BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery    Sales tax in California

12-23-2018, 11:06 PM   #1
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Sales tax in California

Anyone else have the same rule as California when it comes to sales tax? Here the state charges tax on the full MSRP of the car. That is before any down payment, cash back or trade in. Would not be so bad except the tax is 8.5% where I am in San Francisco Bay area. So basically any negotiated discount and loyalty cash is negated. Sorry just a rant while planning my M5 order in the spring.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 05:22 AM   #2
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Anyone else have the same rule as California when it comes to sales tax? Here the state charges tax on the full MSRP of the car. That is before any down payment, cash back or trade in. Would not be so bad except the tax is 8.5% where I am in San Francisco Bay area. So basically any negotiated discount and loyalty cash is negated. Sorry just a rant while planning my M5 order in the spring.

Rob
Wait. You said full MSRP.

Let's say MSRP is $120,000, you negotiate down the price of the vehicle to $112,000. Forget everything else, you'd still pay tax on $120,000. That cannot be legal/true. You didn't buy something for $120,000.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 07:33 AM   #3
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post
Quote:

Rob

Let's say MSRP is $120,000, you negotiate down the price of the vehicle to $112,000. Forget everything else, you'd still pay tax on $120,000. That cannot be legal/true. You didn't buy something for $120,000.
Yes that is true. Also, say I buy a couple of cell phones from Verizon or whoever. They have a sale half price when you buy 2 phones. I would pay the tax of full retail on both. That's why it's Taxafornia
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 09:21 AM   #4
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

California is as out of control as NJ! Ridiculous!
      12-24-2018, 09:30 AM   #5
Quickburn7
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw M5

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Rob

Yes that is true. Also, say I buy a couple of cell phones from Verizon or whoever. They have a sale half price when you buy 2 phones. I would pay the tax of full retail on both. That's why it's Taxafornia
I don't think that's correct. You pay tax on the cash price of vehicle. So if msrp is 120k and negotiated price is $110k than you pay tax (9.5% in my part of CA) on the $110k. If dealer is making you pay on the msrp than they are doing something very wrong. In CA you pay tax on what you pay even at Verizon. You get 2 phones for $50 you pay tax on the $50 not the value of each phone individually.
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00
      12-24-2018, 10:03 AM   #6
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
https://www.salestaxhandbook.com/cal...s-tax-vehicles

To my knowledge only a few states do this. A way around it would be a lease,only paying tax on each lease payment. Which would cut it roughly half given the 50% depreciation, plus the MF. Oh and the high license fee based on car value. Err a tax!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 10:10 AM   #7
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...latorweb/index

Calculate the tax
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 10:41 AM   #8
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Get the hell out of California.

Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 10:55 AM   #9
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Get the hell out of California.

Problem solved.
in about 10 years to retire. kids still in school and my family is here too. so it makes it hard.my wife and I have discussed it
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 11:21 AM   #10
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:

Rob
In CA, a Use Tax is assessed (tangible personal property Tax) on vehicles/boats/planes at the same rate as the state + applicable local jurisdiction Special Additional Tax based on the purchaser's domicile.

If purchasing, it's based on the selling price (not MSRP).
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 05:00 PM   #11
dbonebre
Rep
Drives: '22 F90C '18 F90 '16 991GTS

Maryland is similar - tax on the sale price irregardless if is a lease or outright purchase. Fortunately, the entire sales tax paid on one vehicle can be passed onto another vehicle in a direct transaction i.e. if you lease a 100k car, Maryland rolls in 6% (6000) into the lease payments; however, there is essentially $6000 in sales tax equity which can be fully realized if turned in and applied towards another lease of 100k or greater (lesser if the new vehicle is below the sales price of the prior vehicle). The subsequent vehicle would not have any sales tax. Maryland has allowed this for the past several years.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 06:08 PM   #12
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Quote:

Rob
In CA, a Use Tax is assessed (tangible personal property Tax) on vehicles/boats/planes at the same rate as the state + applicable local jurisdiction Special Additional Tax based on the purchaser's domicile.

not when registering you car
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 06:11 PM   #13
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbonebre View Post
Maryland is similar - tax on the sale price irregardless if is a lease or outright purchase. Fortunately, the entire sales tax paid on one vehicle can be passed onto another vehicle in a direct transaction i.e. if you lease a 100k car, Maryland rolls in 6% (6000) into the lease payments; however, there is essentially $6000 in sales tax equity which can be fully realized if turned in and applied towards another lease of 100k or greater (lesser if the new vehicle is below the sales price of the prior vehicle). The subsequent vehicle would not have any sales tax. Maryland has allowed this for the past several years.
wow that even worse. at least California you only pay sales tax on each monthly payment
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 06:31 PM   #14
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Quote:

Rob

not when registering you car
Yes it is on a new purchase. Lease and used/out-of-state is different. There is no credit for trade however.

*Licensed CA Dealer

Rebates/incentives from manufacturer to customer do not reduce the purchase price. They have the same consideration as cash on a purchase. Manufacturer to dealer incentives do count as a non-taxable reduction.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 11:38 AM   #15
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Rob

OP, every state would charge you tax on both phones since Verizon issues the free one in the form of monthly bill credits, that's why. So technically you are buying it, but receive a monthly credit on your bill to offset the financed amount.

Most carriers do this so they can tie you into two years (contract style) since paying the phone off would terminate the monthly bill credits and you'd lose the remainder.

Agreed though about California's ridiculous taxes. Back in the day when 2 year contracts were still a thing, you'd buy the phone at a discount (2 year price) and only pay tax on the purchase (sale) price. In Cali it would be on the full price of the phone.

Bought an S5 for 199 back in the day and paid 70 bucks in tax lol.
      12-25-2018, 08:21 PM   #16
Gassy
Soporificist
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5- Rhodonite/Aragon

In South Carolina the total sales tax is $500. If you buy a $10,000 or $120,000 car, sales tax (which is termed a Road Maintenance Fee) maxes at $500. In North Carolina, it's 3% of the total sales price (not MSRP- that's absurd and excessive taxation). The answer: get the f out of The Peoples' Republic of California.
themnmd1687.00