BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Passenger mirror - reverse 2023 M5 - first time BMW Driver

03-14-2024, 08:28 PM   #1
johnsal
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5

Passenger mirror - reverse 2023 M5 - first time BMW Driver

Hi everyone,

first time BMW owner. Purchased a 2023, M5 and had a question regarding the mirror when reversing. I previously owned many mercedes AMG vehicles were u can set the amount of tilt on the passenger mirror u want when u put the car in reverse.

I found with BMW, it goes all the way to the bottom, showing u basically the wheel and road, which makes it hard to use the mirror to reverse into spots. ( I understand we have a rear view camera, however, i rely more on the mirror).

Is there a way to set the tilt on the mirror to a specific point and have that set to my Memory seat? or there is no way about it?

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 08:37 PM   #2
nordmanmg
M Town
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5c, 2024 M3cs

Move the setting button on the door to passenger side and it will stay where it set
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 09:35 PM   #3
afo818
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW F90 M5 Competition

Garage List
2019 F90 Comp  [8.50]
What he said ^ or you will have to code it through BimmerCode
      03-14-2024, 09:52 PM   #4
johnsal
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5

Is there a way to make it tilt down when in reverse to a certain angle, and then move back to the original setting when i put it in drive? Or do I need to adjust it everytime when i want to reverse for that specific angle?

Where I have my mirror set for driving, differs to where it should be when reversing if that makes sense?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 09:57 PM   #5
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsal View Post
Is there a way to make it tilt down when in reverse to a certain angle, and then move back to the original setting when i put it in drive? Or do I need to adjust it everytime when i want to reverse for that specific angle?

Where I have my mirror set for driving, differs to where it should be when reversing if that makes sense?
If you code with BimmerCode, you can select the angle you want it to dip to when the car is in reverse. When you shift back into drive, it will go back to the position that your mirrors are set to for when you are in drive (if saved to memory settings).
Attached Images

03-14-2024, 10:01 PM   #6
pmsteinm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
I'm glad I read this thread. After doing the software update I had to re-do my profile login which stupidly cleared my seat position by moving to default. When I got that set up (and mirrors adjusted) I noticed the mirror to curb which is annoying when you need to multi-point turn and seems like a great way to kill the motor. I see it is because I moved the selector switch. I went back and RTFM and sure enough it mentions this. I must have read this manual a dozen times since I ordered the car and I never noticed that.

To answer the OP, it doesn't say anything about setting the tilt amount. I read on other BMW model forums how if you adjust the mirror when it is tilt position it will use that setting, but I've never tested that.

Now I just need to find a way to not have the upper back rest and side bolsters move every time I unbuckle to get out the car. I found if you press the "1" button when you unbuckle it doesn't do it...until you get back in the car after opening the door and then it reverse direction when you buckle causing even more unnecessary wear.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 01:00 PM   #7
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsteinm View Post
I'm glad I read this thread. After doing the software update I had to re-do my profile login which stupidly cleared my seat position by moving to default. When I got that set up (and mirrors adjusted) I noticed the mirror to curb which is annoying when you need to multi-point turn and seems like a great way to kill the motor. I see it is because I moved the selector switch. I went back and RTFM and sure enough it mentions this. I must have read this manual a dozen times since I ordered the car and I never noticed that.

To answer the OP, it doesn't say anything about setting the tilt amount. I read on other BMW model forums how if you adjust the mirror when it is tilt position it will use that setting, but I've never tested that.

Now I just need to find a way to not have the upper back rest and side bolsters move every time I unbuckle to get out the car. I found if you press the "1" button when you unbuckle it doesn't do it...until you get back in the car after opening the door and then it reverse direction when you buckle causing even more unnecessary wear.
Mirror tilt can only be adjusted through coding, already tried saving it with adjusting while in reverse (because when you move the switch to adjust the setting it just goes back to normal).

Side bolsters and back rest move to help you get in and out of car easier (and probably put less wear and tear on thr actual leather) you can also disable this through coding iirc but I'd have to check again.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 01:21 PM   #8
pmsteinm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Mirror tilt can only be adjusted through coding, already tried saving it with adjusting while in reverse (because when you move the switch to adjust the setting it just goes back to normal).

Side bolsters and back rest move to help you get in and out of car easier (and probably put less wear and tear on thr actual leather) you can also disable this through coding iirc but I'd have to check again.
I complained at the dealer and so he fired up bimmercode and couldn't find it. I had looked a year ago and couldn't either. I get why the seat moves, but BMW engineers were so clever in the lab they didn't think about a real world use case...a kid in a car seat behind you where the seat back ends up in their lap in exit position. Although I wonder if the seat belt is buckled if it will detect that as a reason not to do it.

Last edited by pmsteinm; 03-15-2024 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 01:38 PM   #9
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsteinm View Post
I complained at the dealer and so he fired up bimmercode and couldn't find it. I had looked a year ago and couldn't either. I get why the seat moves, but BMW engineers were so clever in the lab they didn't think about a real world use case...a kid in a car seat behind you where the seat back ends up in their lap in exit position. Although I wonder if the seat belt is buckled if it will detect that as a reason not to do it.
No, it'll do it as soon as you unbuckle it. And I could've sworn there was coding for it. I'll fire up the computer and check a bit later and get back to you.
Appreciate 0