BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls    BMW Covererd Service - How early can you go for an oil change?

03-09-2023, 09:39 AM   #1
jimmyf90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
BMW Covererd Service - How early can you go for an oil change?

Computer shows oil change service due in 1,100 miles. They cover the manual stated interval or the computer which ever comes sooner. The question is from a convenience standpoint how early will they change the oil? I am at about 6,000 interval with current driving habits and it’s due in 1,100.

I have an appointment at the dealer for the parking sensors and curious if I can have the oil banged out as well while it’s in there next week? The mileage will probably be down to 800-900 until service is due at that point.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 11:24 AM   #2
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyf90 View Post
Computer shows oil change service due in 1,100 miles. They cover the manual stated interval or the computer which ever comes sooner. The question is from a convenience standpoint how early will they change the oil? I am at about 6,000 interval with current driving habits and it’s due in 1,100.

I have an appointment at the dealer for the parking sensors and curious if I can have the oil banged out as well while it’s in there next week? The mileage will probably be down to 800-900 until service is due at that point.
In my personal experience, I’ve found this to be dealer/SA dependent. If I’ve been at the dealership for something unrelated to regularly scheduled maintenance and I’m less than 1,000 miles away from being due for the oil change, my SA has always offered me to have it done. Sometimes I take him up on his offer if I don’t want to come back in a few weeks, and sometimes I hold off because I like to stick to BMW’s maintenance schedule as close as possible within reason.

I am unaware though if BMW sets a threshold; i.e., you have to be within XXX miles before they will allow the dealership to provide included maintenance.

It can’t hurt to ask, but you should call your SA/dealership and let them know so that they can block off the additional time that would be necessary for your appointment (which is only about 1 hour).
      03-09-2023, 11:27 AM   #3
jimmyf90
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
Yeah it would just be easier I doubt there’s much harm aside from the cost of wasting oil to doing it 1,000 miles prematurely.

Who knows though, thanks for the feedback! I guess I could always push the other item (parking sensors), but kinda want that done ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 11:31 AM   #4
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah it would just be easier I doubt there’s much harm aside from the cost of wasting oil to doing it 1,000 miles prematurely.

Who knows though, thanks for the feedback! I guess I could always push the other item (parking sensors), but kinda want that done ASAP.
You’re welcome! There’s no harm other than “burning” one of your oil changes a bit earlier. Obviously less of an issue if the car is leased.

EDIT — I was wrong. There is no “burning” of one. As the original owner, you get as many as the car or service manual requires within 3 years or 36K miles.
      03-12-2023, 05:16 PM   #5
jimmyf90
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
You’re welcome! There’s no harm other than “burning” one of your oil changes a bit earlier. Obviously less of an issue if the car is leased.
Burning it? As it was explained to me, the initial covered service covers 3 years / 36K miles which ever comes first and it covered the oil changes at whichever interval comes first - the vehicle or the mileage / time state in the manual. So if the car suggests every 6,000 miles you’d get 6 provided you did the 36K miles in the first 3 years.

Is that not correct?
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2023, 06:52 PM   #6
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Burning it? As it was explained to me, the initial covered service covers 3 years / 36K miles which ever comes first and it covered the oil changes at whichever interval comes first - the vehicle or the mileage / time state in the manual. So if the car suggests every 6,000 miles you’d get 6 provided you did the 36K miles in the first 3 years.

Is that not correct?
My sincere apologies — you are absolutely correct. You are given as many oil changes as the car indicates, or, that the service manual requires, within three years or 36,000 miles. I was confusing the current BMW Ultimate Care with another marque’s car of mine where the maximum number of oil changes within the time period is expressly delineated.

So definitely get that oil change done if you want the convenience and you’re keeping the car less than that, since you can get as many as you need, even if you go a bit early.
Attached Images