BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Loss of communication

09-23-2023, 01:04 PM   #1
claycourter01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
Loss of communication

Enjoying the 2023 F90 from arrival in April, and it completed the 1200 mile break in review without any issues. Had an interesting event yesterday, where the car was fine all day, then I drove it to the grocery store, parked and shut down. When I returned and started the car it lost all communication; did not have my profile, didn't recognize my phone, and radio stations and BMW navigation were also not available. Shutting down and restarting the car had no effect.

The car drove fine, though there was minimal information available in the dash. So I drove a few minutes, hoping for the best, and eventually the car decided to reload my profile and everything came back on line, without any intervention from me. There were no check control messages.

This is the second time this has occurred. I can't correlate it with anything specific. Anyone else experience this?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 02:45 PM   #2
pmsteinm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
I've had a couple times where the traffic data was missing but it still loaded my profile. I also had a few days a couple weeks ago where it would restore my profile and all settings except the ambient light color. In all cases the problem went away after a day or two. I assume BMW was having issues with their backend. This is one thing I don't like about all the companies putting everything in the cloud and data mining you: Everything ends up going through a single point of failure.

I also had 1 full iDrive crash where all screens went blank. The car drove fine through this 5 second crash & reboot. Pretty sure this crash was caused by pressing the media list button which running android auto at the exact moment iDrive displayed a "rough road" indication.

Yay software.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 06:03 PM   #3
logicators
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by claycourter01 View Post
Enjoying the 2023 F90 from arrival in April, and it completed the 1200 mile break in review without any issues. Had an interesting event yesterday, where the car was fine all day, then I drove it to the grocery store, parked and shut down. When I returned and started the car it lost all communication; did not have my profile, didn't recognize my phone, and radio stations and BMW navigation were also not available. Shutting down and restarting the car had no effect.

The car drove fine, though there was minimal information available in the dash. So I drove a few minutes, hoping for the best, and eventually the car decided to reload my profile and everything came back on line, without any intervention from me. There were no check control messages.

This is the second time this has occurred. I can't correlate it with anything specific. Anyone else experience this?
You must have bought broccoli and stored in the trunk. Seems like you missed the memo on veggies F90 doesn’t like 🤣

On a serious note, my 2023 also decided not to recognize my profile once. It won’t connect with airplay as well. But restarting both the phone and the car did the trick. Also, I went through software upgrades twice and it forgot most settings I the profile each time (disables remote start from the key, forgets M button config). Super annoying!!
Appreciate 0