BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Upgrading to M5

02-20-2019, 09:16 AM   #1
LeviBruno
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Upgrading to M5

Hi all-
I currently drive an F80 M3 and plan on moving on to the new M5 this year for the added size and comfort. My wife and I are expecting twins this year and although we won't be using my car as the family hauler too often, this is a good excuse to get something bigger to "fit the family" in.

My question - going from the M3 to the M5, how much more of a comfortable ride can I expect? I currently have 19's and even in comfort mode my wife complains about the harsh ride and road noise. She drives an X5 so anything smaller is going to feel uncomfortable to her, so I'm wondering how much of a difference can I expect? I've read the threads on Competition vs. Standard and understand there's a little difference there, but going from 3 series to 5 series is my question.

Of course I haven't driven the new M5 yet and understand that would be a good first step, but just wondering what everyone thinks about the comparison and if I have a solid case here to get the M5 as I will need 'kitchen clearance' from my wife.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 09:40 AM   #2
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviBruno View Post
Hi all-
I currently drive an F80 M3 and plan on moving on to the new M5 this year for the added size and comfort. My wife and I are expecting twins this year and although we won't be using my car as the family hauler too often, this is a good excuse to get something bigger to "fit the family" in.

My question - going from the M3 to the M5, how much more of a comfortable ride can I expect? I currently have 19's and even in comfort mode my wife complains about the harsh ride and road noise. She drives an X5 so anything smaller is going to feel uncomfortable to her, so I'm wondering how much of a difference can I expect? I've read the threads on Competition vs. Standard and understand there's a little difference there, but going from 3 series to 5 series is my question.

Of course I haven't driven the new M5 yet and understand that would be a good first step, but just wondering what everyone thinks about the comparison and if I have a solid case here to get the M5 as I will need 'kitchen clearance' from my wife.

Thank you!
I have a regular F90 M5, and my bro has a competition pack F80 M3. He treats cars as well as I do, so we trade frequently. When I set off in the M3 I'm struck by how raw it is, it's more visceral and untamed, and the ride can be rough over imperfect roads. It's also louder, both with road noise and engine/exhaust. All these things are great for people that love to drive. When I get back into the M5 it feels like a luxury car comparatively. The ride is plush, even over the same rougher roads. Also after driving the M3 the amazement at the M5's freakishly strong and smooth acceleration is renewed.

I can't imagine anyone complaining about the ride quality in the M5, just a tip though - when test driving with your wife hold back on the throttle. At full throttle it feels jarring, which is fun for car people, but not so much fun for others.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 09:42 AM   #3
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

The biggest tip you should note, is that if you want the best riding/comfiest M5, buy the standard M5, and not Competition.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 09:45 AM   #4
Elanderholm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 MBB Competition

The normal m5 will be great. She will love the ride! I think the comp is smooth, but compared to the standard M5 it’s definitely rougher...it’s very noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 09:50 AM   #5
LeviBruno
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmfive View Post
I have a regular F90 M5, and my bro has a competition pack F80 M3. He treats cars as well as I do, so we trade frequently. When I set off in the M3 I'm struck by how raw it is, it's more visceral and untamed, and the ride can be rough over imperfect roads. It's also louder, both with road noise and engine/exhaust. All these things are great for people that love to drive. When I get back into the M5 it feels like a luxury car comparatively. The ride is plush, even over the same rougher roads. Also after driving the M3 the amazement at the M5's freakishly strong and smooth acceleration is renewed.

I can't imagine anyone complaining about the ride quality in the M5, just a tip though - when test driving with your wife hold back on the throttle. At full throttle it feels jarring, which is fun for car people, but not so much fun for others.
This is great. Couldn't have asked for a better comparison. Raw vs plush sounds like perfect terms for me to use as ammo in my sales pitch with her.

Although I do love the noise/jarring/excitement of the M3 I feel like it being my daily for the past 3.5 years I've become numb to what comfort can feel like. Can't wait to sink into the M5, sounds like the best of both worlds.

I appreciate the responses.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 10:32 AM   #6
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviBruno View Post
This is great. Couldn't have asked for a better comparison. Raw vs plush sounds like perfect terms for me to use as ammo in my sales pitch with her.

Although I do love the noise/jarring/excitement of the M3 I feel like it being my daily for the past 3.5 years I've become numb to what comfort can feel like. Can't wait to sink into the M5, sounds like the best of both worlds.

I appreciate the responses.
The interior of the M5 is much bigger and is visually much more luxurious. For feel...imagine moving from a queen bed with standard spring mattress to a king with firm Tempur-Pedic mattress.

My gf complains about the jerky ride in NYC traffic if the transmission is not in a compliant mode but simmers down if I stay in efficient settings.
      02-20-2019, 10:35 AM   #7
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmfive View Post
Also after driving the M3 the amazement at the M5's freakishly strong and smooth acceleration is renewed.

The wall of torque induced by the M5 feels like being caught up in a tidal wave. It is freakishly strong as you say...and I love it too, but it is definitely not for everyone. People who don't like roller coasters will not enjoy it.
      02-20-2019, 12:54 PM   #8
MWcoupe
24k GOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M4

I just had a baby girl. So moving on from a f82 was a definitely move for me and my wife. The comfort level of this car is night and day. Seats are probably one of the best of its class. I have the standard m5 with 20" wheels feels very good on comfort, I keep my car in comfort most of the time (Nyc potholes) the cherry on top of this car would be the torque converter. It's definitely one thing you would notice and love coming from f8x. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 03:35 PM   #9
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Looks like I'm the only one here who has a different view so far. I came from an F82 M4 to my new F90 M5 and although the M5 is incredibly comfortable on the motorway I find it only a little better than the M4 on the UK's (admittedly terrible) city roads.
      02-20-2019, 03:56 PM   #10
tcw495
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Just test drive it with your wife with all of the settings in comfort mode and the exhaust noise off. That will show her the benefits of it as a family car...then do another test drive alone with everything in sport plus, and you'll love it for the drives when the family isn't with you.
2005 645ci
2005 325ci
Appreciate 1
themnmd1691.00
      02-21-2019, 05:24 AM   #11
bimmerzone
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

best thing to do is test drive the M5, but generally speaking your wife will prefer the more "luxurious" M5, the M3 is stiffer and raw compared to the M5 (Non competition)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 12:36 PM   #12
Hashtag_M_Rated
///M Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 First Edition M5

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
I also moved from an F80 M3 ZCP to a much more relaxed "way quicker" F90 M5 and didn't wait for the competition package because I knew I wanted a quieter and comfortable ride. I would suggest you drive both versions of the M5 before making your decision. My pick will always be the standard M5 and maybe get an M Sport exhaust if you miss the crackles and burbles in the exhaust note

I probably would never get another M3 and just stick with M5s from now on!