BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    F8X M3/M4 to M5 (Your Experience)

03-26-2019, 10:15 AM   #1
GlazierGlaze
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi RS6

F8X M3/M4 to M5 (Your Experience)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Any of you F90 M5 guys move over from the F8X platform? What are some pros and cons in your experience?

I was planning on holding onto my (heavily modified) M4 until the G80 is launched, however, while my wife's X3 was in for service I was given a new M550i loaner. I was shocked at how much I enjoyed the car. The convenience, tech, comfort, etc. is another level compared to my car. Also, the car was surprisingly fast for what it is. Now I have yet to test an F90 M5 but I am giving it some thought. I'm afraid that I will like it too much.

Sidenote: I've already got the M4 as I mentioned above. I also have an X3 that we're looking to replace with a G05 X5 lease. Likely 3-4 years at max from our first kid.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 11:17 AM   #2
lankymidget
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp

I've only just got my F90 in place of a F80 I had for around 3Y. In this limited time (week) the first things I've noticed are:
- it's not as 'raw' as the M3 is/was. As soon as you sit in the seat, you know it. More support, more cushion, more luxury feel and as soon as the door closes, you feel the cabin's been sealed in. I never felt the M3 lacked luxury, but this car will make you feel it did. Then the transmission is so much smoother than the DCT. Even in its lowest setting, the DCT still felt a little jerky at low speed and between 1st and 2nd. Not this guy, shifts are quick but smooth.
- it's not as urgent as the M3. I felt I wanted to drive the M3 hard... cos the M3 wants to be driven hard. The overall feel of the car just felt like ripping it around. This guy is subdued, feels like a luxury cruiser. But... as soon as you give it some it's a beast. In the last couple of days I've given in at times and you feel and know this thing is immensely strong. It's like a guy that's matured and more chill than his younger self, but could rip something in half with a simple flick of a switch if needed.
- it's big. In my test drives (non-Comp) I knew this was a bigger car, felt bigger in the drive etc, but didn't have a good handle on dimensions until I drove my own and had to fit it into the usual parking spots and garage. Tuck his nose right into the garage and it's bum just clears the door. whereas the M3 had good foot to clear.
I should have expected but didn't realize it was this much bigger.
But throwing it into bends, it does well to make you forget it's size. it doesn't feel as squirly as the M3 did on uneven roads at speed. it stays nicely planted whether straight or on a curve.

My first day or two... I thought I'd made a mistake. this is a luxury boat like car and not as raw as my M3. end of week... I'm loving it even though I can't push it until the breakin is done. It eats up hwy miles so easily and it'll have you doing 50 over without breaking a sweat or making you realize. Push it and it's Dr Banner gives you a peak of the Hulk. After 2K+ I'm sure I will not be looking back...
      03-26-2019, 01:24 PM   #3
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

I came from the f80 platform as well. Pure turbos, clutches, e85 tune and too much to type.

F90 is different. The power is there. Luxury is way different from the f80. Honestly wish they had the power of the f90 in the f80 platform with awd. The space is nice. Honesty love the car. But let's see how long this love last
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 09:13 PM   #4
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlazierGlaze View Post
Any of you F90 M5 guys move over from the F8X platform? What are some pros and cons in your experience?

I was planning on holding onto my (heavily modified) M4 until the G80 is launched, however, while my wife's X3 was in for service I was given a new M550i loaner. I was shocked at how much I enjoyed the car. The convenience, tech, comfort, etc. is another level compared to my car. Also, the car was surprisingly fast for what it is. Now I have yet to test an F90 M5 but I am giving it some thought. I'm afraid that I will like it too much.

Sidenote: I've already got the M4 as I mentioned above. I also have an X3 that we're looking to replace with a G05 X5 lease. Likely 3-4 years at max from our first kid.

Thanks!
I drove all M3's and the M5
M5 with tune is wicked fast , it's crazy!!!

M3 is about 800Lbs lighter and definitely handles better on track, which is really what I Love.
Now I am waiting on G80 M3 with MT

She will se the track every weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M ARMY View Post
I came from the f80 platform as well. Pure turbos, clutches, e85 tune and too much to type.

F90 is different. The power is there. Luxury is way different from the f80. Honestly wish they had the power of the f90 in the f80 platform with awd. The space is nice. Honesty love the car. But let's see how long this love last
Then the G80 will be good for you
Finally first M3 with AWD
      03-28-2019, 05:37 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Im interested in this comparison as well as im trying to decide between the new M4 or M5

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 10:09 AM   #6
fun2drv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M5 Comp

Garage List
2023 BMW M5  [10.00]
2023 BMW M5  [0.00]
I came from a '15 M4 and '17 M2 to the M5C. Sold both cars for the M5C. I had been driving manual cars for 32 years and this is my first automatic car. I have to say that I have not touched the paddles. The M5C is a total beast and the automatic transmission works pretty darn good. My right foot is the only "weapon" required to have loads of fun.

The car is a tank. It is pretty heavy and you know that you are driving a large sedan. That being said, the power and torque are insane. The car can behave like a regular sedan until you push the accelerator pedal past the mid point, then the beast comes out and you have to really watch what you are doing because it just GOES!!!

I was pretty happy with the power level on the M4, but this is in a totally different dimension. I may go back to the next generation M4, but it will definitely be an AWD one.

I am extremely happy with the move to the M5C.

YOLO...
Appreciate 0