BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    F90 M5 Competition Track Guide & Tips

05-02-2021, 01:40 PM   #1
RS61
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6

F90 M5 Competition Track Guide & Tips

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey everyone. I spent months looking up various posts on whether the M5 can handle the track, what needs to be upgraded, etc, but couldn't find anything that just answered all the questions. So since I took mine to the track yesterday I figured I'd post my experience here, and maybe everyone else who has tracked theirs can too and we can make this the go-to thread for future owners.

Summary - a 2021 F90 M5 Competition LCI can 100% handle a solid day of track as standard without breaking a sweat.

But to make it interesting, a bit more detail:

The car is heavy but the setup is perfect so it will not feel uncomfortably heavy on track. You can chuck it around with minimal understeer and have a great time. The suspension could be lower, and I'm going to give the M Performance setup a go with a 20mm drop, but it's certainly fine as stock.

The stock steel braking setup - discs, pads, fluid - didn't break a sweat. Pedal feel was great all day. No need to upgrade for performance reasons. I may try out track pads and put a higher temp fluid in, but there was no reason to suggest that's actually necessary.

Mine came with the Pirellis from the factory, and I wanted to get solid lap times, so the only change I made was that I put Michelin Cup 2 Connects on - the newer Connects come in the exact standard 20 inch tyre sizes for both front and rear, unlike the previous ones, so there was no need to run a non-standard setup. With the tyres adjusted for the right pressures, they were rock solid for the whole day, and the car was faster on track than anything else there - all the other M cars (including new gen M3s and M4s, an M5 with the PS4Ss, and a few M2 Comps), and a 570S (on standard Pirelli P-Zeros).

For tyres, the Michelin Connect app is excellent as it helps you tweak starting pressures to make sure you maximise the time within the optimal range. I found that I was starting on around 26 psi in order to run between 32 and 35 once warmed up for a good 15-20 minutes before they would then go over that pressure and you can start to feel the car sliding around a bit too much (not in a fun way).

Steering is definitely best in Comfort so you can play around with it a bit easier and slide around - the feel is not better in Sport so it's just a bit heavier and harder to quickly rotate when you need to put some lock on. Engine and Drivetrain definitely Sport Plus.

Optimal driving mode is 4WD DSC Off if you want the ultimate lap time of 4WD Sport DSC Off if you want a more engaging driving experience. MDM cuts in far too aggressively - it's not smooth like the supercar electronics these days, it just cuts you off once it starts to slide, and that makes it hard to balance the car and keep the pace up. With Cup 2s, and 4WD, there was never a time that the car lost traction unless I specifically chucked it in to achieve that. Hold down DSC Off for 10 seconds, tweak the engine and drivetrain settings, then hold down M Mode for 10 seconds and set it into Track to switch off all the various electronics and entertainment, and you're set.

So basically if you have an M5 and want to take it on track, then you're totally good to go. No changes needed. If you absolutely want to set the best lap times on the day, then just stick some Cup 2s on it. The rest of the car is absolutely built for it.

Hope this is interesting and helpful to people!
Attached Images

Appreciate 30
Simon H874.50
pmatias03119.00
POBA272.00
limeypride4418.50
Alberta1975.00
ashmostro1246.50
Jamesmick131.00
EPTXM571.50
Herofmine412.50
swagon13482.50
eman45171691.50
brava09767.00
flanast148.50
ando1954.50
Powerslide1095.00
kebiN21.00
dazzapb1045.50
clee1982796.00
Rams013.00
M5 London307.00
      05-02-2021, 01:49 PM   #2
KASM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Great review. I'm hoping to hit road ATL this December. Appreciate your review. Very helpful..
Appreciate 2
ToddinTN504.00
F32Fleet3539.50
      05-02-2021, 02:10 PM   #3
pmatias03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp, 2011 M3 E93

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
Solid review! Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 03:30 PM   #4
ToddinTN
Both Feet In
Rep
Drives: 2011 SG DINAN E93 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KASM3 View Post
Great review. I'm hoping to hit road ATL this December. Appreciate your review. Very helpful..
A lap around Road Atlanta two years ago in an M5C with Matt Mullins at the wheel is why I’m taking delivery of a new M5C is just over three weeks. The car was a beast on track, can’t wait to take my down to do a track day soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 06:57 PM   #5
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

Very interesting, and good to know. Thank you for posting!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 07:23 PM   #6
FatRear08
Major
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Great to see there’s no limp mode, overheating, brake issues, etc. on the stock setup. This proves it’s engineered quite well and will handle most everything you throw at it on the street.
Appreciate 2
eman45171691.50
      05-05-2021, 02:17 PM   #7
ABenLauda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

May I ask what your prior track experience is? Are you a beginner/intermediate/advanced level driver?

I find it quite surprising that the much heavier M5 can take a full day of beating with everything stock without even an eventual brake fade.
jjasonSU194.00
      05-05-2021, 02:19 PM   #8
BlueSteel13
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Nice review, though I would say it isn't advisable to take BMW OEM brake fluid to a track day. Yes, it holds up fine as long as you can manage the temperatures and drive a cool down lap. But you'll regret it the first time a red flag comes out on a brake intensive circuit and you end up having to stop on track after a heavy braking event. My advice: You already forked the money over for a new M car; even the most expensive brake fluid is only $70 and the dealership will even flush your brake system with it if you ask them to. Cheap insurance to keep you going and peace of mind that you won't boil your fluid.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2021, 03:28 PM   #9
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS61 View Post
For tyres, the Michelin Connect app is excellent as it helps you tweak starting pressures to make sure you maximise the time within the optimal range. I found that I was starting on around 26 psi in order to run between 32 and 35 once warmed up for a good 15-20 minutes before they would then go over that pressure and you can start to feel the car sliding around a bit too much (not in a fun way).
Were you getting the low pressure warning in TPMS with M mode set to track? I took a base M8 (so no track M mode, just road and sport) and while it didn't go into limp mode due to pressures like someone in an F32 mentioned, it did give me the warning to stop carefully. I played around with some tire settings, telling it I was using race/other tires, etc., and it still gave me the warning. I performed a reset when I was up to temp in some traffic one session, but it still came back on at the start of the next session. Again, no limp more or any real consequence, but sort of a notification crying wolf type situation.
      05-05-2021, 06:12 PM   #10
stealth70mde
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

I have the same experience as RS61 on the track with my 2019 M5 Comp, stock and steel brakes.
2 seasons so far (about 16 track days), starting the new season on May 10th.

Everybody cannot believe how good the stock steel brakes and pads are (pads are made by Pagid for BMW). I even shared my car with a friend on a track day so it did double duty, no fade whatsoever.
      05-05-2021, 07:15 PM   #11
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Love it, thanks for sharing it!

I don't really feel the MDM cutting off at all, is it possible that pre LCI cars MDM are tuned differently?
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 07:25 PM   #12
Salottox5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 m5

I'll be buying m5 this summer and look forward to tracking..

Been long time since I was on track w my 60 m5 6-speed

Thanks for sharing
      05-05-2021, 09:29 PM   #13
gtenedio
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '%E2%80%9909 e92 m3, '19 X3, %

i tracked my f90 comp on ccb's several times last year with toyo r888r's.
the car was def one of the fastest. although not as fun on the turns, the f90 was badass and insanely impressive on track.

albeit its a different feeling ripping thru a track course in a heavy sedan, than a ~3400lb or less coupe, but fun nonetheless

the reason i bought the car was after my 2 day bmw track event @ thermal with the m5's. i feel in love

enjoy the season! try the triple 8's or full slicks itll be a riot
      05-05-2021, 09:43 PM   #14
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtenedio View Post
i tracked my f90 comp on ccb's several times last year with toyo r888r's.
the car was def one of the fastest. although not as fun on the turns, the f90 was badass and insanely impressive on track.

albeit its a different feeling ripping thru a track course in a heavy sedan, than a ~3400lb or less coupe, but fun nonetheless

the reason i bought the car was after my 2 day bmw track event @ thermal with the m5's. i feel in love

enjoy the season! try the triple 8's or full slicks itll be a riot
I have a question as a new owner of a M5. I have never had car like this and have a question about driving on highways. I notice when entering the highway and driving at speeds of say 50-60 if I continue to press the accelerator the car has a point at which it feels like extra power kicks in and I am quickly carried forward as if I am on a wave. Is this something others experience? I am not flooring the accelerator or even close. Is this just a characteristic of turbo charged cars. I have around 600 miles of driving and I am just trying to learn the behavior of the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 09:55 PM   #15
LBBF87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Magic School Bus

I think there is no doubt any M5 can handle a track day, but tires on the other hand are another story.

I corded a pair of Pilot Sport 4s on my last weekend at NJMP - T.

The car is a beast but it's a tad heavy and hard on its tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 10:58 PM   #16
stealth70mde
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
I have a question as a new owner of a M5. I have never had car like this and have a question about driving on highways. I notice when entering the highway and driving at speeds of say 50-60 if I continue to press the accelerator the car has a point at which it feels like extra power kicks in and I am quickly carried forward as if I am on a wave. Is this something others experience? I am not flooring the accelerator or even close. Is this just a characteristic of turbo charged cars. I have around 600 miles of driving and I am just trying to learn the behavior of the car.
Yes, it feels like a 747 at takeoff, just a constant and powerful push.
      05-05-2021, 11:00 PM   #17
stealth70mde
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBF87 View Post
I think there is no doubt any M5 can handle a track day, but tires on the other hand are another story.

It is… 3 sets of rear pads for 1 set of front + discs maybe. I do track on MDM most of the time tough.

I went though 1 set of Pirellis and will soon need to replace the Nittos as well…
      05-05-2021, 11:36 PM   #18
LBBF87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Magic School Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth70mde View Post
Quote:

It is… 3 sets of rear pads for 1 set of front + discs maybe. I do track on MDM most of the time tough.

I went though 1 set of Pirellis and will soon need to replace the Nittos as well…
Likewise, I'm not willing to put 100K into the wall for 1 second on my lap time. MDM is my track insurance. I watched an M3 fly right off the track behind me. Was incredibly happy to find out he kept it out of the wall, but I'm sure he was shitting himself as 80K+ moved towards that wall.

I will have to experiment with some better pads and tires. Admittedly I enjoy using the M2 at HPDEs a little more.

Have you had a chance to find the tire sweet spot (in regards to tire brand/model).
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 06:58 AM   #19
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS61 View Post
Hey everyone. I spent months looking up various posts on whether the M5 can handle the track, what needs to be upgraded, etc, but couldn't find anything that just answered all the questions. So since I took mine to the track yesterday I figured I'd post my experience here, and maybe everyone else who has tracked theirs can too and we can make this the go-to thread for future owners.

Summary - a 2021 F90 M5 Competition LCI can 100% handle a solid day of track as standard without breaking a sweat.

But to make it interesting, a bit more detail:

The car is heavy but the setup is perfect so it will not feel uncomfortably heavy on track. You can chuck it around with minimal understeer and have a great time. The suspension could be lower, and I'm going to give the M Performance setup a go with a 20mm drop, but it's certainly fine as stock.

The stock steel braking setup - discs, pads, fluid - didn't break a sweat. Pedal feel was great all day. No need to upgrade for performance reasons. I may try out track pads and put a higher temp fluid in, but there was no reason to suggest that's actually necessary.

Mine came with the Pirellis from the factory, and I wanted to get solid lap times, so the only change I made was that I put Michelin Cup 2 Connects on - the newer Connects come in the exact standard 20 inch tyre sizes for both front and rear, unlike the previous ones, so there was no need to run a non-standard setup. With the tyres adjusted for the right pressures, they were rock solid for the whole day, and the car was faster on track than anything else there - all the other M cars (including new gen M3s and M4s, an M5 with the PS4Ss, and a few M2 Comps), and a 570S (on standard Pirelli P-Zeros).

Steering is definitely best in Comfort so you can play around with it a bit easier and slide around - the feel is not better in Sport so it's just a bit heavier and harder to quickly rotate when you need to put some lock on. Engine and Drivetrain definitely Sport Plus.

Optimal driving mode is 4WD DSC Off if you want the ultimate lap time of 4WD Sport DSC Off if you want a more engaging driving experience. MDM cuts in far too aggressively - it's not smooth like the supercar electronics these days, it just cuts you off once it starts to slide, and that makes it hard to balance the car and keep the pace up. With Cup 2s, and 4WD, there was never a time that the car lost traction unless I specifically chucked it in to achieve that. Hold down DSC Off for 10 seconds, tweak the engine and drivetrain settings, then hold down M Mode for 10 seconds and set it into Track to switch off all the various electronics and entertainment, and you're set.

So basically if you have an M5 and want to take it on track, then you're totally good to go. No changes needed. If you absolutely want to set the best lap times on the day, then just stick some Cup 2s on it. The rest of the car is absolutely built for it.

Hope this is interesting and helpful to people!
OP: That was a nice write-up. I have an F80 M3 that I track - and at my last session I had the Cup 2 Connects on - love those tires and love knowing temps and pressures in real time! I used to track the RE-71R's (which I also loved) but I like the Cup 2's even more.

I know the App says you should start the session at recommended pressures - warm up the tires and then pull into the pits and bleed back down to ideal - but obviously you lose valuable time in your 25-30 minute session - so I started doing the same as you - start a little below recommended pressure and then hope to not have to pull over before tires start getting greasy.

Since I only did one session without pulling over to bleed the pressures back down - approximately how many minutes did it take for you to start getting into the 35psi range or notice the tires starting to get greasy?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 07:30 AM   #20
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
IÂ’ve driven the M5 comp, M2 comp, m3 comp, m4 comp, and finally the m8 all on the circuit of AmericaÂ’s. What makes a good track car and a good daily driver is somewhat at odds.

the M5 is a great luxury/performance sedan that acquits itself well on the track. I would choose an m2 comp as an actual track car as itÂ’s a performance/luxury car (in that order). The m2 is a better teaching/learning tool. Without awd the m2forces you to be smoother, and more careful in throttle application especially out of turns where the M5 and m8 are more forgiving of too much throttle (but your going slower). The M5 is so smooth and forgiving (luxury) that itÂ’s easy to not notice as quickly that your over applying throttle while exiting the corner and now your slightly under steering. It also takes a lot of initial braking to settle that heavy front end in sweepers. Where as the m2 comp you know exactly when you applied to much throttle, the feed back is mucH more immediate and obvious. So IÂ’m comparing the 2 cars because for track purposes I want my m5 to be more like the m2. I would evolve the m5 to have the characteristic I like in the m2.

The mods I believe the M5 needs are as follows for better tracking. Weight loss, better tires, clear bra or similar to protect your paint, fire extinguisher mount, and a 6 point harness seat and your ready for most competition. Lowering is not necessary, carbon ceramics are not necessary (cast iron is cheaper when your rotors need replacement from warping). Heat doesnÂ’t seem to be an issue, IÂ’ve driven it under race conditions in 95 degree heat. The interior mods will compromise the car for daily use. So IÂ’m in the camp, a daily is not a track car. Better to have a dedicated track car and a daily as the environments are radically different. With the super low speed limits, traffic, bad pavement and gentle corners you never even come close to the limits of a modern vehicle.

I do run races in my 2016 550i xdrive. I do miss the hydraulic steering in the old bmws... I like open road races vs track days, which is a different kind of driving (less braking)
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 05:42 PM   #21
stealth70mde
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Have you had a chance to find the tire sweet spot (in regards to tire brand/model).
Unfortunately no... I'm always changing tire brands to explore and it seems that I can never settle on a favorite for some reason.
The OEM Pirellis were fun and also comfortable on the road but I went through them in no time.
Now, the Nittos, I'm not sure still. The car behaves very differently and is much more twitchy in the hard braking zones (Mainly after the long straight of my track - 240 kph to 110 kph). For sure I'm not fully exploiting the Nittos. These street legal Nittos are not comfortable on the public roads

I was able to fit a 305 in the rear with the Nitto, fits barely, no rubbing.

Next I will try either the Michelin PS4 or Cup2
      05-07-2021, 09:13 PM   #22
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Having tracked my 2018 M5 extensively, there are some tips and tricks I agree and disagree with above.

Details:

1. When pushed REAL hard, DSC fully off will put you backwards and sideways QUICK unless you are a real expert. I've been doing this 20 years and I'm no expert at 600 hp tiptoeing around really tight turns with a 4800 pound car. Being backwards in the grass in turn 3 at VIR while pursing a pretty fast 911 reminded me of the benefits of M dynamic mode.

2. The rear pads, OEM, are garbage especially with M dynamic mode. I can't remember how many sets of rear pads I've now replaced. And getting the right tool to do so was a long search to make sure I didn't do something stupid. Make sure you get the right MECHANICAL tool, and if you're a whiz at electronic stuff go for trying to find the right tool to do it. None of the OBDII tools I could buy affordably can retract the motors. I'm told it can be done other ways, but the mechanical is the SUREFIRE way to do it without damage.

3. The brake cooling in the front WORKS WELL. The OEM pads will last well. I have now used several pads from RacingBrake, the only track capable pads available in the U.S., and they are better than stock. The European pads from BMW can be imported, for about $700 for fronts. A lot.

The brake fade compensation in the car makes the brakes seem much, much better than they really are. Long term track goers will notice the pedal moving around. It's kinda weird.

4. The Pilot 4S's are decent. The Sport Cup 2's are better. Toyo R888R's are much better, but holy mother of pearl the noise. Randy Pobst came to my garage to tell me that one of my diffs had to be failing it was so bad.

Best tires I've run so far - Toyo Proxes RR's. Durability and traction blow the Sport Cup 2's out of the water.

5. The M2 is stated above as a better track car. If you have a handling only track - maybe. If you're on a power track....well. If you don't mind being passed by a bargain basement Corvette go for it. I have a 2018 M2 that I have tracked same day as my M5. The M5 does MUCH MUCH better on power tracks. My experience at VIR vs. M2's on track is roughly a murder scene. I can keep with them fairly well in the twisties, and they become a hood ornament on the straigtaways. I'll take the M5 sir.

6. Finding adequate restraints for frequent track use has been a shit experience. The sport seats in the M5 CS will make this much easier, but 4 points may be the best we can do. This beast can turn a corner much faster than the OEM restraints can handle. We need proper seats with passthroughs. The stupid Supra has proper passthroughs in the OEM seats. What was BMW thinking without offering some sort of sport seat? The M3 and M4 optional seats looks proper for this, and the ones in the M5 CS look like the same. We'll see

7. Do replace the brake fluid. Castrol SRF is the best. I've used it and Endless. The fade compensation comes in the least with the SRF.

8. Be prepared for front end and windshield damage - tire worm and bug impacts at 150mph can crack the windshield and dent the hood pretty well. This beast can generate those speeds pretty handily. You wanna keep it in pristine shape? Not the sport for you.

Shawn
Appreciate 10