BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    RPMs dropped and car turned off on highway.

03-13-2024, 03:19 AM   #1
Omar_M5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Unhappy RPMs dropped and car turned off on highway.

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So about a week ago i was driving on the highway cruising normally , and i give the car 80% throttle and shift with the paddle shifter , suddenly the cars rpms went down to 0 and was the color red. The car went into nuetral right away and i couldnt accelerate or put it back in drive.. mind you im in the middle of the highway andd had to pull over on the dirt. So i turn the car off and back on and it was back to normal. i thought maybe it was a little glitch and ignore it, today i was driving and exact same thing happened , i got a little worried and thought maybe itll fix again, but as im driving i feel the car getting weaker in power so i try to floor it to see if the power is still ther , as i shifted aggressivly the car felt a huge unhealthy feeling jolt and felt super rough , so i stopped giving it hard gas.. im really worried that somethings going wrong with the car and cant take it to bmw because it has downpipes tune and mile stopper. has this happened to anyone els or does anyone know what it could be cause im really worried about this and dont want to drive the car till i figure the issue. please anyone let me know if they have a idea of what it can be

Last edited by Omar_M5; 03-13-2024 at 03:21 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 06:14 AM   #2
S EyeLand
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C

Check your coolant tank for leaks. Sounds like bad coils based on my prior experience. Do you know how many miles it's been since your last plug and coil change? If its been more than 30k than it could likely be that. If the car is running inconsistently, I would always look at coils first based on my experience with the S63. My F10 M5, F85 and E70 X5M all did this same exact thing and were all remedied with new coils. Scan the car for misfires, it will likely be on one bank at this point, swap the coil from misfiring cylinder with one from a working cylinder and clear the codes. Go for a drive and see if the issue follows the coil to a new bank.

Edit are you sure it shifting into neutral and not in limp mode?
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2024, 03:06 PM   #3
S EyeLand
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C

Any updates? how've u been with this? A family friend owns a shop in Staten Island, he's an absolute expert. Ex BMW master mech, he's a slightly older gentleman now... loads of experience. Ask for Luigi, tell him Tony's son Mike sent you... https://www.yelp.com/biz/verrazano-m...-staten-island. Ill PM you my last name if he doesn't know who ur talking about lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 02:15 AM   #4
Omar_M5
Registered
Rep

thanks alot for replying, sorry i just saw this but im not sure if its limp mode, the car completly just turns off basically and im forced to pull over wherever i am , i been taking it easy ever since and it hasnt happened but im afraid everytime i drive it.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 02:17 AM   #5
Omar_M5
Registered
Rep

bro thanks fr for your time and help , i tried to scan the car but i have a mile stopper so it wouldnt read. also we changed the coils a few months ago , also just ordered a brand new expanision tank to install because i did see coolent leaking.
Appreciate 0