BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Rear windscreen spontaneously imploded. Replacement help!

08-30-2023, 04:24 PM   #1
Shadowdemon1
Private
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition, X2 20d xdrive

Rear windscreen spontaneously imploded. Replacement help!

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi,

Would really appreciate any insight / help.

Based in UK. Have a 2 month old m5 c with 1000 miles on the clock

Vehicle was parked stationary on my drive for 2 weeks while I was away on holiday. Had cctv covering the vehicle nobody came in our out in that time.

Got back yesterday and sat in my car and closed the door, the rear windscreen caved in!

Bmw don't want to know about any potential manufacturing defect. Insurance Company (direct line) want me to use autoglass who don't use genuine bmw parts. I do have the option of paying an additional £600 to get a genuine bmw part fitted.

Anyone gone with autoglass for a non oem part? Apparently they are manufactured by the
same companies that make oems.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 01:34 PM   #2
fan51
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdemon1 View Post
Hi,

Would really appreciate any insight / help.

Based in UK. Have a 2 month old m5 c with 1000 miles on the clock

Vehicle was parked stationary on my drive for 2 weeks while I was away on holiday. Had cctv covering the vehicle nobody came in our out in that time.

Got back yesterday and sat in my car and closed the door, the rear windscreen caved in!

Bmw don't want to know about any potential manufacturing defect. Insurance Company (direct line) want me to use autoglass who don't use genuine bmw parts. I do have the option of paying an additional £600 to get a genuine bmw part fitted.

Anyone gone with autoglass for a non oem part? Apparently they are manufactured by the
same companies that make oems.

Are you absolutely sure that nothing fell on it and caused it to break? Can you post photos?

If you’re certain, then I would keep after the dealership and make them replace it under warranty. Contact BMW NA if you have to.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 08:15 AM   #3
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan51 View Post
Are you absolutely sure that nothing fell on it and caused it to break? Can you post photos?

If you’re certain, then I would keep after the dealership and make them replace it under warranty. Contact BMW NA if you have to.
The OP is from the UK
Appreciate 0