BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    Italy: Rome and Amalfi Coast - input and recommendations please

02-20-2019, 12:53 PM   #23
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Be sure to visit Ravello, can't express how incredible that town is.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      02-20-2019, 01:03 PM   #24
tb's e90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f82

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
Be sure to visit Ravello, can't express how incredible that town is.
definitely will. we will probably spend about 7 nights in the area, 2 of which in capri. we tend to lean towards staying at one hotel/B&B, so which town would you recommend for that. I was thinking sorrento or positano, but not sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 04:29 PM   #25
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
go on YouTube, search "Rick Steves Amalfi".
that'll keep you busy for a couple hours.

went to Monza in 2017, stayed in Como for a week. I'd go back to Italy in a heartbeat. you'll love it!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2706.00
      02-20-2019, 05:15 PM   #26
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post

went to Monza in 2017, stayed in Como for a week. I'd go back to Italy in a heartbeat. you'll love it!
Watched that many times over the years. he does a good job showing various towns. Next trip when I go by myself or with car people I will visit the Ferrari factory in Modena and drive cars around their track.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 05:27 PM   #27
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Quote:

Watched that many times over the years. he does a good job showing various towns. Next trip when I go by myself or with car people I will visit the Ferrari factory in Modena and drive cars around their track.
I agree, Ferrari factory tour is a must do, but don't forget the Enzo Ferrari museum nearby. That's every bit as good. Also recommend, if you have the time, the Alfa Museum just outside of Milan. That may be one of the best car museums in the world. My avatar picture was taken in that museum. Lambo and Pagani museums and factory tours also great.
here's Poiseuille Jr in a trance over his hero's race car==>

Edit: spelling corrected
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-24-2019, 02:54 PM   #28
cmyE93M3
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Any recommendations on places to eat? I have yet to have a nice spaghetti and meatballs dish in Italy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Keep this thread alive please. My wife and I are planning to go to Italy in September. Thinking Rome for only 2 days or so, with the rest of the time between Amalfi Coast and Florence.

We'll be there for two weeks. So any recommendations on where to eat and stay in Amalfi as well as Florence would be great.
It's actually hard to get a bad meal or poor quality wine where you will be going. My family and I never planned where to eat when we went. We asked locals (hotel staff mainly) for recommendations and just picked places based on atmosphere of the restaurant. That is what I find different about eating in Italy in general. Quality food is a given, now you look for the restaurant setting, inside/outside, fish based menu, meat etc...
2020 Toyota 4Runner TRD (fun truck)
2014 Tesla Model S P85 (wicked car)
2011.5 E92 M3 | Space Grey | ADV.1?s
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 09:39 PM   #29
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Was only in Italy once when my ship stopped for a liberty call in Gaeta which is about a one or two hours drive north of Amalfi. Don't know if you're interested in military history but Salerno is very close to where you're going and that's where the Allies invaded the mainland. Have a great time.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams

Last edited by N54Yankee; 02-24-2019 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 08:41 PM   #30
rbhjr01462
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, X3

Thumbs up Positano

The roads along the Amalfi coast are very narrow and full of buses and crazy drivers and very crowded at times. You would not be able to enjoy the beauty if you drove, you would be so focused on not driving off the cliff and getting killed you would miss a lot. From Rome take a train to Naples. From Naples take train to Salerno. A ferry will take you along the coast to Positano. Stay at one of the many nice places (not cheap) there. Hotel Flavio Goia is where we stayed last time, real nice people and a great location. In Positano go the Restaurante da Costantino. They will pick you up in a van, just tip the guy a few euros. The restaurant is high up the hill and the view is worth it itself. Lots of locals go there which is a good sign. Not an extensive menu, but price is reasonable and the food is good. For transport back to Rome, take Joe Banana Limo for the 90min Van Ride (Mercedes vans) back to Naples - then a few hours trip back to Rome. I would go back to Rome and Positano tomorrow if I could.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 05:32 PM   #31
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

We drove from Rome to Praiano on the Amalfi Coast and spent 5 days there. I thoroughly enjoyed the drive. There was only tight corner in town where a bus was coming the opposite way and there are buildings, corners, pedestrians, and cars parked on both sides where it got a bit tight. The bus driver was sitting higher so he told me I had room to which I just inched over to pass him and we were fine. If you enjoy driving and somewhat of a challenge, I’d highly recommend it! Just about done with the trip and heading back home soon.
Appreciate 2
Poiseuille5362.00
M_Six16535.00
      05-01-2019, 05:34 PM   #32
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Few pix
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Poiseuille5362.00
M_Six16535.00
      05-01-2019, 09:07 PM   #33
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

We head that way in a couple of weeks. We start with a week in Munich, then head to Italy where we will stay in Matera and Atrani for 5 nights each.
      05-02-2019, 08:02 AM   #34
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

For those considering where to stay, I’d recommend either Praiano (where we stayed) or Positano. Praiano was nice and quiet. Loves the peacefulness and close proximity to other towns. Positano is also not that crowded and has more dramatic cliff side homes. We really liked Praiano. I wouldn’t recommend staying in Amalfi. It was way too crowded and congested. Very glad I did the research and followed my guts and stayed in Praiano vs Amalfi (the latter would have drove me mad due to all the commotion).
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 11:33 AM   #35
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Any recommendations for hotel in Rome with parking?

We did Lucerne, Como, Milan, Cinque Terre, Florence last time. This time wanna go Rome and Amalfi with a kid
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 01:38 PM   #36
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
Any recommendations for hotel in Rome with parking?

We did Lucerne, Como, Milan, Cinque Terre, Florence last time. This time wanna go Rome and Amalfi with a kid
See if you could book a nice airbnb with parking. Hotels often charge 20-40E per night for parking which is insane! We stayed at an airbnb in Praiano that had parking. Just parked it there for 5 days and took public transportation the whole time while there.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 02:13 PM   #37
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Going to Italy in about 2 months and looking to book accommodations and asking for recommendations of places to eat/visit (besides the obvious places). I have been there once few years ago as part of my 4 month trip around the globe: visited Florence, Rome, and Sienna. This time I only have about 8 days and landing in Rome first. Will have 3 other people with me so playing a bit of a tour guide. Itinerary and questions below.

Rome
- 2-3 days here to see the major sites and catch up to local time.
- been here before so don’t want to spend too much time
- planning on getting an Airbnb in the Trastevere area (stayed 100m from the Colosseum last time)

Amalfi Coast
- the rest of the time will be in the Amalfi Coast
- should we rent a car? I don’t mind driving but if parking situation sucks I’d rather not.
- which town(s) to visit? Not sure how long the drive is. Since we don’t have that much time and need to make it back to Rome for our flight back, I’m hoping to use one of the towns as a base for 4 days and do 1, maybe 2 day trips.
- this is where I need the most input since it looks like everyone has different intake on which town to visit and whether to drive or take public transportation

Appreciate the input and thank you in advance!
Don't go to "Olive Garden" while on the Amalfi coast.......
Appreciate 1
Poiseuille5362.00
      05-02-2019, 02:48 PM   #38
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Any recommendations on places to eat? I have yet to have a nice spaghetti and meatballs dish in Italy.
I hope you are joking... bc there is no such thing in Italy. Spaghetti and meatballs can only be found in the USA. Its a American invention like the meatball sub.

Quote:
I agree, Ferrari factory tour is a must do, but don't forget the Enzo Ferrari museum nearby. That's every bit as good. Also recommend, if you have the time, the Alpha Museum just outside of Milan. That may be one of the best car museums in the world. My avatar picture was taken in that museum. Lambo and Pagani museums and factory tours also great.

I think you meant Alfa or Alfa Romeo Museum. Yes I agree it's quite a nice place.

Alfa Romeo Museum
Museo Storico Alfa Romeo
Viale Alfa Romeo, 20020 Arese MI, Italy

Other great auto museum in Italy are...

In Turin...

Museo Nazionale dell'Automobile
(Museo dell'Automobile di Torino)
Corso Unità d'Italia, 40, 10126 Torino TO, Italy

In the Modena area...

Musée automobile PANINI
(Collezione Umberto Panini)
Str. Corletto Sud, 320, 41100 Modena MO, Italy

The Panini Collection is located on a working farm(Hombre Farms) where they make Parmesan cheese and raise cows & pigs. Mr Panini made his money in making football(soccer) playing cards... he has one of the premiere Maserati collections in the world. Best part... this museum is free to visit!

Museo Lamborghini
Lambo Museum and Factory
Via Modena, 12, 40019 Sant'Agata Bolognese BO, Italy

a private Lambo museum... but its really very nice!! And worth a visit.

Museo Ferruccio Lamborghini
Strada provinciale 4 Galliera Sud, 319, 40050 Casette di Funo BO, Italy

Ferrari Museum
(Museo Ferrari)
Via Alfredo Dino Ferrari, 43, 41053 Maranello MO, Italy

across the street from the Ferrari Factory is the world famous Ristorante Cavallino. A good place for lunch.

Ristorante Cavallino
Il Cavallino Ristorante
Via Abetone Inferiore, 1, 41053 Maranello MO, Italy

Next door is the Ferrari Store...
Ferrari Store Maranello
Via Abetone Inferiore, 19, 41053 Maranello MO, Italy

In Modena there is another Ferrari museum where Enzo built his first race cars and where he lived for a while. Ultra modern and cool.

Enzo Ferrari Museum
Museo Enzo Ferrari
Via Paolo Ferrari, 85, 41121 Modena MO, Italy

In Brescia...

Museo Mille Miglia
Museo della Mille Miglia
Viale della Bornata, 123, 25135 Brescia BS, Italy

In Verona...

Museo Nicolis
Viale Postumia, 71, 37069 Villafranca di Verona VR, Italy
Appreciate 1
Poiseuille5362.00
      05-02-2019, 03:32 PM   #39
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I hope you are joking... bc there is no such thing in Italy. Spaghetti and meatballs can only be found in the USA. Its a American invention like the meatball sub.
I assumed that after the 2015 trip to Italy and no meatballs. But a former colleague who was part Italian said they do have it there so I Googled it and apparently some places do have that. On this last trip 2 weeks ago I had dinner at a local place in Trastevere and they did serve spaghetti with meatballs so I ordered it. It was fantastic!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 04:02 PM   #40
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Quote:

Quote:
I agree, Ferrari factory tour is a must do, but don't forget the Enzo Ferrari museum nearby. That's every bit as good. Also recommend, if you have the time, the Alpha Museum just outside of Milan. That may be one of the best car museums in the world. My avatar picture was taken in that museum. Lambo and Pagani museums and factory tours also great.

I think you meant Alfa or Alfa Romeo Museum. Yes I agree it's quite a nice place.

Alfa Romeo Museum
Museo Storico Alfa Romeo
Viale Alfa Romeo, 20020 Arese MI, Italy

Other great auto museum in Italy are...

In Turin...

Museo Nazionale dell'Automobile
(Museo dell'Automobile di Torino)
Corso Unità d'Italia, 40, 10126 Torino TO, Italy

In the Modena area...

Musée automobile PANINI
(Collezione Umberto Panini)
Str. Corletto Sud, 320, 41100 Modena MO, Italy

The Panini Collection is located on a working farm(Hombre Farms) where they make Parmesan cheese and raise cows & pigs. Mr Panini made his money in making football(soccer) playing cards... he has one of the premiere Maserati collections in the world. Best part... this museum is free to visit!

Museo Lamborghini
Lambo Museum and Factory
Via Modena, 12, 40019 Sant'Agata Bolognese BO, Italy

a private Lambo museum... but its really very nice!! And worth a visit.

Museo Ferruccio Lamborghini
Strada provinciale 4 Galliera Sud, 319, 40050 Casette di Funo BO, Italy

Ferrari Museum
(Museo Ferrari)
Via Alfredo Dino Ferrari, 43, 41053 Maranello MO, Italy

across the street from the Ferrari Factory is the world famous Ristorante Cavallino. A good place for lunch.

Ristorante Cavallino
Il Cavallino Ristorante
Via Abetone Inferiore, 1, 41053 Maranello MO, Italy

Next door is the Ferrari Store...
Ferrari Store Maranello
Via Abetone Inferiore, 19, 41053 Maranello MO, Italy

In Modena there is another Ferrari museum where Enzo built his first race cars and where he lived for a while. Ultra modern and cool.

Enzo Ferrari Museum
Museo Enzo Ferrari
Via Paolo Ferrari, 85, 41121 Modena MO, Italy

In Brescia...

Museo Mille Miglia
Museo della Mille Miglia
Viale della Bornata, 123, 25135 Brescia BS, Italy

In Verona...

Museo Nicolis
Viale Postumia, 71, 37069 Villafranca di Verona VR, Italy
oy, yes i did mean Alfa, thanks

I very much agree regarding Umberto Panini's farm. What a great place==>
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      05-02-2019, 05:51 PM   #41
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
See if you could book a nice airbnb with parking. Hotels often charge 20-40E per night for parking which is insane! We stayed at an airbnb in Praiano that had parking. Just parked it there for 5 days and took public transportation the whole time while there.
Thanks. Yes I will think about it. Generally I am not a fan of airbnb, I heard some horror stories and dont like extra stress when on vacation. My last 2 hotels in Italy were among the best I have ever stayed too (on the budget i mean) I actually got $10 per night parking at cinque terre right at front door. Surprisingly parking at Como was free with hotel stay.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      05-02-2019, 06:01 PM   #42
ec90
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Went to Rome, Florence, and Venice last summer. Rome is a unique set of chaos. Absolutely amazing history and a must see but we would have scaled down Rome to 2 nights and bumped Venice up to 4 if we had to do it again.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00