BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Reconfirmed: No More Manuals on Future BMW M5 and M6

04-06-2016, 07:46 PM   #111
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Miata @ 2,300lbs - manual makes sense and is fun
M5 @ 4,600lbs - manual... uh what?
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2016, 07:58 PM   #112
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Miata @ 2,300lbs - manual makes sense and is fun
M5 @ 4,600lbs - manual... uh what?
3.7 0-60. Even if that's not a manual I'm sure the manual is still sub-4s. What does it matter, really?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 08:46 PM   #113
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
3.7 0-60. Even if that's not a manual I'm sure the manual is still sub-4s. What does it matter, really?
I didn't say anything about being a faster car.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 08:46 PM   #114
48Laws
Banned
Rep

You implied weight was an issue. Show me a stock Miata that can do sub 4s. Lmao.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 04:22 AM   #115
MParallel
Mr. OEM
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '98 E36 M3 AW/Black 1 of 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_Joe View Post
Garbage! BMW is the last car company to offer a proper gearbox for a full size sedan and/ or coupe!
They also offere a FWD familiy fan.

It's inevitable.

Then bring back NA engines as well.

'1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III auf Schwarz • Deutschland-ausfόhrung • 1 von 12 • SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL •

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 05:36 AM   #116
MParallel
Mr. OEM
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '98 E36 M3 AW/Black 1 of 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
No surprise.

Now the question is, will the next generation M3/M4 move to DCT as the standard transmission and offer the manual as the no-cost option. This is how all of the series cars are sold. This would increase the base price for those who prefer the manual.
Here in the Netherlands, because of emission based taxes, a manual M2 costs €6000 more than the DCT.

'1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III auf Schwarz • Deutschland-ausfόhrung • 1 von 12 • SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL •

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 07:08 AM   #117
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You implied weight was an issue. Show me a stock Miata that can do sub 4s. Lmao.
Weight is an issue when it comes to "fun to drive via manual transmission". 0-60 times are no indicator of an enjoyable/engaging car.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 07:31 AM   #118
48Laws
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Weight is an issue when it comes to "fun to drive via manual transmission". 0-60 times are no indicator of an enjoyable/engaging car.
No it's not! That makes no sense. I just provided evidence a heavier M5 is still quick/fast. To the enthusiast, quick/fast is largely regarded as a metric for measuring fun. C'mon.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 07:31 AM   #119
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.S.A View Post
Oh wow they are gonna have complete different chassis ?
No. They simply have different codes.

M cars have always had different suspension, steering, drivetrain components. This, of course, will continue. What may also happen now that the flexible CLAR architecture is being used is that M cars may have more CF construction in the chassis (i.e. not just more CF components or body panels as is the case sometimes today). However, this has yet to be confirmed.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 03:45 PM   #120
N.S.A
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 Blue Sapphire Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel
Quote:
Oh wow they are gonna have complete different chassis ?
No. They simply have different codes.

M cars have always had different suspension, steering, drivetrain components. This, of course, will continue. What may also happen now that the flexible CLAR architecture is being used is that M cars may have more CF construction in the chassis (i.e. not just more CF components or body panels as is the case sometimes today). However, this has yet to be confirmed.
Yeah for sure. I knew they have different suspension of course. Just since the m5 and m3 last generations as well as other cars have all been the same as far as f10 and e90 and e92 so that's why I was confused that's cool though. Thanks Man for the info
-2014 BMW ///M5 Black Sapphire Metallic with Full Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust SOLD
-2013 BMW ///M3 Limerock Park Edition SOLD
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 07:51 AM   #121
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Yeah for sure. I knew they have different suspension of course. Just since the m5 and m3 last generations as well as other cars have all been the same as far as f10 and e90 and e92...
Right, but as I had said in an earlier post, starting with the M3/M4 two years ago, all M products since have had their own unique codes:

F80 M3
F82 M4
F83 M4
F85 X5 M
F86 X6 M
F87 M2
F90 M5
F97 X3 M
F98 X4 M
etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 10:01 AM   #122
MiamiFan13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i4-e40 335i 03 Cobra,Jeep SRT8

Saw this coming when the SMG's hit the market. Almost immediately they started outselling the manuals....and this was when the manual was superior. SMG's were pathetic...face it.

Was it the enthusiast/purists, for whom the first M's were built for, that were buying the SMG's?? HELL NO!!!!!!!!

Those SMGs allowed everyone to play. All the guys who couldn't drive stick or wouldn't buy a car if their wife couldn't drive it could now buy the top of the line model and not be stuck with a 330i or 545i. The amount of M cars on the streets multiplied exponentially it seemed.

Its obvious that the majority of M car owners are NOT the same ones who bought the first few generations of M cars. Those early owners were all-in on the ultimate driving experience....and half of the fun was rowing your own gears. They don't make up a large number of the population, but they had their niche and certain car companies obliged.

I respect the DCT. If I had to win a race, I would choose a DCT over manual. When driving at the limit, I'd have enough on my plate keeping the car on the track, a DCT is better. HOWEVER, on the street we cannot drive the car to its limit, so most of the fun is shifting the car ourselves.....it's what makes up most of the driving experience. At the same time, I'd bet that most DCT drivers don't shift their car manually anyway.

I get a kick out of the 6MT bashers who justify the DCT for being "better technology". It tells you everything you need to know about them. Don't they realize that most of the really fun cars to drive have the least technology?? Like I said, most of the current M owners are not who the breed was intended for, and if DCT's were on the way out, they would be too.

It's sad that BMW was forced to sell out. Pressure from the government and investors forced their hand. I wish they could have at least kept the M5 with a manual option. Maybe if they painted all of them black they could save a little bit of coin. Something tells me those buyers wouldn't mind that at all.

BMW still makes nice cars....but the " Ultimate Driving Machine" image has really taken a beating. Pumping fake engine noise thru the car's speakers and now dropping a manual gearbox option from 2 M cars is very hard to swallow.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 01:10 PM   #123
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

It's all becoming irrelevant anyway with the move to hybrid and electric powertrains.

Polluting the environment with exhaust fumes will become less and less acceptable as alternative powertrains become more prevalent.

Last edited by visualguy; 04-08-2016 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 02:56 PM   #124
48Laws
Banned
Rep

Lol. You will never eliminate petrol companies. Ever! Don't let Elon's success confuse you.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 05:24 PM   #125
N.S.A
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel
Quote:
Yeah for sure. I knew they have different suspension of course. Just since the m5 and m3 last generations as well as other cars have all been the same as far as f10 and e90 and e92...
Right, but as I had said in an earlier post, starting with the M3/M4 two years ago, all M products since have had their own unique codes:

F80 M3
F82 M4
F83 M4
F85 X5 M
F86 X6 M
F87 M2
F90 M5
F97 X3 M
F98 X4 M
etc.
That's really cool. That's the way it should be since they are different cars basically

Thanks for the Info brotha πŸ‘πŸ½
-2014 BMW ///M5 Black Sapphire Metallic with Full Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust SOLD
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 06:54 PM   #126
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
That's really cool. That's the way it should be since they are different cars basically

I owned the first true M-car; E30 M3.
Nothing like it before and no matter what anyone says, nothing like it since.

(Flame suit on!)
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 04:15 AM   #127
N.S.A
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz
Quote:

I owned the first true M-car; E30 M3.
Nothing like it before and no matter what anyone says, nothing like it since.

(Flame suit on!)
Wow that's amazing man such a Beauty that one is.

I feel like the e92 m3 are the best ones for my tasting
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 02:42 PM   #128
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzequielR View Post
I understand why they are getting rid of it, but it would be cool if they kept it around.

Also, I remember reading in the M5 forums that there was a 6MT owner who was not happy with the tranny, as it felt like it was not intended for the car. This same owner test drove a DCT and validated his "theory". Although that was the opinion of only one person it definitely intrigued me while reading it.

Would you rather have a flawless DCT or a sluggish 6MT? Based off the story above. Personally, I would choose DCT on an M5, but I will be choosing 6MT for my upcoming F80 build.
Same thing happened to the E60 M5. The engine was optimized for the SMG and they had to shoehorn a 6sp just to make the US market happy.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 02:59 PM   #129
EzequielR
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: E92 08 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet
Quote:
I understand why they are getting rid of it, but it would be cool if they kept it around.

Also, I remember reading in the M5 forums that there was a 6MT owner who was not happy with the tranny, as it felt like it was not intended for the car. This same owner test drove a DCT and validated his "theory". Although that was the opinion of only one person it definitely intrigued me while reading it.

Would you rather have a flawless DCT or a sluggish 6MT? Based off the story above. Personally, I would choose DCT on an M5, but I will be choosing 6MT for my upcoming F80 build.
Same thing happened to the E60 M5. The engine was optimized for the SMG and they had to shoehorn a 6sp just to make the US market happy.
really? I've heard quite the opposite. Most people hated the "jolty-ness" of the SMG. Opting for the 6MT.

Call me weird but I'm a few months shy of my 21st birthday and I very much prefer a 6MT over the DCT. On the contrary, most of my transfer student friends are die hard DCT fans. I think it's all culture influenced when speaking about preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
The lack of love won't come from the fact that it's not on a race track but rather that it is on the ground and, in fact, ruined.
my 2 feets are currently on the ground, are they ruined? haha
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 03:00 PM   #130
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiFan13 View Post
Saw this coming when the SMG's hit the market. Almost immediately they started outselling the manuals....and this was when the manual was superior. SMG's were pathetic...face it.

Was it the enthusiast/purists, for whom the first M's were built for, that were buying the SMG's?? HELL NO!!!!!!!!

Those SMGs allowed everyone to play. All the guys who couldn't drive stick or wouldn't buy a car if their wife couldn't drive it could now buy the top of the line model and not be stuck with a 330i or 545i. The amount of M cars on the streets multiplied exponentially it seemed.

Its obvious that the majority of M car owners are NOT the same ones who bought the first few generations of M cars. Those early owners were all-in on the ultimate driving experience....and half of the fun was rowing your own gears. They don't make up a large number of the population, but they had their niche and certain car companies obliged.

I respect the DCT. If I had to win a race, I would choose a DCT over manual. When driving at the limit, I'd have enough on my plate keeping the car on the track, a DCT is better. HOWEVER, on the street we cannot drive the car to its limit, so most of the fun is shifting the car ourselves.....it's what makes up most of the driving experience. At the same time, I'd bet that most DCT drivers don't shift their car manually anyway.

I get a kick out of the 6MT bashers who justify the DCT for being "better technology". It tells you everything you need to know about them. Don't they realize that most of the really fun cars to drive have the least technology?? Like I said, most of the current M owners are not who the breed was intended for, and if DCT's were on the way out, they would be too.

It's sad that BMW was forced to sell out. Pressure from the government and investors forced their hand. I wish they could have at least kept the M5 with a manual option. Maybe if they painted all of them black they could save a little bit of coin. Something tells me those buyers wouldn't mind that at all.

BMW still makes nice cars....but the " Ultimate Driving Machine" image has really taken a beating. Pumping fake engine noise thru the car's speakers and now dropping a manual gearbox option from 2 M cars is very hard to swallow.
The manual drivers are a funny lot. Initially it was "Manuals are faster around the track than any slushbox", Then SMG and DCT came out and all of a sudden the manual drivers were going on about "I feel so much more connected to the road, so much blah blah blah." or "Cheaper to maintain". Gone was the "Faster on the track" argument. So which is it?

Appreciate 1
      04-09-2016, 03:19 PM   #131
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Lol. You will never eliminate petrol companies. Ever! Don't let Elon's success confuse you.
It's not just Elon's success, it's the success of electric cars.

Arguing about manual vs automatic is becoming increasingly anachronistic. Powertrain technology is changing, and this makes the transmission discussion irrelevant to where things are going in this industry. It's the same with engine sound discussions, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 03:24 PM   #132
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
really? I've heard quite the opposite. Most people hated the "jolty-ness" of the SMG. Opting for the 6MT.

Call me weird but I'm a few months shy of my 21st birthday and I very much prefer a 6MT over the DCT. On the contrary, most of my transfer student friends are die hard DCT fans. I think it's all culture influenced when speaking about preference.
The SMG was jolty when driven like an auto. BMW intended to kill the manual with the E60 M5, but relented mid-cycle for US market only (IIRC it was only avail in US)

Last edited by F32Fleet; 04-09-2016 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0