BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 vs...    F90 M5 Competition vs Aston Martin Vantage Drag Race

02-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #67
jeffscott1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competion

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by delrosa81 View Post
For people who prioritise on image and swagger, if given just 2 choices, aston and the bmw, choosing the aston would be a natural choice.

For someone whom prioritises performance over form, the F90 M5, would be the natural choice.

For me however, if finances permit and I only have these 2 choices, I would get both and drive them for different occasions. if I could only afford one, the F90 M5 it is. it is one thing to look fast, if challenged however and you are being smoked frequently in such challenges, it does feel fustrating especially if U spent quite a fair bit of dough on the car.

F90 would be a natural choice for me.
Interesting to read the comments here. I honestly have no idea who the M5 is for other than people with too much money who also want some practicality and can't own two cars. Don't get me wrong the m5 is impressive but what exactly is it for? It doesn't have the driving feel or the price accessibility to be a good track car. It doesn't have the civility or fuel economy for straight commuting. It doesn't grab attention (at least, the kind of attention you want). And it's pretty expensive. The Aston on the other hand is a completely different animal. It looks absolutely insane. It's driving position is low, it's loud, its sporty. It's a pure weekend car--it knows what it is.

I owned an E39 M5 and that car made sense to me. It was light enough, had a manual transmission, an insane motor, and was the right size. The F90 is massive, has way too much power, is completely sterile to drive, and comes in automatic and AWD. I don't get it--at least I don't get it when you are comparing to a Vantage. There's no contest for me. Like for those of you (on the M5 board no less) saying you would "take the M5 hands down" I just can't wrap my head around that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwulffy View Post
Aston is cool but they are humongous POS's

Would take the more understated, quality, and faster M5 any day
What is this based on? Your assessment of Astons from 15 years ago?
I own a V12 vantage and will own a new style one when available. The vantage is not a track car, it's a really good getting an upfront space at the valet at your favorite restaurant car.

I have driven the new vantage and my M5 on the track. (I am a member of Atlanta Motor Park). The M5 is a much better track car and it is not even close...

I like these guys who just post shit with no knowledge or experience. If you don't own one or have spent significant time behind the wheel you shouldn't make general statements about what it is or isn't
      02-05-2019, 04:26 PM   #68
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtknight View Post
I can help here as I believe some of your comments are very much incorrect.

My responses are in-line to yours in RED.

I honestly have no idea who the M5 is for other than people with too much money who also want some practicality and can't own two cars.
You are going to have to explain that to me as the M5 is literally one of the best all round - GT - cars you can buy today. Key word today. Please below for more information on that point.

Don't get me wrong the m5 is impressive but what exactly is it for?

It doesn't have the driving feel or the price accessibility to be a good track car. Let's start here - no car in its class is a good car. The days of this class of car ever possibly being a good track car is over - for all manufacturers. So this point is moot. It can do tracking - but it is not a track car (nor really was the E39 - but it was much closer than anything today - more on that below.

It doesn't have the civility or fuel economy for straight commuting.
Whoah. The standard M5 is extremely civil. As is the CP in my opinion. Is it super soft luxury? No. But it is GT car - so it isn't supposed to be. This point is very much off of reality.

It doesn't grab attention (at least, the kind of attention you want).
I agree here. The M5 looks almost identical to the M550ix. Nor has really any BMW - more on that below. That said - I don't want attention. So this works for me.
And it's pretty expensive. The Aston on the other hand is a completely different animal. It looks absolutely insane. It's driving position is low, it's loud, its sporty. It's a pure weekend car--it knows what it is.
The Aston is the better looking and sounding car. No question. It is a pure weekend car - and much more expensive than the F90. The M5 is an all rounder - GT luxury car - more useful than the Aston and much more capable in the sporty department. And cheaper.
I owned an E39 M5 and that car made sense to me. It was light enough, had a manual transmission, an insane motor, and was the right size.
I will stop you right there. You cannot compare the E39 to anything today - in that class. Nothing. It also had engine, chassis, crappy traction control and massively bad fuel economy issues (I only bring that point up because you did). Also - no one unless a BMW person would know what it is...as most BMW's never have been flashy.

The F90 is massive, has way too much power, is completely sterile to drive, and comes in automatic and AWD.
I am going to hope you have at least driven it to make that comment. Hoping that is so - I cannot understand where you get that from. I have driven both cars - and as much as the E39 is a fixture in car history - the F90 is an amazing car to drive. The steering - not so much - but that is for any electric steering out - today (this isn't 1998) - the overall experience is quite pleasing and effective - meaning there is not way too much power (or it would not be effective). The car can be put into RWD - fully RWD - at the touch of a button (this is where I suspect you have not driven the F90). And no car in this class is a manual anymore - from any manufacturer. Either way "liking" is subjective - so fairly moot.

I don't get it--at least I don't get it when you are comparing to a Vantage. There's no contest for me.

Like for those of you (on the M5 board no less) saying you would "take the M5 hands down" I just can't wrap my head around that.

I hope the above information helps helps answer all of your questions.

Agree with all...

These cars have just two things in common. High fun factor and higher depreciation
Other than that they are different purpose cars and will likely never be cross-shopped.
Appreciate 1
vtknight966.50
      02-06-2019, 06:18 PM   #69
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

I love the first comment on how the M5 is boring and loses to a Mustang on track (LOL, forgot to see that the Mustang has Sport Cup 2's), but never mind that. The intriguing part is, have you driven an M5 to say it is just inert and boring and way too fast??

I get that if you drive it 2/10 it is boring, as it does not feel any bit more special than a 530i, making you question why you paid twice as much. But drive it 10/10 and boy oh boy.
Appreciate 1
onfireX53616.50
      02-06-2019, 07:39 PM   #70
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosM4 View Post
I love the first comment on how the M5 is boring and loses to a Mustang on track (LOL, forgot to see that the Mustang has Sport Cup 2's), but never mind that. The intriguing part is, have you driven an M5 to say it is just inert and boring and way too fast??

I get that if you drive it 2/10 it is boring, as it does not feel any bit more special than a 530i, making you question why you paid twice as much. But drive it 10/10 and boy oh boy.
As he has not commented since - and it seems I was right when I gently stated it doesn’t seem that he has in fact driven the car he is commenting on - I don’t think we will ever have an answer. Unfortunately.
Appreciate 1
CarlosM4399.00
      02-07-2019, 12:06 PM   #71
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: plenty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffscott1 View Post
After reading your bashing of the M5 I had to go back and look at some of your posts. Do you own a BMW?

First of all, you buy an M5 because it is a fast sedan that you can drive every day, that is the purpose of the car. You lose all credibility when you criticize a sedan that does the Nurburgring as fast as a 911s

The non competiton M5 did the Nurburgring @ 7:38.9 the Mustang GT was 8:07.000. the Cayman S was 7:46.7. Looks like the F90 is faster around a track than the cars you mentioned. Maybe you should check your facts. You claim to lease an Acura NSX which is 65k more than an M5 and was only 2 seconds faster around the Nurburgring than a non Comp M5, when they run the M5 Comp it will be faster than the NSX. You also claim to own an F type r which is 15 seconds slower than the "Grocery Getter" around Nurburgring, good choice of sports car.

Yes, I have owned multiple M cars.

"First of all, you buy an M5 because it is a fast sedan that you can drive every day, that is the purpose of the car."

I literally said that in the post you quoted.

"You lose all credibility when you criticize a sedan that does the Nurburgring as fast as a 911s"

Nurburgring? Seriously. If there a SINGLE track that benefits from 600hp, it's THAT track. Any "reasonable" track is slow for the M5.

You can see here: The F90 M5 is surrounded by Mustangs, Camaros, older Porsches, etc for lap times.

https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna-seca-post-1988
https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/autozeitung-test-track
https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/virgi...e-post-01-2014

You can look at those "laptimes" you care so much about to see that it's laptimes are quite literally nothing special.

Bashing an M5? How am I bashing it by stating complete facts? I said if I wanted performance AND form, I'd buy a 991 GT3 for 120-130k if that's my concern (which it isn't). The M5 is a comfy and fast but NOT track focused daily driver. How is that wrong?

"You claim to lease an Acura NSX which is 65k more than an M5 and was only 2 seconds faster around the Nurburgring than a non Comp M5, when they run the M5 Comp it will be faster than the NSX. You also claim to own an F type r which is 15 seconds slower than the "Grocery Getter" around Nurburgring, good choice of sports car."

What the hell does that matter? I buy what I like, not what YOU like LOL. An F-Type R is a different kind of car. An NSX is a different type of car. If I'm going to go "driving", those are a HELL of a lot more enjoyable drivers cars than an M5. I don't care that an F90 M5 is faster than a 997 GT3 around a track, because guess what, it will never drive the same way. My new addition does the ring much faster than an F90 M5, but I don't care.. you know why? Because I live in America and will not set foot on the track except once every few years for an hour on a European Delivery. Sorry, I don't care about laptimes on high speed tracks like you do buddy. I'd rather have a drivers car be a weekend car and a comfy grocery getter with a bit of power as my daily.

Last edited by GhostyM; 02-07-2019 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: Added track times
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 12:15 PM   #72
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosM4 View Post

Quote:
As he has not commented since - and it seems I was right when I gently stated it doesn’t seem that he has in fact driven the car he is commenting on - I don’t think we will ever have an answer. Unfortunately.
I drove the red frozen edition M5 (when it released a while ago) and it's a rocket for a sedan, but what some on this thread fail to realize, is that someone said "If I want form, I'll go for Aston, if I want performance, I'll go M5"

An M5 is comfy and fast but it's not a looker like an Aston, it's not special like a 997.2 RS around a track, it's just a daily driver. There is no other point to the car. Like literally zero. And there is nothing wrong with that, just like how a Z06 is a weekend and track car, it can be daily driven but it's not really GOOD for it like a M5 may be.

Then I said "Why not both and get a GT3 because you get BOTH" in regards to performance and looks for 120-130k.

Reading comprehension is amiss with some people.

If we are talking exclusively luxury and speed, there probably isn't a better buy outside of it's E63 competition etc.. but as far as track focused... this is NOT the car for tracks. 99% of F90 M5 owners will NOT see the track and if they do... it's nowhere near as much fun as cars that cost twice as much OR half as much. Think 458/GT3/Miata/S2000/E92 M3 etc.. aka not 4200lb+ luxobarges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotk View Post
This is a weird conversation.

Who in the world is cross shopping an Aston with an M5.

The Aston is a beautiful, attention getting car. That's why people buy them. It's fast enough, but agree it should be faster.

The M5 is a completely different animal. A good looking, under the radar Q-ship with massive reserves of power. A family sedan that destroys stop lights and the highway but can also be thrown around corners.

You don't buy an M5 to show off and you don't really buy one for the track, though it can hold it's own.

Comparing the M5 to a 991.1 GT3 makes even less sense.

The reason I brought up a 991.1 GT3 was because I was making a point about wanting both performance AND looks in one package if THAT is what you're looking for if you're going to spend 120k on a car rather than an M5.
If we're talking luxury in any of these conversations, these cars are out (because they are NOT comfy).

Last edited by GhostyM; 02-07-2019 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #73
vtknight
Major
Rep

Since you seem to intimate people are mi-reading (although my comments were not from your post...but since you brought it up and quoted me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyM View Post
People pick Aston because of it's looks and 500hp too bit isn't bad. It's not faster than the F90 but it doesn't need to be. Depends on what you want from your car.

Prioritizing performance over form wouldn't lead to an F90 M5 at all if that your criteria.. Really? Why?an M5 is a fast grocery getter that is used all over the US as a DAILY DRIVER. It's an all around family sedan with 600hp. No need to explain it further. It's comfy and can keep up with fast cars in only a straight line. As it was already stated in the quote below - it is the quickest car in its class around the Nurburgring - and that is the standard F90 M5. Stating only short track work qualifies is silly. All this despite the fact - NO cars in this class are track cars.

M5 is only good in 1/4 mile runs. False. It's an all rounder. It isn't only good at straight line racing.

It won't out-handle cars at half it's price around a racetrack. Even a 2018 Mustang GT PP did a faster lap than the F90 M5 by almost 2 seconds around VIR and the F90 barely outpaced a 718 Cayman S (which has 215+hp less, more like 250hp if you include the understated hp figures from the M5). None of these cars are the F90's competition. I don't know why you are bringing these points up.

The only purpose an M5 has to offer is the fact that it's a comfy and super fast daily that you can go shopping with and have some minor fun on the weekends. If I'm spending 120k for performance over form.. why not both? I'd be looking at 991.1 GT3/2017 R8 V10 (non pluses) and keeping my money rather than blowing 50k of it away in 2 years time with buying a new M5. Just saying. This also doesn't compute. GT3's are much more expensive than a new F90 M5. As is an R8 V10. So I don't understand the "extra 50K" comment. I also don't understand what your other car is on top on your 991.1 GT3?
I hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
The
M5 set the record for the Quickest Lightning Lap everrrr for a 4 door sedan at VIR.......not bad.....
^This.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2019, 08:14 PM   #74
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Since you seem to intimate people are mi-reading (although my comments were not from your post...but since you brought it up and quoted me:
Well I won't explain it any further because if you see the post I quote announcing my thoughts, you'll see why I bring up a 991.1 GT3, R8 V10 as well as a Mustang.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 09:31 PM   #75
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
Well I won't explain it any further because if you see the post I quote announcing my thoughts, you'll see why I bring up a 991.1 GT3, R8 V10 as well as a Mustang.
I do - and as I said - even if you could get a 991.1 GT3’s for 120-130K (unless GT3’s are that easy to get in your area) - they are not an all rounder. RWD - track specific car. Not RS specific - but the GT cars are track focused. 2+2. Plus - that second car is going to put you out another 50-80K - minimum. Now a Turbo or Turbo S - are the true all rounders in the Porsche line up with performance - though still 2+2, they are AWD. The Mustang piece we already covered. They dont directly compete - and the Mustang is not beating an M5 Competition on almost any track. That said - and as I have stated before - no car in the M5’s class is a track car. And you agree. They can do track - and pretty impressively well when you think a 997.1 Turbo couldn’t run the Nurburgring in much under 8!minutes (nor could the 997 GT3).

Neither of the cars you name are luxury cars either. Nor do they have the luxury amenities of - for example - massaging seats (which I use every day). Long distance cruisers in any weather. The Aston is a weekend car. Although it out-GT’s your two GT examples by a mile. Especially on the luxury side. But the Aston comes up short performance wise and isn’t AWD. So it loses out - all round - to the F90 M5. The best all rounder in its class. Which is why people buy it. One car - all tasks.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 11:02 PM   #76
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I do - and as I said - even if you could get a 991.1 GT3’s for 120-130K (unless GT3’s are that easy to get in your area) - they are not an all rounder. RWD - track specific car. Not RS specific - but the GT cars are track focused. 2+2. Plus - that second car is going to put you out another 50-80K - minimum. Now a Turbo or Turbo S - are the true all rounders in the Porsche line up with performance - though still 2+2, they are AWD. The Mustang piece we already covered. They dont directly compete - and the Mustang is not beating an M5 Competition on almost any track. That said - and as I have stated before - no car in the M5’s class is a track car. And you agree. They can do track - and pretty impressively well when you think a 997.1 Turbo couldn’t run the Nurburgring in much under 8!minutes (nor could the 997 GT3).

Neither of the cars you name are luxury cars either. Nor do they have the luxury amenities of - for example - massaging seats (which I use every day). Long distance cruisers in any weather. The Aston is a weekend car. Although it out-GT’s your two GT examples by a mile. Especially on the luxury side. But the Aston comes up short performance wise and isn’t AWD. So it loses out - all round - to the F90 M5. The best all rounder in its class. Which is why people buy it. One car - all tasks.
Oh I don't disagree with any point you're making. The only thing that bothered me was people arguing lap times for the sake of "praising" the car when it's not even made for that.

I was merely explaining what the difference is between form and performance. Form being looks and attention getting to performance being well... performance. And that for 120-130k (check cars.com, 2014-2015 GT3's) you can get a used GT3 with 3-4k miles on them and have best of both worlds.. IF we're strictly talking performance and form. Essentially I'm trying to discern what the M5 is actually suited for, rather than reaching and calling it a "track weapon" like some of the posters are insinuating by quoting lap times. VIR and Ring lap times quite literally mean nothing for the M5. It's literally a dick measuring contest over something 99% of M5 owners won't do. Yes, it's fast around "some" high speed tracks that mostly ignore it's 4200lb frame, but this whole thread was about comparing an Aston Martin to an M5. Obviously they don't compete against each other, but there is no denying that side by side, 95% of people would go for the looker Aston Martin if it was handed on a silver platter. Then performance was brought up, and I simply stated that if performance is a marker, then maybe your best bet is buying a GT3 rather than an M5.

As far as the M5 being faster than a 997 GT3, well it's the ring.. and the ring LOVES power. Take a track like Tsukuba or something technical that doesn't have 2 mile long straights, and it's weight quickly becomes something that you notice.

For 120k on an M5 you get a high 120's trap comfy daily driver that can be "somewhat" fun on side roads. A great all rounder. But it doesn't hold even a baby sized candle to some of the other cars I've mentioned in regards to feel, noise, etc. As far as pure driving pleasure, the F90 M5 is not that.

I'm tempted by a 2017 Turbo S as we speak and I think you owned one at some point so I'm in process of locking down one in a PTS color as we speak funnily enough.

Last edited by GhostyM; 02-07-2019 at 11:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 11:55 PM   #77
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
Oh I don't disagree with any point you're making. The only thing that bothered me was people arguing lap times for the sake of "praising" the car when it's not even made for that.

I was merely explaining what the difference is between form and performance. Form being looks and attention getting to performance being well... performance. And that for 120-130k (check cars.com, 2014-2015 GT3's) you can get a used GT3 with 3-4k miles on them and have best of both worlds.. IF we're strictly talking performance and form. Essentially I'm trying to discern what the M5 is actually suited for, rather than reaching and calling it a "track weapon" like some of the posters are insinuating by quoting lap times. VIR and Ring lap times quite literally mean nothing for the M5. It's literally a dick measuring contest over something 99% of M5 owners won't do. Yes, it's fast around "some" high speed tracks that mostly ignore it's 4200lb frame, but this whole thread was about comparing an Aston Martin to an M5. Obviously they don't compete against each other, but there is no denying that side by side, 95% of people would go for the looker Aston Martin if it was handed on a silver platter. Then performance was brought up, and I simply stated that if performance is a marker, then maybe your best bet is buying a GT3 rather than an M5.

As far as the M5 being faster than a 997 GT3, well it's the ring.. and the ring LOVES power. Take a track like Tsukuba or something technical that doesn't have 2 mile long straights, and it's weight quickly becomes something that you notice.

For 120k on an M5 you get a high 120's trap comfy daily driver that can be "somewhat" fun on side roads. A great all rounder. But it doesn't hold even a baby sized candle to some of the other cars I've mentioned in regards to feel, noise, etc. As far as pure driving pleasure, the F90 M5 is not that.

I'm tempted by a 2017 Turbo S as we speak and I think you owned one at some point so I'm in process of locking down one in a PTS color as we speak funnily enough.
This is back to subjective and objective criteria. "...in regards to feel, noise, etc. As far as pure driving pleasure, the F90 M5 is not that." Beyond noise - nothing there is objective. Pleasure is in the perspective of the driver/owner. One for one - and I love the look of the Astons - I would not take an Aston over an M5 as my all rounder - daily driver - all season car. Beyond their terrible build quality - yes far worse than BMW's - they have some serious issues. Drive has a video with Matt Farah and one of the new Astons and he coudl fit hit iphone into the body seams on the car. Another car was so bad - Aston has to give him another one. Again - love the cars - not a fan of the quality or performance. I am surprised about the price of used GT3's - they are much more expensive than where I am from - but again - not an all rounder - daily driver - all season car. Just people carrying capacity makes the F90 M5 a winner there - forget AWD.

The marker is BOTH. Performance and function. Form is subjective. The F90 is one of the best all rounders available - the best in my opinion because no other car in its class is as good in performance and function as the F90 M5 (E63S is close - but ride and even performance are slightly less - Audi RS7 is closer in luxury ride - but slower than both the newer E63S and F90 M5). Tesla beats the F90 in straight line performance - but isn't close in road course capability (although neither is a track car). My F90 CP was raced on a small local road course and produced a time slightly better than a 6th gen Camaro SS 1LE and almost in the range of a C7 GS - while having crap tires. SO - that is something for a 4300 lb car. I won't track it - but it can track. Half a tenth to a full tenth and 1 MPH off a 991.2 Turbo in the 1/4 mile. And massaging seats and what I drive in the winter.

One car ownership - none of the cars you stated are favourably comparable. All round.

I am a fan of the 991.2 Turbo S - and think it is the best performance all rounder in the world. Stock for stock. It is almost the quickest, as quick around the track as the GT3RS (991.1 to 991.1 at least) - and has excellent luxury and GT comfort compared to its rivals. MOdding path - even at tune and bolt on is very solid. I hope to be in one soon...

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 07:16 PM   #78
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black

I've said as much in other posts; I think my 991.2 Turbo is the best stock all-rounder GT Car. I tracked my F10 M5 maybe 30+ times. I've tracked my turbo more then that. I'm quicker around the tracks I frequent (Road America, ABCC, Road Atlanta to name a few) in the Turbo.

Funny thing is, both the M5 and the Turbo are understated IMO. Both are very fast versions of "lesser" models in the range and to joe public, they couldn't tell either were special models.

Which brings me to the AM. IMO, Everyone would consider any AM a special car. Thus its appeal. For me personally, if im driving a car that "looks" fast, it better be fast. And fast by today's standards if its a late model car. Thus while I appreciate the AM styling, I'll pick performance over looks. And I realize that is completely subject perspective. 😎
Appreciate 2
vtknight966.50
onfireX53616.50
      02-11-2019, 11:39 PM   #79
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
I've said as much in other posts; I think my 991.2 Turbo is the best stock all-rounder GT Car. I tracked my F10 M5 maybe 30+ times. I've tracked my turbo more then that. I'm quicker around the tracks I frequent (Road America, ABCC, Road Atlanta to name a few) in the Turbo.

Funny thing is, both the M5 and the Turbo are understated IMO. Both are very fast versions of "lesser" models in the range and to joe public, they couldn't tell either were special models.

Which brings me to the AM. IMO, Everyone would consider any AM a special car. Thus its appeal. For me personally, if im driving a car that "looks" fast, it better be fast. And fast by today's standards if its a late model car. Thus while I appreciate the AM styling, I'll pick performance over looks. And I realize that is completely subject perspective. 😎
I agree. Subjectively, what you want is what you want. I also agree that the Aston is a more beautiful and definitely "outspoken" car than the M5 - arguable more beautiful that the Porsche (but I am a huge Porsche fan). I am also a performance first person and tend not to buy flash. I have nothing against flash - but I am not ready to plunge into the uber price ranges of Aventadors and 720S's. Yet. I seriously considered the 720S - as it is literally the quickest and fastest car for the dollar and exotic pedigree available today - 9's and mid 140 MPH in the 1/4. That is insane for a stock car - especially an exotic.

Maybe one day - but for now - the Porsche fan in me - and the all round decathlete as Vic put it - one of the quickest and fastest cars out there (10.5 - 10.7 at 129-131 MPH) - consistently - and 205 MPH with the same road course capabilities as the GT3RS (at least 991.1 to 991.1) - while being a true GT car with refinement, luxury and long distance potential - makes it the overall winner. Which is why I am looking into this seriously.

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 12:51 PM   #80
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
I agree. Subjectively, what you want is what you want. I also agree that the Aston is a more beautiful and definitely "outspoken" car than the M5 - arguable more beautiful that the Porsche (but I am a huge Porsche fan). I am also a performance first person and tend not to buy flash. I have nothing against flash - but I am not ready to plunge into the uber price ranges of Aventadors and 720S's. Yet. I seriously considered the 720S - as it is literally the quickest and fastest car for the dollar and exotic pedigree available today - 9's and mid 140 MPH in the 1/4. That is insane for a stock car - especially an exotic.

Maybe one day - but for now - the Porsche fan in me - and the all round decathlete as Vic put it - one of the quickest and fastest cars out there (10.5 - 10.7 at 129-131 MPH) - consistently - and 205 MPH with the same road course capabilities as the GT3RS (at least 991.1 to 991.1) - while being a true GT car with refinement, luxury and long distance potential - makes it the overall winner. Which is why I am looking into this seriously.
I too, am looking at the 720S as the used pricing is shockingly low. But I fear that with all the performance Ill be scared of a few things: a continued depreciation curve that's very steep and true usability. I would not get the 720 for daily driving but I often found that when had cars that looked like that or attracted that much attention, I was more inclined to hop into my... Turbo S or other more clinical performance applications. I guess I just hated always looking back when I parked in the mall, grocery store lot, etc to see who would park next me.

But... the performance is so shocking that it has piqued my interest no matter how much the car is "look at me" or high maintenance.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 1
vtknight966.50
      02-12-2019, 08:11 PM   #81
Quickburn7
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Quote:

I too, am looking at the 720S as the used pricing is shockingly low. But I fear that with all the performance Ill be scared of a few things: a continued depreciation curve that's very steep and true usability. I would not get the 720 for daily driving but I often found that when had cars that looked like that or attracted that much attention, I was more inclined to hop into my... Turbo S or other more clinical performance applications. I guess I just hated always looking back when I parked in the mall, grocery store lot, etc to see who would park next me.

But... the performance is so shocking that it has piqued my interest no matter how much the car is "look at me" or high maintenance.
Wait until they release the 750 LT and prices on the 720 S will drop some more.
Appreciate 1
vtknight966.50
      02-12-2019, 10:28 PM   #82
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickburn7 View Post
Wait until they release the 750 LT and prices on the 720 S will drop some more.
Then the 780S which replaces the 720S, then the 825LT all within 2 years
      02-21-2019, 06:55 PM   #83
jeffscott1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffscott1 View Post
Quote:
People pick Aston because of it's looks a

M5 is only good in 1/4 mile runs.

It won't out-handle cars at half it's price around a racetrack. Even a 2018 Mustang GT PP did a faster lap than the F90 M5 by almost 2 seconds around VIR and the F90 barely outpaced a 718 Cayman S (which has 215+hp less, more like 250hp if you include the understated hp figures from the M5).
After reading your bashing of the M5 I had to go back and look at some of your posts. Do you own a BMW?

First of all, you buy an M5 because it is a fast sedan that you can drive every day, that is the purpose of the car. You lose all credibility when you criticize a sedan that does the Nurburgring as fast as a 911s

The non competiton M5 did the Nurburgring @ 7:38.9 the Mustang GT was 8:07.000. the Cayman S was 7:46.7. Looks like the F90 is faster around a track than the cars you mentioned. Maybe you should check your facts. You claim to lease an Acura NSX which is 65k more than an M5 and was only 2 seconds faster around the Nurburgring than a non Comp M5, when they run the M5 Comp it will be faster than the NSX. You also claim to own an F type r which is 15 seconds slower than the "Grocery Getter" around Nurburgring, good choice of sports car.
The base M5 was just on the grand tour, it was #8 around their track beating the GT3rs and Nissan GTR. So much for this genius' statements
      02-22-2019, 12:46 PM   #84
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

this thread is a shitshow, Jesus
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 01:50 PM   #85
josec70
Major General
United_States
Rep