater, which is definitely a good thing. Ingress/egress isn't horrible, the only reason you would make an effort to jump into/out of the seat is to preserve the thigh bolsters from wear and tear, not because they are "hard" to get in/out of. But then again, I kind of already do that with the F90 since the thigh bolsters do stick out a decent bit for "normal seats" (and the thigh bolsters are much more aggressive on the M5 than on the standard G8X seat which was not what I expected at all).
I have not tried them but have high hopes. They also seem much thinner which will make the back seat more spacious.

For comparison purposes I am just 5.9" and about 175 pounds - pretty average but fairly masculine thighs - and beyond the high seating position the thigh bolsters is the second gripe. Cannot find a comfortable position.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 03:12 PM   #15
bpma
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5C Stage 2

If you're in Europe, get a 2021.

https://www.confused.com/on-the-road...ry-on-new-cars
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 07:09 PM   #16
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpma View Post
Not in Europe but from Europe and above (speed limiter at max legal speed) will never happen within, most likely, our lifetimes. In general limiters already exist in most cars but nowhere near the speed limits.
Appreciate 0