BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls    BMW Oil Change Program

05-18-2023, 06:58 PM   #1
Rup91
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5/ 2024 X7 40i

BMW Oil Change Program

Hello all!

I have a 2018 M5 with around 62,xxx miles. I recently received an email from BMW with the following offer.

3yr/ unlimited miles oil change

Assuming they only do an oil change when the service minder goes off, I would only benefit from 3 oil change services at approximately 10k miles each. That comes out to around $75 per oil change. I would be doing an oil change in between at 5k miles at an approximate cost of $130.

It sounds like a deal, however I’m not sure how I feel having a dealer touch my car given some of you alls experiences. Especially the weight of the oil used. What are you all’s thought on this offer? Is this something you guys would opt for? Or just keep doing it myself every 5k miles with good quality oil?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 01:05 PM   #2
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rup91 View Post
Hello all!

I have a 2018 M5 with around 62,xxx miles. I recently received an email from BMW with the following offer.

3yr/ unlimited miles oil change

Assuming they only do an oil change when the service minder goes off, I would only benefit from 3 oil change services at approximately 10k miles each. That comes out to around $75 per oil change. I would be doing an oil change in between at 5k miles at an approximate cost of $130.

It sounds like a deal, however I’m not sure how I feel having a dealer touch my car given some of you alls experiences. Especially the weight of the oil used. What are you all’s thought on this offer? Is this something you guys would opt for? Or just keep doing it myself every 5k miles with good quality oil?
For what it’s worth my driven hard M5 needs an oil change every 5000 to 5500, max 6000 miles, even though the car’s service interval is 10,000 miles. My dealership’s view of covering “earlier” oil changes is that if the car indicates an oil change service is required, they will perform the service under the car’s (included) UltimateCare.

If you’re getting oil changes at that rate, too, it is likely worth it even more. Do you find your car holds to the service interval more or less?

I don’t personally have the time to conduct my own oil changes, and I have had some not confidence expiring experiences with my dealership, especially as of late. A few weeks ago, after seasonal tire changeover, the car needed to go back three days in a row because of a terrible alignment causing the car to drift to the right. Even with something like this happening, I trust them to change my oil and the like. With all the being said, my car is newer and leased. If they destroy my car somehow, that’s their problem — not mine.

If I did keep cars after their factory UltimateCare had expired, and I didn’t want to deal with oil changes (which is the case), and the car needed an oil change every 5 to 6k, I’d take this.

As for oil weight, if I were to do my own oil changes, I’d just use whatever the car calls for that is indicated on the fuel cap door. Not necessarily because it’s the best — a lot of owners here say that it’s pretty generic oil in that it’s designed to be sufficient for “most” people’s driving characteristics, and use cases that are on the more extreme ends of the spectrum (i.e. extremely high/low ambient temperatures, extreme altitude, etc.) deserve scenario specific oil. I agree with all of this.

If you want to do your oil changes yourself, skip the offer and wrench away.
      05-19-2023, 02:45 PM   #3
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

That is a good deal but are you sure it applies to the M5 in the fine print? When I brought that deal up at the dealer, they told me it does not apply to the M5 and wanted about $300 for EACH oil change.

My brothers 2018 540i Msport is about to have the warranty run out and he is signing up for that deal right away.
Appreciate 1
Rup9168.50
      05-19-2023, 03:46 PM   #4
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

$75 for an oil change using $135 worth of parts would be a good deal. $21 for a filter, $11 per liter x 10L for oil, and $4 for a drain plug at dealer prices. Plus labor. Maybe they are losing money to bring out of warranty cars in for simple servicing so they can try to scare owners into agreeing to a lot of other maintenance or repairs. Old trick if that is what it is.

If this really is valid and there was a dealer at the end of my street, though, I might buy 2 of these packages if they would change my oil twice a year. But there is no dealer at the end of my street and I can change my own oil in about the same time I could drive to the dealer (not counting the sitting around and waiting and the drive home). They do wash your car for you, but I can also do that or drive through a car wash.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 05:55 PM   #5
Rup91
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneM3 View Post
That is a good deal but are you sure it applies to the M5 in the fine print? When I brought that deal up at the dealer, they told me it does not apply to the M5 and wanted about $300 for EACH oil change.

My brothers 2018 540i Msport is about to have the warranty run out and he is signing up for that deal right away.

I got an email and when I clicked on "warranty and service" tab on My Garage, the offer was there as well. I would assume they know the type of car as I'm clicking on the M5 with a VIN not a standard 5 series. I think I will opt for it just because I think they will gamble on the fact that when they perform their multi point inspection, they will scare me into something which I will decline and just do it myself.

I'll let you know if its valid on the M5.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 05:56 PM   #6
Rup91
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
$75 for an oil change using $135 worth of parts would be a good deal. $21 for a filter, $11 per liter x 10L for oil, and $4 for a drain plug at dealer prices. Plus labor. Maybe they are losing money to bring out of warranty cars in for simple servicing so they can try to scare owners into agreeing to a lot of other maintenance or repairs. Old trick if that is what it is.

If this really is valid and there was a dealer at the end of my street, though, I might buy 2 of these packages if they would change my oil twice a year. But there is no dealer at the end of my street and I can change my own oil in about the same time I could drive to the dealer (not counting the sitting around and waiting and the drive home). They do wash your car for you, but I can also do that or drive through a car wash.
I think the multi-point inspection will be the cherry on top. I'll let them tell me everything and just get it done myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 06:00 PM   #7
Rup91
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
For what it’s worth my driven hard M5 needs an oil change every 5000 to 5500, max 6000 miles, even though the car’s service interval is 10,000 miles. My dealership’s view of covering “earlier” oil changes is that if the car indicates an oil change service is required, they will perform the service under the car’s (included) UltimateCare.

If you’re getting oil changes at that rate, too, it is likely worth it even more. Do you find your car holds to the service interval more or less?

I don’t personally have the time to conduct my own oil changes, and I have had some not confidence expiring experiences with my dealership, especially as of late. A few weeks ago, after seasonal tire changeover, the car needed to go back three days in a row because of a terrible alignment causing the car to drift to the right. Even with something like this happening, I trust them to change my oil and the like. With all the being said, my car is newer and leased. If they destroy my car somehow, that’s their problem — not mine.

If I did keep cars after their factory UltimateCare had expired, and I didn’t want to deal with oil changes (which is the case), and the car needed an oil change every 5 to 6k, I’d take this.

As for oil weight, if I were to do my own oil changes, I’d just use whatever the car calls for that is indicated on the fuel cap door. Not necessarily because it’s the best — a lot of owners here say that it’s pretty generic oil in that it’s designed to be sufficient for “most” people’s driving characteristics, and use cases that are on the more extreme ends of the spectrum (i.e. extremely high/low ambient temperatures, extreme altitude, etc.) deserve scenario specific oil. I agree with all of this.

If you want to do your oil changes yourself, skip the offer and wrench away.
I'm far beyond the manufacturer's warranty. I plan on keeping this car and baby it. I don't drive it like its meant to unfortunately. Living in Houston with traffic is a nightmare. I tried the back roads and almost totaled my car if it weren't for the night vision; almost hit a deer. I do like the idea of having the oil changes listed on the carfax by getting them done at the dealer, which would mean less headaches for the warranty company whenever I file a claim.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 06:37 PM   #8
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rup91 View Post
I'm far beyond the manufacturer's warranty. I plan on keeping this car and baby it. I don't drive it like its meant to unfortunately. Living in Houston with traffic is a nightmare. I tried the back roads and almost totaled my car if it weren't for the night vision; almost hit a deer. I do like the idea of having the oil changes listed on the carfax by getting them done at the dealer, which would mean less headaches for the warranty company whenever I file a claim.
Then definitely keep it and baby it! You have the know how to do proper maintenance yourself, and you intend on keeping it for a while. Perhaps skip the offer and continue to do what it seems like you’ve done until now.

I live in a big, dense, and traffic from hell city, too, but I can tell you that I still enjoy the car — even if it’s a quarter mile at a time, from traffic light to traffic light. Still puts a smile on my face every time.
      05-19-2023, 07:56 PM   #9
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

I looked it up in my BMW My Garage and I do not have that offer. When I look at the email with that deal that I received from the dealer, it says that the car must be at least 60 months old or have 60,000 miles. I am 48 months and about 42,000 miles so I will sign up for it next year. I don't see any fine print about it not applying to M cars.

The dealer has a separate "special" for $179 oil changes and that only includes cars in the "value service" program and the M5 is not one of those.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 09:28 AM   #10
sys999
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

In my experience not valid on M5. Hell my local dealership wouldn’t even honor a single $179.99 offer and tried to charge me something like $400 for an oil change before I told them to pound sand.

“By M cars we meant M cars excluding the M2, M3, M4, M5, M6, and M8.”
“So you mean non-M cars…”
“No, the M550i is included.”
“So you mean non-M cars…”
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594140.00